Hairpins

  • Hannah
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hey everyone, and especially the history buffs. I realize this may be
      a bit off topic, being historical and not fantasy, but it may be
      helpful in both areas.
      I will be going to several French and Indian wars rendesvouz with my
      4H group this year, and it is required that we come as period correct
      as possible. My costume is in progress and going fine, but I've got a
      dilemma. My hair is fairly long, at 3 1/2 feet measured from the
      scalp, and I need to be able to pin it up and stuff it under a cap.
      For this I need elastics and hairpins, but don't want to use, well,
      elastics and hairpins.
      More specifically, rubber and plastic. Does anyone know of a place
      online that I could find good, sturdy metal, bone or horn pins without
      rubber or plastic nubs?
      I also need a way to tie off the ends of my heavy braids without using
      elastics. Ribbons are of course an option, but they invariably fall
      off. I'd appreciate any ideas.
      Thanks very much for your time,
      Hannah
    • Barrow, Sheryl
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
        My hair is almost that length, and I've had some success with:

        Hairpins -> use long pins, like fabric pins, but more like 2 1/2 - 3" long

        Braid ends -> braid when wet, and run the braid to as near the end as you
        can. This will make it hold better, especially if you can put a band in it
        until it starts to dry.

        Roll or twist the braid against your scalp and use the pins to keep it in
        place, like hairsticks. Just don't poke yourself in the head!!

        Honestly, the best suggestion I can give you is to check out how the Amish
        women put their hair up. That's where I got the pin idea from - the girl I
        saw used it to keep her bonnet on.

        Good luck! Let me know how you end up doing it!

        Sheryl

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Hannah
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
          Thank you, Sheryl!
          Interestingly enough, I've been planning on getting some Amish
          hairpins for a while now- I have far too much hair for regular long
          pins now, they get bent out of shape, so I need some for everyday
          life, too. I usually do a ponytail, divided into two braids, twisted
          around and pinned and hairsticked, so when wet it should hold fairly
          well.
          Thank you again, and if I don't find anything infinitely better, I
          will probably go with the Amish pins. When I have my persona all
          together I'll try to post a picture to show you. *G*
          Hannah

          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Barrow, Sheryl"

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
            >>. Does anyone know of a place
            online that I could find good, sturdy metal, bone or horn pins without
            rubber or plastic nubs?

            Judy may have some sutter lists or know what to do with her hair. Me... I
            used to stuff it all up in a snood or hood of varying kinds and where the
            hood had openwork... there was a fake braided jumbo braid to fill it out.
            (OK, so I was wearing my hair like the girl from Ghost at that time - back
            buzz cut)

            >>I also need a way to tie off the ends of my heavy braids without using
            elastics. Ribbons are of course an option, but they invariably fall
            off. I'd appreciate any ideas.

            Ah.... I know that one... ribbons... BUT you start braiding with the ribbon
            way up in your hair. When you get to tie off point... you just circle the
            ribbon around and tie off. My friend used to do that. Just don't as me how
            exactly. <G>

          • Hannah
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2006
              Thanks, Cat...I don't think I'll have any 'stuffing' to do, since I
              have so much of my own hair, but a snood isn't a bad idea, if only
              for containment. I think I could do that ribbon braiding idea easily
              enough, so thanks for the advice! Hopefully Judy will see this at
              some point.
              Hannah

              --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2006
                >> but a snood isn't a bad idea, if only
                for containment.

                Remember, I'm using that term loosely. You'll need to check a tad a see
                what they used for different era if you're trying for accuracy. If not
                generic ones are sold at lots of costume places..

                >>I think I could do that ribbon braiding idea easily
                enough,

                It always looked easy enough... but that's only for someone who's capable of
                braiding their own hair... me...never been able to... too many thumbs.

                >>so thanks for the advice! Hopefully Judy will see this at
                some point.

                She and lots of others are having a blast at DragonCon right now.

              • Hannah
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Right about snoods...I know a bit about them through long hair groups
                  and will research more if necessary.
                  I think that I will tie my hair off with brown thread using the ribbon
                  method- I've read of people using thread, and if it's strong enough,
                  it should work.
                  Thanks again,
                  Hannah
                • Barrow, Sheryl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Hannah - yeah, that's a style I use a lot too, now that I have some
                    hairsticks. :) I love it! My coworkers say it looks like a wedding
                    hairstyle!

