Indian Sari/Saree

  • Dianna Filan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
      hey all,

      i was just asked by a friend here at school if i would be able to make her an Indian Sari (or Saree ... i'm seeing two spellings and not quite sure which is the really correct one...). She's doing a project for one of her classes - something about the World's Fair, and her country is India. It would also have to be done by next Tuesday (3/28) cause that's when her project is. Unfortunately, this really makes ordering one online not really an option, because of shipping time (unless someone knows where I'd be able to order one tomorrow and have it before the 28th).

      the other option is to make one.

      i would go out to the fabric stores now, but it's a little late (although, if we're still going to go to WalMart, i'll have to look there for something). I've gathered that a sari/ee is basically about 6yds of 45" fabric .... with some decoration. This is where i've sort of become stuck, because from the designs that i've seen, the edge designs are woven in. so .... is there a way that you'd be able to make one without buying a pre-made one or putting lots of time (like more than 20 hours of work) into making one?

      so it turns out we are going to walmart, so i'm going to look and see if they have anything there. any other tips or good websites that anyone can come up wth would be so very helpful!!!!! thanks!!!!

      dianna

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
        >> the other option is to make one.

        There's two parts to consider... one is the fabric, the other is design.
        Google up how to wear a sari. It's that wrap that counts. You could just
        use a plain material even.

        You need a t-shirt, plain bright fabric that goes with the fabric, shorten
        it so that it's now a crop top Under the sari wrap, blousy trousers tied in
        at the ankles or a long "petticoat".

        On the fabric... you want something soft and silky. There are a lot of
        pollys that will work. If you can, find a border print, or bordered two
        sides. Paisley or flowers, big. You could sew plain gold ribbon on the
        bottom edge and around the top piece that hangs loose.

        http://www.shijucreation.com/wearingasari.htm

        http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/southasiacenter/saree/Sari.htm

        http://www.exoticindiaart.com/howtowear/1/

        http://www.dreamscape.com/saree/kerala/hwsaree.html

        And there are plenty more out there.... Google is your friend.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
          >> It would also have to be done by next Tuesday (3/28) cause that's when
          her project is.

          You didn't say what city you were from. A lot of cities have a Little
          India. Sometimes you can pick up a discount sari for $15 bucks. We
          went crazy at one costume con... just loved it. The fabric was cheesy, but
          pretty... and almost everyone came home with a couple.

          For a class project, you could also pick up something that just has a bit of
          damage.

          Also, it's a good place to pick up inexpressive bangles and necklaces.

          They're often closed Sundays and Mondays.

          _____

        • Dianna Filan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
            thanks for all the info and links! the links that you sent explained how to wear one a lot better than some of the other directions that i found. I'm at school right now, which is in Central PA, sort of close to Harrisburg (about 30 minutes). I googled for some stores (yes google is wonderful) and came up with at least one store which should be helpful. I'll call either tomorrow or tuesday.

            and if worse comes to worst, i'm going home this weekend (northern NJ) so i might be able to make it into NYC and i'm sure I'll find something there. Love NYC, and any excuse is one to go home.

            thanks so much for the links and the info again :)

            dianna

            Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:
            >> It would also have to be done by next Tuesday (3/28) cause that's when
            her project is.

            You didn't say what city you were from. A lot of cities have a Little
            India. Sometimes you can pick up a discount sari for $15 bucks. We
            went crazy at one costume con... just loved it. The fabric was cheesy, but
            pretty... and almost everyone came home with a couple.

            For a class project, you could also pick up something that just has a bit of
            damage.

            Also, it's a good place to pick up inexpressive bangles and necklaces.

            They're often closed Sundays and Mondays.

            _____

            Cat scratches Movie costume Fantasy costume Elizabethan costuming

          • Kimberly
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2006
              If you've got a Joann's fabric store nearby, they've been carrying
              lots of realy pretty basic sari fabrics lately. I think some of them
              have even been on sale recently though I'm not sure when it started or
              ends.

              Keep in mind too that a lot of saris have the edges embroidred with
              really heavy sequin or gold/silver work. Not all the designs have to
              be woven in to look right authentic. :) You can add a trim band to
              any soft fabric if you find something cheap and easy you like!

              Good luck and it sounds like fun!
            • Andrea Schewe
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
                JoAnn fabrics is featuring a lot of Indian fabric. Some of it has the woven border.
                If you had a JoAnn's near that would be a instant solution!
                The sari is kept in place by tucking it into a skirt with a tight waistband. There are several sites that explain exactly how to wrap it. Just google "how to wrap a sari"
                Good luck , Andrea
[...]

                Elizabethan costuming

              • nanniemouse
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
                  Two weeks ago, JoAnnes had Sari fabric on sale. It was Ombre clors
                  with gold matalic print along the edges. It was %100 polyester, but
                  it was beuatiful. You might find some left.

                  Kathleen
                • E
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
                    Cat,

                    I'm sure you're not looking to spend a mint, hence the shopping at Walmart
                    (I hear ya). But to make one, you're looking at lots of embroidery or edge
                    painting. MUCH easier to just buy the fabric. You just need to look for
                    fabric stores that carry the sari type fabric. I know I've seen it at the
                    JoAnn's in Santa Monica on Lincoln, just N of the 10. Though that won't be
                    too cheap. If you head downtown to the fabric and garment district you'll
                    be able to find tons there too.

                    Also to try are areas where you know there's a large Indian population. I
                    know of a Hare Krishna (sp?) community on Venice and Cardiff in Culver City
                    and there is at least one store there that sells indian garb, music etc.

                    Just some thoughts to help you out. Hope you find it!

                    -Muppetgirl

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
                      >>Cat, I'm sure you're not looking to spend a mint, hence the shopping at
                      Walmart (I hear ya). But to make one, you're looking at lots of embroidery
                      or edge painting. MUCH easier to just buy the fabric. You just need to look
                      for fabric stores that carry the sari type fabric. I know I've seen it at
                      the JoAnn's in Santa Monica on Lincoln, just N of the 10.

                      Actually, I was answering, not asking... 'cause the answer in LA would be to
                      go down to our Little India in Cerritos (north Orange County - 405 & 91) and
                      pick up a real sari there. Yardage from the fabric stores will only have
                      the pattern on the edge and not have the highly decorated edge piece. Given
                      the prices at Joann's it would be worth it to drive down there.

                      >> If you head downtown to the fabric and garment district you'll
                      be able to find tons there too.

                      You could find silkies, and I've found one store that carries some eastern
                      patterned polly, but I haven't seen anywhere down there that actually
                      carries saris.