sculpey question

  • Cillista
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3 1:46 PM
      Hey everyone, i need info from those who've used sculpey before. I'm
      making Princess Leia's slave costume for my friend and since i've
      never used meatal before, on a time and money budget, i opted for
      sculpey instead of the real deal. I'm a little nervous that the all
      the "metal" sculpey peices will break and fall off while she's wearing
      it. So is there anything i can put on it to strengthen it or make it
      more durable etc.? Or do you think it will be ok as is? Thanks for the
      info!

      Cillista
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3 2:18 PM
        >> I'm
        making Princess Leia's slave costume for my friend and since i've
        never used meatal before, on a time and money budget, i opted for
        sculpey instead of the real deal. I'm a little nervous that the all
        the "metal" sculpey peices will break and fall off while she's wearing
        it. So is there anything i can put on it to strengthen it or make it
        more durable etc.?

        Sculpy will not stand up to that much stress.... it will shatter and break.
        To strengthen, on smaller pieces you can use wire.... but for something as
        big as a belt, it's not going to work. The original is metal, but folks are
        using resin, latex, foam, wonder flex, wonder magic, etc to do the pieces.

        If you google you'll find a lot of folks talking about it...
        http://www.leiasmetalbikini.com/make.html has some tips.

      • Cillista
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3 3:04 PM
          Thanks Cat. Where can i get resin, latex or foam? I've never used any
          of those and sounds like they might be difficult to work with. I need
          to get this done asap so i can't wait around for stuff to be shipped.
          All we have is a Jo Ann's, wal-mart and a hobby lobby. This makes me
          want to cry i spent about 7 hrs doing the top and some other peices
          and now i'm gonna have to trash them...
        • Ann Garner
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3 3:40 PM
            At 05:04 PM 9/3/2006, you wrote:
            >Thanks Cat. Where can i get resin, latex or foam? I've never used any
            >of those and sounds like they might be difficult to work with. I need
            >to get this done asap so i can't wait around for stuff to be shipped.
            >All we have is a Jo Ann's, wal-mart and a hobby lobby. This makes me
            >want to cry i spent about 7 hrs doing the top and some other peices
            >and now i'm gonna have to trash them...

            Don't trash them.....they can be used to make the plaster mold to do
            the resin. You should be able to get both the plaster and the resin
            at Hobby Lobby.

            Ann in Arkansas
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3 8:32 PM
              >>Where can i get resin, latex or foam? I've never used any
              of those and sounds like they might be difficult to work with. I need
              to get this done asap so i can't wait around for stuff to be shipped.
              All we have is a Jo Ann's, wal-mart and a hobby lobby. This makes me
              want to cry i spent about 7 hrs doing the top and some other peices
              and now i'm gonna have to trash them...

              Rushing any costume is going to cut down on your results. Around here we
              always talk about testing so that you can avoid having to remake the whole
              thing. Sculpy is rigid and doesn't flex. You need a flexible and somewhat
              strong material.

              If you search on the ACS site you'll find tips and links about working with
              fun foam... Here's the main link, but there are lot more tips on the site in
              the scrapbook: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/Cheat/FunFoam.htm
              You'll want to back it with fabric for strength. Fun foam you'll find at
              Michaels and other craft stores.

              I quick scanned a few of the tutorials cardboard and Caryola Magic in one
              case. That's even at Toys r Us.

              Resins and latex all take skill and time to work right. There are safety
              issues and they cost more. Resin is a 2 part compound you need to create
              the mold... but as pointed out earlier, you do have the positive made
              already. After the mold is made then you have to cast it... and then
              finish it. Google for the techniques.... but you don't want to rush these.

              There's a yahoo group on those links I gave you earlier that I bet has lots
              of suggestions specifically for that outfit already written. (That's not
              to chase you away from here... keep asking questions... but they'll have a
              lot of been there, done that experience on those pieces.)

