RE: [F-Costume] Re: Narnia anyone?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2005
      >> So now, I really got my
      eyes on her Polar Battle Dress. O__O
      http://costumes.narniaweb.com/wwlook.asp#polar

      >>Not sure if I can make it as it has the Chainmail Dress. =__=

      Time to get a pipe cutter and start slicing the PVC... though I think
      someone sells the stuff now too.

      I know that Fatimah knows what I'm talking about... but for the others
      scratching their head about what plastic pipe has to do with chain maille...
      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/Maille/PVCMaille.htm . Weta made
      a lot of it for LOTR... and there's a good chance that a full dress for a
      lady would be plastic too.

      -Cat-

      _____

    • Silvara
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
        There are photos of the costumes from Comic-Con up at

        http://costumes.narniaweb.com/

        They might be of help, people have been ID them, they wern't labed at the
        show.

        Silvara

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
          Fatimah-
          Depending on how you want it to flow, this is a good time to look for
          the fake "chainmail" that is used in children's costuming and the like
          at fabric stores. 2 years ago they had this GREAT material that fooled
          the eye and moved pretty well. Last year it was not at nice and looked
          very plastic. I haven't seen this years batch.
          Kath
        • mellymel_hsv
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
            I'm definitely looking into doing what they're calling
            the "snow garments". I'm kicking myself for cutting
            my dredlocs too early though. I've got a friend who
            does industrial design who's helping me with tips on
            using plexiglass and a blow torch for the ice crown
            (to get that melty effect and to polish the edges, she
            said a dremel would take far too long).

            Distinctive fabrics just recently advertized some new
            faux mink they got in that I think would work
            wonderfully for the shawl. All that's left is to
            really study the gown and figure out what will give
            that textured and stiff effect (any ideas?). And then
            of course to buy a wig and dred it up ;]

            Love and Light,
            Mel

            --- darth_eagle <darth_eagle@...> wrote:

            > So you got any character to do in mind? -__^

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Sarah
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
              I wonder if you could make fake dreds from wool roving. This just
              popped into my head, "unencumbered by the thought process" as Click
              and Clack would say. Kinda felt it up a bit, maybe add some real hair
              or thread or something for texture? I know you can get roving at
              better yarn stores, the ones that cater to the hand-spinning crowd.

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
                Hmm, worth a shot to test out anyway! Didn't think of
                that. But then having to make a wig out of it and
                having never done anything close to that. . . I'll
                probably go the "destroy a wig" route. Beeswax is a
                dredie's friend ;] And it looks like her dreds are
                kind of loose (not like several year old dreds, still
                have lots of loose hairs sticking out). I had my
                dreds for 4 years, got to know them well. ;]
                Honestly, egg whites might work too. I've known
                people to do "dreds for a day" with egg whites, and
                they would stick together into the "frozen do" better
                that way. Not sure quite how to use them though,
                never done it.

                Yeah, definitely lots of testing to do before
                December. The hair and crown are probably going to
                give me the most grief.

                Love and Light,
                Mel

                --- Sarah <sarahstrong@...> wrote:

                > I wonder if you could make fake dreds from wool
                > roving.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • J_B_Brouwer
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I'm not sure how real you want to make it, but www.theringlord.com
                  does machine knitted welded maille sheets for a reasonable price, and
                  they will even do joins to make the sheets into a dress. They ship
                  internationally.

                  --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@y...> wrote:
                  > "i_am_gimli" <i_am_gimli@y...> wrote:
                  > > Well theres less than five months until december 9th so does anyone
                  > > know of a good source for Narnia costume research? I'm so excited!
                  >
                  > So you got any character to do in mind? -__^
                  >
                  > I may plan to pair up with some LOTR Costumers Friends from Malaysia
                  > to do Narnia Costuming too, and so far I got my eyes on the White
                  > Witch.
                  >
                  > Initially said want to do this version of her gown which turned out
                  > from the BBC(??) one. Then the White Outfit we first see her in the
                  > posters for the movie but someone else is doing that version (tho' I
                  > was told to take it with a pinch of salt). So now, I really got my
                  > eyes on her Polar Battle Dress. O__O
                  > http://costumes.narniaweb.com/wwlook.asp#polar
                  >
                  > Not sure if I can make it as it has the Chainmail Dress. =__=
                  >
                  > Fatimah
                • Catelli, Ann
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                    You probably could, though I'm no expert in dreads.

                    Felting the roving more & less could give you varying widths if desired.

                    If you want interesting colors, check out Lopi yarn at a yarn store, which is between roving & sliver in weight.
                    Not cheap, but this isn't going to cheap in any case, most likely.

                    Ok--speaking of popping into the head, try maybe finding wool sweaters at Op Shop or other cheap second-hand clothes place.
                    Abuse sweaters with hot water wash & soap & cold rinse; cut small, felted sweater into fake dreads.

                    There has been a recent few threads on Dreads in Den of Angels, a forum for 1/4 & 1/3 scale (mostly) dolls.
                    I'm not at a computer I can check for their direct addresses, sorry, but there's a search function on the forum.

                    Ann in CT

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Dr Locks: http://drlocks.net/cart/index.php/cPath/21_30_55_74

                      These guys have probably the best supply/pricing on the web for stuff like
                      this.

                      -Cat-

                      _____

                    • darth_eagle
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Puppetmaker <puppetmaker@g...> wrote:
                        > Depending on how you want it to flow, this is a good time to look
                        for
                        > the fake "chainmail" that is used in children's costuming and the
                        like
                        > at fabric stores.

                        The only downside to this is that I had never see this material at
                        the Spotlight here in Singapore. =__= We don't officially celebrate
                        Halloween so the market is not really big for it. TRU and costumes
                        shops does gear up for that day but as always, the stock is pretty
                        limited or of poor quality.

                        Will keep a lookout for it anyway just in case. -__^

                        "J_B_Brouwer" <j_b_brouwer@y...> wrote:
                        > I'm not sure how real you want to make it, but www.theringlord.com
                        > does machine knitted welded maille sheets for a reasonable price,
                        > and
                        > they will even do joins to make the sheets into a dress. They ship
                        > internationally.

                        Thanks for the lead! ^__^ Will check it out and see if it fits my
                        budget.

                        Fatimah
                      • darth_eagle
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                          mellymel_hsv <mellymel_hsv@y...> wrote:
                          > Distinctive fabrics just recently advertized some new
                          > faux mink they got in that I think would work
                          > wonderfully for the shawl.

                          For the Polar Battle Dress, I'll probably opt for this fake fur
                          called "Fox Fur" at the Spotlight here. It has a nice long coat and
                          tho' it cost SGD50/m, think I only need a little to make the shawl,
                          like less than 1/2m.

                          Currently, I'm mostly going towards the Toy as still squiting my eyes
                          to figure out how the dress is like from the screencaps.

                          Fatimah
                        • mellymel_hsv
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                            yep, really not much out there on it yet, especially
                            the battle dress. Will be a challenge for sure!

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs