Question

  • sdfsdalfk
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 19, 2006
      Does anyone know where I can find metallic gold body paint in spray on
      form? Thanks
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 19, 2006
        >>Does anyone know where I can find metallic gold body paint in spray on
        form?

        Since no one has replied yet... when in doubt, always drop
        http://www.cinemasecrets.com/ a line. It won't be on their web, but they'll
        have the info.

        -Cat-

        _____

      • la_atran
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
          Does anyone know what country,ethnicity,tribe,etc. that inspired the
          costume in background photos of this picture (from the new film
          "Dreamgirls")? Thanks for any help you can offer...
          http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/images/077.jpg
        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
            Looks like generic high-fashion to me.

            On 11/1/06, la_atran <la_atran@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know what country,ethnicity,tribe,etc. that inspired the
            > costume in background photos of this picture (from the new film
            > "Dreamgirls")? Thanks for any help you can offer...
            >
            > http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/images/077.jpg
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Karyl Miller
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
              Okay,why is it when I click on the link, all I get is Lycos in German?

              Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...> wrote: Looks like generic high-fashion to me.

              On 11/1/06, la_atran <la_atran@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know what country,ethnicity,tribe,etc. that inspired the
              > costume in background photos of this picture (from the new film
              > "Dreamgirls")? Thanks for any help you can offer...
              >
              > http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/images/077.jpg
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Karyl Miller

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
                >>Okay,why is it when I click on the link, all I get is Lycos in German?

                Hummm. Maybe a German designer... or just a bad link?

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Cat Devereaux wrote:
                  >>>Okay,why is it when I click on the link, all I get is Lycos in German?
                  >

                  > Hummm. Maybe a German designer... or just a bad link?

                  I just tried the link and it went through to the jpg just fine for me.

                  <http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/images/077.jpg>

                  -Judy
                • la_atran
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                    It works if you copy and paste the link, but it doesn't when you click
                    on it...anyone else have any other ideas about the costume? Thank you.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                      >>anyone else have any other ideas about the costume?

                      Looks just like a high fashion model's clothing. Nothing ethnic.

                    • Naresha
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                        > It works if you copy and paste the link, but it
                        > doesn't when you click on it...anyone else
                        > have any other ideas about the costume?

                        Worked for me when I clicked them! I did have to
                        refresh the page, but it worked for me!

                        It didn't look to me to be anything tribal at all
                        - just high fashion as was said before! :)

                        resha

                        ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

                        AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
                        Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
                        Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

                        My Website! Slash Me Happy
                        http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

                        http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

                      • Perseus85@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                          To me, it looks like a fashion designer took modern fabrics and altered the design of a greek woman's chiton (the white dress) and himation (the brown draped piece over the dress). I don't think anything tribal has inspired it, save for MAYBE the hair and thats a big maybe which might be quasi ethnic at best. But that's my two cents.

                          > It works if you copy and paste the link, but it
                          > doesn't when you click on it...anyone else
                          > have any other ideas about the costume?

                          Worked for me when I clicked them! I did have to
                          refresh the page, but it worked for me!

                          It didn't look to me to be anything tribal at all
                          - just high fashion as was said before! :)

                          resha

                          ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

                          AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
                          Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
                          Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

                          My Website! Slash Me Happy
                          http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

                          http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

                        • Mentor, Nelly A
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                            I've seen similar designs by the now retired Japanese designer, Hanae
                            Mori. She incorporated elements of the kimono and made it high fashion.
                            However, given the model's hairstyle, I'm also reminded of various
                            African styles of garb. I remember coming across a reference to a north
                            African country where the women wear a similar style to the Greek
                            chiton. Unfortunately, Google is not cooperating at the moment. Also
                            the one-shoulder drape garment reminds me of Masai clothing as well.
                            They often wear a large square of fabric tied over one shoulder. Hope
                            that's useful.
                            Nelly

                          • Karyl Miller
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                              Guess what? It just happened again! It's a bad link! Bad, bad link!

                              Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote: Cat Devereaux wrote:
                              >>>Okay,why is it when I click on the link, all I get is Lycos in German?
                              >

                              > Hummm. Maybe a German designer... or just a bad link?

