Re: dressform question

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2006
      >>I made the plaster version - twice. The first time we didn't make
      the layers of bandages nearly thick enough, so it wasn't sturdy enough
      when it was cut off me.

      Yeah, I made sure my hubby did at least 2 layers, and we started from
      the shoulder and wrapped down as well -- we did the tight stuff around
      the arms last though, since I kept wiggling! We used a hair dryer to
      stiffen all the bits before cutting out of it too, which seemed to help.

      >>I eventually decided to leave the plaster on, it didn't change the
      size that much (I'm making costumes, not nuclear warheads), and was
      just too much work to get off the foam. >>

      I slathered the entire inner shell of plaster with a thick layer of
      vasoline, and it was only hard to remove the shell from the
      insulation-foam where the vasoline was too thin. If I did it again,
      I'd go totally crazy with the vasoline just to make sure it was
      very-very-well coated. ;) My plaster shell was too well fortified on
      the outside with extra plaster and twine to look like me anymore, so I
      had to pry it off.

      >> The biggest challenge
      was joining the two halves of the plaster form - duct tape won't stick
      to plaster bandages, at least not enough to hold it together. I
      actually stitched it with leather twine, a very heavy needle, and an
      awl.>>

      Oh, that would have worked for me too, I'm feeling silly for not
      thinking of that myself! I had issues trying to match up the halves,
      since they dry a little out-of-shape but we ended up stuffing the
      shell full of newspaper to make sure there was less "flopping" inward
      at the seams while I sealed them shut with strips of muslin heavily
      dipped in plaster of paris (a lot stronger and stickier than the
      surgical bandages, and I had both plaster and muslin already). Since
      it's not on skin any more, the plaster getting hot wasn't an issue. :)
      I also tied twine around the form in 5-6 places (several in the hip
      area since it seemed to be the most prone to flopping open. I used
      the extra plaster of paris to solidify some of the more saggy areas,
      especially under the arms and around the belly where the plaster kept
      moving as I breathed. (The surgical bandages didn't set up as hard in
      those spots for that reason).

      The seams don't naturally match up well, but you can fill in areas of
      the seams that "sunk" inward with spackle, or plaster once the halves
      are solidly bound together. If you're keeping the whole plaster form,
      you want the outside to be as realistic as possible, and not blugy or
      sunken in in weird spots! :) This poor matching of the outer shell
      will affect the shape of your foam, but you can easily cut and fill
      afterwards to make it perfect again. :)

      I was able to get the plaster off the form with some effort (my arms
      were tired at the end though!), and as Judy mentioned, you do have to
      cut a few "mushrooms" off the form, and the more rigid your foam is,
      the easier this will be. I had a few big voids in the foam, which I
      stuffed with newsprint and spackled over to fill.
    • Drake
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hello everyone, I've been lurking on here for a few
        months now and thought it was time to introduce
        myself.

        I'm Drake, I'm 27 and a student at Kent State
        University. I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and
        Rennaisance faires. I'm also an amateur Fire artist
        (eating, spinning, breathing, etc) looking toward
        going professional. So obviously I'll need
        performance costumes.

        So far, I've really only done one costume from
        scratch, which was a Peacekeeper Jacket from the
        Farscape Series. It didn't fit quite right, but it was
        pretty good for a first attempt.

        I do have some other experience in fiber arts, with
        dyeing and things like that, thatnks to a class I took
        as part of my crafts minor at kent.

        I have a crafts section on my website so that you can
        see some of the things that I'm currently working on ,
        at http://www.personal.kent.edu/~mbcollin

        At the moment I'm making my Duct-tape-dummy for
        costuming purposes. After that I'll be working on my
        fire-eating doublet first. I've got some reference
        photos on the doublet page, but that's about all so
        far...

        test'; ">

        http://mail.yahoo.com