              On thing to remember, responses will be slow on a lot of costume lists....
              most of the universe is at Dragoncon or on vacation this weekend. Just a
              couple of us around holding down the fort.

              (heck, the reports I'm hearing of Dragon con have me drooling... so many
              costumes... so much fun.)

              -Cat-
            • vylettefairwell
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4 11:01 AM
                Have you tried Crayola Model Magic? It's available almost everywhere
                they sell craft stuff, when in doubt look in the kids arts and crafts
                section. My best description of it is, its like raw craft foam clay

                When I lose enough weight to earn my Leia Slave Bikini this is waht
                I'm going to use.

                I would make the basic bikini shape out of wire, the stiffer the
                better, nothing too soft and jewelry like, but easy enough for you to
                work with and bend. Then sculpt over it with the model magic. Don't
                fret about the colors, because you can paint it.

                Now Model magic does have it's draw backs, it doesn't hold deatil very
                well, and seams tend to never really disapear. But it weighs almost
                nothing, it's slighly felxible, needs no special equipment, easily
                repairable, and you can sew into it.

                Now I tend to almost always coat my Model magic work with some papier
                mache. It gives it a little more rigidity, covers up bothersome
                seams, and allows to to add some finer details that the model magic
                regects. I then coat my sculpture with gesso, and paint away.

                Ask me any questions

                Arabella

                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cillista" <Bloodofthereaper@...> wrote:

                > Hey everyone, i need info from those who've used sculpey before. I'm
                > making Princess Leia's slave costume for my friend and since i've
                > never used meatal before, on a time and money budget, i opted for
                > sculpey instead of the real deal. I'm a little nervous that the all
                > the "metal" sculpey peices will break and fall off while she's wearing
                > it. So is there anything i can put on it to strengthen it or make it
                > more durable etc.? Or do you think it will be ok as is? Thanks for the
                > info!
                >
                > Cillista

              • elvestoorder
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4 12:22 PM
                  --- vylettefairwell" <arabella> wrote:
                  > Have you tried Crayola Model Magic?
                  >
                  > Arabella

                  In my brief experience with Model Magic--it is lighter than any of the
                  sculpey products, and has zero strength.

                  If Super Sculpey isn't suitable for a project because it is too weak,
                  I really doubt Model Magic is going to work.

                  I'm in the 'scuplt the item out of Super Sculpey, then cast it out of
                  something strong like resin possibly with metal armature' school
                  myself, but I'm unlikely ever to wish to try.

                  Ann in CT
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4 1:19 PM
                    >>In my brief experience with Model Magic--it is lighter than any of the
                    sculpey products, and has zero strength.

                    Yes... but it has a bit of flexibility. The Sculpey doesn't. The suclpey
                    even if backed onto something, will shatter with much flexing at all. You
                    can add wire for a bit of strength.. but it's not going to handle the body
                    flex the way the CMM will. And the CMM is easier to repair if there's a
                    problem after wearing.

                    Thinking about the problem... if not casting it, I'd love to use wonderflex
                    and half circle foam tubing (or even weights of rope), added with t-shirt
                    paint for the finer lines (very flexible)... but the first two have to be
                    ordered.

                    >>'m in the 'scuplt the item out of Super Sculpey, then cast it out of
                    something strong like resin possibly with metal armature' school
                    myself, but I'm unlikely ever to wish to try.

                    I think she's into the standard quagmire of time vs. money vs. accuracy.
                    She's mentioned that she has no time... so that rules out a lot of options.
                    I don't know if she has a budget which allows for the casting options...
                    that's dollars...

                    The least expensive may be backing fun foam with plastic canvas or fabric
                    (depending on the piece). Build it up with rope glued down and model magic
                    on top. Using t-shirt paints for painting (remember these can be watered
                    down for the over layers). If there's time for more layers to dry before
                    the painting... then it can have modge-podge, paper machc or anything else
                    as choice layers...

