making a mask

  • i_am_gimli
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
      hi everyone!!
      okay i have been lurking for a while and i really love our group!
      recently we've been talking about v for vendetta masks or rather guy
      fawkes, but thats not quite what i want to do. i want to make a mask
      of my face, kind of phantom of the opera stylee -ish but the whole
      face. does anyone have any ideas? i want it to look like plaster, but
      i don't know anything about making masks. any help? thanks a bunch

      maliana
    • Puppetmaker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
        Maliana-

        Here is how I make masks the short version. Please ask if you have any
        questions.
        My current life mask is horribly out of date so I don't use it any
        more. There are numerous sites that have information on how to make
        them if you want to but I have been using as my base form those
        plastic masks that you can get at just about any crafts store. I call
        them neutral masks but that's my theatre background showing.

        I do a non-drying clay sculpt of what I want the mask to look like on
        the plastic mask that I have taped to a piece of cardboard to give me
        something solid to sculpt on. I put masking tape on the cardboard
        before attaching the plastic mask because it makes it easier to do
        various things.
        So I finish the sculpt and then I mix up a batch of paper mache paste.
        I can't tell you my exact recipe again there are plenty on the web.
        Mine is just water and flour until it hits a consistency of white
        school glue. I tear up brown paper grocery sacks or brown shipping
        paper. Tearing is the key. It gives you the rough edge. That is how I
        blend the pieces together. I paper mache the sculpt and let it dry.
        I peel the mask from the sculpt.

        Then I go one of two ways depending on what the final mask need to
        look like. I either felt it or paint it. Felting is a pain but done
        right it makes the mask look really good. The big thing to remember
        with either process is that you are getting your mask wet again so
        give yourself the time to let it dry between sessions or the mask can
        warp.

        There are a number of other ways to make masks but I have found this
        very versatile for my costuming needs.

        Good Luck-
        Kath the Puppeteer
      • Lady Kareena Sartek
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
          Some useful links on this:
          http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/evilash/main.html (main website--
          has some good tutorials:
          http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html )
          http://www.danperezstudios.com/workshop.htm

          Hope they help you. :) I know Jeff of Studio Creations and he's very,
          very talented in costuming and prop making.
          Pam

          > okay i have been lurking for a while and i really love our group!
          > recently we've been talking about v for vendetta masks or rather guy
          > fawkes, but thats not quite what i want to do. i want to make a mask
          > of my face, kind of phantom of the opera stylee -ish but the whole
          > face. does anyone have any ideas? i want it to look like plaster,
          but
          > i don't know anything about making masks. any help? thanks a bunch
          >
          > maliana

        • i_am_gimli
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Puppetmaker <puppetmaker@...> wrote:

            > Maliana-
            >
            > Here is how I make masks the short version. Please ask if you have
            any
            > questions.

            thanks to both of you if i have any questions ill ask.

            maliana