koshiita stiffener for hakamas

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
      friends,
      this is only off topic if Japanese clothing is... I repair hakamas for
      martial artists, and am wondering if anyone has come across a really
      good stiffener for the little trapezoid in the back (Koshiita). I've
      tried just layers of stiff interfacing quilted together, not stiff
      enough. I've tried needlepoint canvas sandwiched in stiff interfacing,
      and it eventually cracks. Of course, the plastic that comes in the new
      hakamas cracks too. I'd love to figure out something that didn't
      require constant repair/replacement!
      thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
        >> Of course, the plastic that comes in the new
        hakamas cracks too. I'd love to figure out something that didn't
        require constant repair/replacement!

        What about real horse hair canvas, the heavy duty kind. It's pretty thick,
        but also expensive.

        -Cat-

        _____

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
          Have you tried Timtex? http://www.timtexstore.com/

          This is the stuff used for fabric bowls, ball cap and hat brims, etc. The
          store sells just a small amount (they call it a "onesie") to try it out, or
          in as much as 75 yd rolls.

          Good luck!!
          Sandy

          At 11:50 AM 8/4/2005, you wrote:
          >I repair hakamas for martial artists, and am wondering if anyone has come
          >across a really good stiffener for the little trapezoid in the back
          >(Koshiita). I've tried just layers of stiff interfacing quilted together,
          >not stiff enough. I've tried needlepoint canvas sandwiched in stiff
          >interfacing, and it eventually cracks. Of course, the plastic that comes
          >in the new hakamas cracks too. I'd love to figure out something that
          >didn't require constant repair/replacement!
          >thanks

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.