                    The hardening stuff/glaze also adds cost.... and time

                  • bonmothma
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 4 2:24 PM
                      If I were making that, I'd use craft foam. You can get it almost
                      anywhere you buy craft stuff. I've seen lots of great metallic-
                      looking stuff made that way. If you use a paint with some reflective
                      quality, flash photography makes it look even better.

                      Jedi Elf Queen's always had great tutorials on this sort of thing.

                      www.jedielfqueen.com Go to Eomer's armor.

                      And yeah, only a few of us around. I wish I'd been at Dragon*Con
                      this year *sigh*

                      Namarie,
                      Bonnie Half-Elven

                      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>
                      wrote:

                      > >>Where can i get resin, latex or foam? I've never used any
                      > of those and sounds like they might be difficult to work with. I
                      need
                      > to get this done asap so i can't wait around for stuff to be
                      shipped.
                      > All we have is a Jo Ann's, wal-mart and a hobby lobby. This makes
                      me
                      > want to cry i spent about 7 hrs doing the top and some other peices
                      > and now i'm gonna have to trash them...
                      >
                      > Rushing any costume is going to cut down on your results. Around
                      here we
                      > always talk about testing so that you can avoid having to remake
                      the whole
                      > thing. Sculpy is rigid and doesn't flex. You need a flexible and
                      somewhat
                      > strong material.
                      >
                      > If you search on the ACS site you'll find tips and links about
                      working with
                      > fun foam... Here's the main link, but there are lot more tips on
                      the site in
                      > the scrapbook:
                      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/Cheat/FunFoam.htm
                      > You'll want to back it with fabric for strength. Fun foam you'll
                      find at
                      > Michaels and other craft stores.
                      >
                      > I quick scanned a few of the tutorials cardboard and Caryola Magic
                      in one
                      > case. That's even at Toys r Us.
                      >
                      > Resins and latex all take skill and time to work right. There are
                      safety
                      > issues and they cost more. Resin is a 2 part compound you need to
                      create
                      > the mold... but as pointed out earlier, you do have the positive
                      made
                      > already. After the mold is made then you have to cast it... and
                      then
                      > finish it. Google for the techniques.... but you don't want to
                      rush these.

                      > There's a yahoo group on those links I gave you earlier that I bet
                      has lots
                      > of suggestions specifically for that outfit already written.
                      (That's not
                      > to chase you away from here... keep asking questions... but they'll
                      have a
                      > lot of been there, done that experience on those pieces.)
                      >

                      > On thing to remember, responses will be slow on a lot of costume
                      lists....
                      > most of the universe is at Dragoncon or on vacation this weekend.
                      Just a
                      > couple of us around holding down the fort.
                      >
                      > (heck, the reports I'm hearing of Dragon con have me drooling... so
                      many
                      > costumes... so much fun.)
                      >
                      > -Cat-

                    • Cillista
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4 4:39 PM
                        Thanks for the info guys. I know i have a 3-way dilemma, but
                        considering i suddenly had 2 more costumes to do as of last weekend
                        there's not much i can do about it... Although, this has got to be
                        one of the most interesting costumes i'll ever do (how many ppl get
                        the chance to make a metal bikini?)
                        I've also asked this same question over at the yahoo forum for this
                        costume a few days ago. It seems the consensus among them is that the
                        model magic just doesn't hold up. Most seem to be using the wire base
                        for the top and i've even seen someone use a cut trashcan for the
                        bottom peices on the skirt and covered everything with the sculpey
                        super flex (most of them are using that). Cat you mentioned wonder
                        flex, how is that different from sculpey super flex? And since you
                        mentioned using foamy peices, is there any kind of stuff that is
                        liquid like that you can pour into a mold that becomes foam or
                        something like foam that's flexible? Also, can you buy small strips
                        of foam kinda like funnoodle type foam, maybe that might be something
                        to consider.
                        For now i'm gonna try the super flex sculpey this week and see what
                        happens (i thought of a way to make the assembly go a little
                        quicker). I went ahead and baked the regular stuff i'd already made
                        out of curiosity. I'm glad i'm not using it cause part of it broke
                        before and after. Thanks again for the info.