                    Cat - what is a snood?
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Hannah wrote:
                      > Thanks, Cat...I don't think I'll have any 'stuffing' to do, since I
                      > have so much of my own hair, but a snood isn't a bad idea, if only
                      > for containment. I think I could do that ribbon braiding idea easily
                      > enough, so thanks for the advice! Hopefully Judy will see this at
                      > some point.
                      > Hannah
                      >
                      > --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      >>Judy may have some sutter lists or know what to do with her
                      >
                      > hair. Me... I

                      Ok, now that I'm back from DragonCon, here are a few sutlers (vendors)
                      that sell stuff. I don't have time to look through for hairpins, but
                      they sell supplies as well as ready-made, so you never know.

                      Silly Sisters <http://www.sillysisters.com/> they specialize in womens
                      hat and neckwearclothes and notions
                      Jas Townsend <http://www.jastown.com/> or <http://jas-townsend.com/>
                      Smoke and Fire <http://www.smoke-fire.com/>
                      Wooded Hamlet <http://www.woodedhamlet.com/> not their main thing, but
                      they often have a case with miscellaneous stuff

                      these are all the places I'd check first. if they don't have something,
                      ask them, they'll probably know where to find something.

                      -Judy
                    • Jeanine Swick
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
                        On page 142 of "The Tudor Tailor" there is a detailed photo description
                        of braiding ribbon into hair and wrapping the braids around your head.

                        Jeanine

                      • aquazoo@patriot.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
                          Check out the Yahoogroup, FandIWoman.

                          For 18thC, I just wrap my hair into a bun without braiding it first.
                          If you do braid it first, it won't "undo" once it's in a bun. So you
                          don't need to tie off the ends. If necessary, you can use an elastic
                          band at the end and slip it off just as you do the last wrap. Tuck
                          the end under the rest of the bun, but if you've been playing with
                          long hair you already know this!

                          18thC hairpins are a U shape without the squiggly sides you find in
                          modern hairpins. Vermont Country Store makes extra-long hairpins
                          (modern & squiggly), which are very helpful with long, thick hair.
                          The ends are laquered but not rubber. Don't bother with the plastic
                          (tortise color)hairpins — they break on me in a hurry.

                          It's great that you want to be as correct as possible, but plenty of
                          people use modern tricks under the cap and concentrate their efforts
                          on what's visible. Hairspray, barettes, combs — whatever it takes.
                          (Just be careful of scented products because they may attract bees.)
                          You may need to help girls with modern haircuts, and also remember it
                          was not the fashion to wear bangs or fringe.

                          Another trick with caps is to pin them on top with a straight pin
                          through the hair. Some caps can be very slippery, and wind can be a
                          factor, too. There is a French cap style that's very small and
                          covers the bun and not much else — very cute! The Fleur de Lyse
                          patterns have several cap styles including this one.

                          -Carol

                          >> I will be going to several French and Indian wars rendesvouz with my
                          >> 4H group this year, and it is required that we come as period correct
                          >> as possible. My costume is in progress and going fine, but I've got a
                          >> dilemma. My hair is fairly long, at 3 1/2 feet measured from the
                          >> scalp, and I need to be able to pin it up and stuff it under a cap.
                        • jehanni2
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
                            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Hannah" <nienorniniel6@...> wrote:
                            <<I think that I will tie my hair off with brown thread using the
                            ribbon method>>

                            Actually, Hannah, I tie my hair off with....hair. It's handy if you
                            don't happen to have any tools with you, and I imagine that someone,
                            somewhere, somewhen else probably discovered that you could do this,
                            too.

                            I braid my hair until I have a "tassel" of about 4 inches
                            left...depending on how thick your ends are (mine are thin and whispy
                            by that time), you might need a little more length. From the tassel I
                            separate a strand that is as long as possible (don't use the short
                            hairs) and about 1/8 inch thick. I wrap the thin strand around the rest
                            of the tassel once, and tuck it from the top to the bottom over the
                            first twist of the strand in between the tassel and the strand....this
                            makes a half-hitch knot. Pull it tight, so that the strand secures the
                            bottom of the braid.

                            Keeping the tension tight on the strand, I pick up two similar thin
                            strands from the body of the tassel, and braid a tight little "mouse-
                            tail" braid the rest of the way...until I run out of hair. This keeps
                            the strand from loosening up, and freeing the braid.

                            My final step grosses out my sister, but it's critical: lick the
                            mousetail.

                            The moisture keeps the mousetail from unraveling, and the slight
                            glueiness of the saliva tends to hold the mousetail together even when
                            it's dry. This tieless braid lasts for me most or all day, depending on
                            how active I am. If I tuck it under a french braid, it lasts longer
                            than if I let the tail swing free.

                            If you prefer to use thread to secure the mousetail, you can, if you
                            have some handy. Since it's so small diameter at this point, thread
                            will do just fine to anchor it.

                            Jonatha