Re: [F-Costume] Hairpins

  • Jeanine Swick
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
      On page 142 of "The Tudor Tailor" there is a detailed photo description
      of braiding ribbon into hair and wrapping the braids around your head.

      Jeanine

    • aquazoo@patriot.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
        Check out the Yahoogroup, FandIWoman.

        For 18thC, I just wrap my hair into a bun without braiding it first.
        If you do braid it first, it won't "undo" once it's in a bun. So you
        don't need to tie off the ends. If necessary, you can use an elastic
        band at the end and slip it off just as you do the last wrap. Tuck
        the end under the rest of the bun, but if you've been playing with
        long hair you already know this!

        18thC hairpins are a U shape without the squiggly sides you find in
        modern hairpins. Vermont Country Store makes extra-long hairpins
        (modern & squiggly), which are very helpful with long, thick hair.
        The ends are laquered but not rubber. Don't bother with the plastic
        (tortise color)hairpins — they break on me in a hurry.

        It's great that you want to be as correct as possible, but plenty of
        people use modern tricks under the cap and concentrate their efforts
        on what's visible. Hairspray, barettes, combs — whatever it takes.
        (Just be careful of scented products because they may attract bees.)
        You may need to help girls with modern haircuts, and also remember it
        was not the fashion to wear bangs or fringe.

        Another trick with caps is to pin them on top with a straight pin
        through the hair. Some caps can be very slippery, and wind can be a
        factor, too. There is a French cap style that's very small and
        covers the bun and not much else — very cute! The Fleur de Lyse
        patterns have several cap styles including this one.

        -Carol

        >> I will be going to several French and Indian wars rendesvouz with my
        >> 4H group this year, and it is required that we come as period correct
        >> as possible. My costume is in progress and going fine, but I've got a
        >> dilemma. My hair is fairly long, at 3 1/2 feet measured from the
        >> scalp, and I need to be able to pin it up and stuff it under a cap.
      • jehanni2
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Hannah" <nienorniniel6@...> wrote:
          <<I think that I will tie my hair off with brown thread using the
          ribbon method>>

          Actually, Hannah, I tie my hair off with....hair. It's handy if you
          don't happen to have any tools with you, and I imagine that someone,
          somewhere, somewhen else probably discovered that you could do this,
          too.

          I braid my hair until I have a "tassel" of about 4 inches
          left...depending on how thick your ends are (mine are thin and whispy
          by that time), you might need a little more length. From the tassel I
          separate a strand that is as long as possible (don't use the short
          hairs) and about 1/8 inch thick. I wrap the thin strand around the rest
          of the tassel once, and tuck it from the top to the bottom over the
          first twist of the strand in between the tassel and the strand....this
          makes a half-hitch knot. Pull it tight, so that the strand secures the
          bottom of the braid.

          Keeping the tension tight on the strand, I pick up two similar thin
          strands from the body of the tassel, and braid a tight little "mouse-
          tail" braid the rest of the way...until I run out of hair. This keeps
          the strand from loosening up, and freeing the braid.

          My final step grosses out my sister, but it's critical: lick the
          mousetail.

          The moisture keeps the mousetail from unraveling, and the slight
          glueiness of the saliva tends to hold the mousetail together even when
          it's dry. This tieless braid lasts for me most or all day, depending on
          how active I am. If I tuck it under a french braid, it lasts longer
          than if I let the tail swing free.

          If you prefer to use thread to secure the mousetail, you can, if you
          have some handy. Since it's so small diameter at this point, thread
          will do just fine to anchor it.

          Jonatha