                        Cillista

                        Oh, ps. i figured everyone was away at dragoncon, and i've also used
                        jedielf's link before, it is helpful.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4 5:16 PM
                          >> It seems the consensus among them is that the
                          model magic just doesn't hold up.

                          It won't take abuse.... but it's fast and easy to locate for a quick
                          costume. Folks use it on headpieces a lot because it's so light.

                          >> Most seem to be using the wire base
                          for the top

                          That's going to get you the closest... but you may not have the time to get
                          the different wire weights you need... why I also mentioned rope as a fast
                          fix.... though rope with have a texture.

                          >> and i've even seen someone use a cut trashcan for the
                          bottom peices on the skirt

                          Yea... you've got a whole other set of options for the base.... a metal base
                          isn't going to flex as much. Making it out of cardboard, fun foam on cloth,
                          etc... the decoration is going to need more flex.... so it's a combination
                          of attempts.

                          >> Cat you mentioned wonder
                          flex, how is that different from sculpey super flex?

                          Wonderflex for the base layer, not the decorative bits.

                          >>And since you
                          mentioned using foamy peices, is there any kind of stuff that is
                          liquid like that you can pour into a mold that becomes foam or
                          something like foam that's flexible?

                          That's foam latex. I was referring to fun foam on base... or foam tubing
                          for the edge decorations.

                          >>Also, can you buy small strips
                          of foam kinda like funnoodle type foam, maybe that might be something
                          to consider.

                          Depends on what you have access to. I can just walk into Foam Mart and pick
                          anything... but that's includes 1/4 thick sheets the size of a piece of
                          plywood of closed cell foam... when fun foam won't quite do it... or is too
                          small. So... get out a phone book... and you can also call hobby stores.

                          >> I went ahead and baked the regular stuff i'd already made
                          out of curiosity. I'm glad i'm not using it cause part of it broke
                          before and after.

                          You can glue it together so you have it for a mode if you go that route when
                          you have more time.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 4 6:46 PM
                            Cat Devereaux wrote:

                            > Sculpy will not stand up to that much stress.... it will shatter and break.
                            > To strengthen, on smaller pieces you can use wire.... but for something as
                            > big as a belt, it's not going to work. The original is metal, but folks are
                            > using resin, latex, foam, wonder flex, wonder magic, etc to do the pieces.

                            Aves Apoxy Sculpt. Available at hobby (not craft) stores.

                            -judy
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 5 3:11 PM
                              I've almost but not quite actually done this, but what about a version of
                              paper mache I heard about, where you use fabric strips instead of paper,
                              and a good glue like maybe Sobo or Aleenes instead of paste, so the
                              finished shapes would have the strength of the cloth, the stiffness and
                              resilience of the glue? I almost used this to make some helmets for
                              costumes one year, and then I found someone to make something more like
                              actual helmets for me, so I didn't have to. But I did test a little bit of
                              putting the glue on the fabric to see how it would come out, and I thought
                              it might work. Then I guess you would paint the finished thing with
                              acrylic/fabric medium.
                            • Johanna Breijer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 6 3:29 PM
                                Hi
                                I have used a variation of this method. You use fabric strips or
                                strips of paper towel. Dip them in slush mold latex, and apply to a
                                bra cup. You only need 3-4 layers. It is strong, flexable, and you
                                can paint it with metallic paints. Use a thin coat of paint and
                                cover with 2 coats of varnish(to stop any paint transfer and stop
                                the stickiness from the metallic paint.) Use a matt or semi gloss
                                varnish. Gloss varnishes stay sticky. Use Ultra gloss metallics by
                                DecoArt. They give good coverage in a thin application. Avoid Puffy
                                paints, fabric paints, and especially vynil paints meant for shoes.
                                They all crack, stay sticky, and are horrible to remove.
                                Johanna
                                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Strong <sarahstrong@...>