RE: [F-Costume] FireFly/Zoe Costume

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
      >>Hello, this is my first time posting here. Looked as best I could,
      and couldn't find this topic, so here goes.
      >>I want to make a Zoe, from Serenity/Firefly costume. Does any one have
      suggestions of patterns for her vest and a her brown coat.
      >>Of course links to some good source pictures are welcome as well.

      Welcome to the zoo. We've got links to more costume resources over on our
      web: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/movie/Costume_Links.htm

      I think Zoe has more than one costume. If you don't find the info you need
      on those links... please come back here with some picture links of which
      costume you're asking question about and we'll see what our collective mind
      can did up.

    • Naresha
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        > I think Zoe has more than one costume. If you
        > don't find the info you need on those links...
        > please come back here with some picture links >
        of which costume you're asking question about >
        and we'll see what our collective mind
        > can did up.

        If it's from the Firefly TV series, then she
        essentially only has one costume, but as I
        haven't gotten around to seeing the film I'm not
        sure about how many she has there.

        I'm assuming that you're talking about her normal
        vest and pants combo:

        There's one good one on IMDB that shows some of
        the top.

        http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0303461/Ss/0303461/5869100_2_32.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0303461

        Some shots of her necklace:
        http://www.serenityverse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

        A three-quarter shot:
        http://www.whedonsworld.com/files/pix/firefly/zoe/zoe04.jpg

        Side on:
        http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/images/Zoe23.jpg

        Almost full length with Kaylee & Simon:
        http://www.josswhedon.it/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=3&pos=-383

        Side on with Mal: (click for larger image)
        http://www.josswhedon.it/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=3

        WITHOUT vest: (click for larger image)
        http://www.josswhedon.it/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=2

        Hope this helps!

        Naresha

        ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

        AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
        Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
        Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

        My Website! Slash Me Happy
        http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

        http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006

          >>If it's from the Firefly TV series, then she
          essentially only has one costume,

          Ah, just for information... she has a slightly different look she uses for
          the movie vs. the TV series. On those links... more than one outfit is
          there. (Shirt leave vest combo vs. higher leather shirt w/ sleeves things)
          And I know she has something that got a pseudo V1ictorian leather corset
          that laces in back.

          On mostly costumes for characters, the designer keeps them close to one
          color set. Zoe is a perfect example "browns and leathers", tight lines,
          but there are some differences. That's the fun of studying the photos,
          discovering the differences.

          So, we're still back to the original of picking an outfit... and then we can
          talk about specific patterns.

          A note on Firefly costumes, a lot of pieces are shopped. Military surplus,
          Easter Europe. Also... lots of bits from the garment district in LA where
          the fabric was bought.

          -Cat-
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            > Ah, just for information... she has a slightly
            > different look she uses for the movie vs. the >
            TV series.

            Thanks Cat, I haven't see the movie yet - it
            didn't last very long in the cinema here and I
            work weekends.. So I still ahven't gotten around
            ot watching it LOL!

            > On those links... more than one outfit is
            > there. (Shirt leave vest combo vs. higher
            > leather shirt w/ sleeves things)

            I know that there's at least two shirts in there
            - one collared, 3 quarter/long sleeved olive
            green "t-shirt" and a button down red shirt. But
            it's ESSENTIALLY the same thing! :P Brown
            vest... neutral/autumn tones for the rest... Gun
            holster!

            > And I know she has something that got a pseudo
            > V1ictorian leather corset that laces in back.

            I assume that muist be in the movie, because in
            the series, it's all side joined, almost like a
            sleeveless top.

            > On mostly costumes for characters, the designer
            > keeps them close to one color set. Zoe is a
            > perfect example "browns and leathers", tight
            > lines, but there are some differences.

            Oh god yes... Zoe is VERY simple! Almost as
            simple as Mal! :P It's unfortunate that there
            were so few episodes - it would have been nice to
            see her extend her wardrobe slightly... Maybe
            even into... GASP - A SKIRT! :P

            > That's the fun of studying the photos,
            > discovering the differences.

            Yeah, it's great fun! :) I did find a site that
            does custom made and has a version of Zoe's vest
            with some nice close ups and some ideas for
            anyone else looking to recreate it.

            > So, we're still back to the original of picking
            > an outfit... and then we can talk about
            > specific patterns.

            Yes... But we've got SOME idea! :) Not much more
            than we did to begin with, but an idea...

            Resha.

            ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

            AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
            Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
            Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

            My Website! Slash Me Happy
            http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

            http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

          • ari_n_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              I found a site with all kinds of screen captures from the
              series..there should be a few nice ones of Zoe that could help out
              with some of the details.

              http://www.whedonsworld.com/fireflys1caps.html

              Have fun! I was hunting for pictures of Kaylee's Shindig party
              dress. Yes, I'm insane. ;)

              Ari, the perpetual lurker
            • Puppetmaker
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                Ari-
                There has to be a group for that dress. Last year at DragonCon I went
                to the Browncoats party with Jewel Staite and she was amazed at the
                number of hoopskirts she saw there. Someone took a picture of her and
                about 20 people in that dress.
                kath the puppeteer

                On 8/2/06, ari_n_han <ari_n_han@...> wrote:

                > I found a site with all kinds of screen captures from the
                > series..there should be a few nice ones of Zoe that could help out
                > with some of the details.
                >
                > http://www.whedonsworld.com/fireflys1caps.html
                >
                > Have fun! I was hunting for pictures of Kaylee's Shindig party
                > dress. Yes, I'm insane. ;)
                >
                > Ari, the perpetual lurker
              • Josie
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                  You could also try http://still-flying.net/images/ they have TONS of screencaps from all the episodes as well as other pics. hope this helps!
                  ~Josie~

                • Silvara
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Here is a great source of pictures too.

                    Silvara

                    http://gallery.angel-btvs.co.uk/index.php
                    There has to be a group for that dress. Last year at DragonCon I went
                    to the Browncoats party with Jewel Staite and she was amazed at the
                    number of hoopskirts she saw there. Someone took a picture of her and
                    about 20 people in that dress.
                    kath the puppeteer

                    On 8/2/06, ari_n_han <ari_n_han@...> wrote:

                    > I found a site with all kinds of screen captures from the
                    > series..there should be a few nice ones of Zoe that could help out
                    > with some of the details.
                    >
                    > http://www.whedonsworld.com/fireflys1caps.html
                    >
                    > Have fun! I was hunting for pictures of Kaylee's Shindig party
                    > dress. Yes, I'm insane. ;)
                    >
                    > Ari, the perpetual lurker

                  • Avien
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Hello,

                      I'm not sure which costume you're talking about. Joss made things a little
                      confusing by naming the pilot of Firefly the same as the movie. I've
                      several great costumes from Firefly - the leather vest/red shirt combo - but
                      I don't think I've seen any from the movie. I love her leather vest from
                      the movie and would love to see someone do that. Anyway, let us know and we
                      can come up with more specific suggestions. Is this for the Browncoat Ball
                      by any chance? http://www.browncoatball.com I'm hoping to see lots and
                      lots of costumes there.

                      Avien