                              I just tried the link and it went through to the jpg just fine for me.

                              <http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/images/077.jpg>

                              -Judy

                              Karyl Miller

                            • Mia
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                It's been happening to me as well, but when I have seen it in the
                                message on the board, a \ appears at the end of the link which makes
                                it unusable. Copy/paste and delete the \.

                                mia

                                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Karyl Miller <gone2thebad@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Guess what? It just happened again! It's a bad link! Bad, bad
                                link!

                                German?

                                > > Hummm. Maybe a German designer... or just a bad link?
                                > >

                                > I just tried the link and it went through to the jpg just fine for
                                me.

                                <http://beyonceworld.net/gallery/captures/2006/DreamgirlsMakingOf/imag
                                es/077.jpg>

                                > -Judy
                                >

                                > Karyl Miller
                              • bmildwinters
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                  first off Iam new to your group but from what I have read you all do
                                  beautiful work.
                                  My question is regarding making armour out of cardboard I have tried
                                  to coat it with resin. I was wondering if anyone has an easier way to
                                  make it or to give me suggestions on where to go to find out? I have
                                  made other childrens costumes and I sent them to a web page where
                                  there now posted.. if anyone cares to look let me know but please give
                                  me some suggestions.
                                  thank you Bob NJ
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                    bmildwinters wrote:
                                    > first off Iam new to your group

                                    welcome to the group! there are lots of great people here with all
                                    sorts of background. It's a fun place.

                                    > My question is regarding making armour out of cardboard I have tried
                                    > to coat it with resin. I was wondering if anyone has an easier way to
                                    > make it or to give me suggestions on where to go to find out? I have
                                    > made other childrens costumes and I sent them to a web page where
                                    > there now posted.. if anyone cares to look let me know but please give
                                    > me some suggestions.
                                    > thank you Bob NJ

                                    Have you been to
                                    <http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm> ? Have you
                                    tried coating the cardboard with paper mache? or duct tape and then a
                                    sealant? Simply using thinned down Sobo glue or even mod-podge has done
                                    amazing things with fun foam.

                                    For that matter, you might try playing with fun/craft foam for armor,
                                    people have been doing amazing things with it.

                                    -Judy

                                    PS - you didn't give the url for your childrens' costumes.
                                  • sdfsdalfk
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 14, 2008
                                      I've been trying to figure out what kind of material this skirt is and
                                      I was wondering if anyone could help me. In the new "Little Mermaid"
                                      broadway show, Ursula's tentacles are fastened onto a something like a
                                      half circle/crinoline skirt that surrounds her (seen here
                                      http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/galleries/img20080111thmb
                                      _mermaidnewjpg/img20080111thmb_mermaidnewjpg.html?c=12). In the show,
                                      she can also hold a tentacle in each hand and then pull up the entire
                                      skirt and fan it out around her as seen in these
                                      pictures...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/shizzoizzo7/lm3.jpg
                                      http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-
                                      dyn/content/photo/2008/01/10/PH2008011003887.jpg
                                      Anyone have any ideas as to what material the skirt might be made out
                                      of? It must be something somewhat stiff in order for it to fan out so
                                      well.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 14, 2008
                                        Reminder to everyone - Please make the subject title something folks
                                        can check out easily in the future. We really do have hordes of
                                        "please help" or "question".

                                        >>I've been trying to figure out what kind of material this skirt is

                                        OK... first off... the question is a bit to simple. There's a lot more
                                        than a layer or two of fabric So, just like we deconstruct layers on
                                        costumes when we're talking about shirt/vest/jacket/trousers.... lets do
                                        that here.

                                        What we're seeing as outer fabric... at first my joke answer was going
                                        to be expensive. (I know of one store in LA that might have something
                                        like it.) Then I looked for seams and looked at both pictures.... the
                                        answer is custom & combos.

                                        <http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/galleries/img20080111thmb_mermaidnewjpg/img20080111thmb_mermaidnewjpg.html?c=12>

                                        Note the curved surfaces that the fabric is covering. Ignore the
                                        colors.. look at the black. Enlarge the pic if possible. The front of
                                        the dress has an outer layer, a thick net like layer. I can't tell
                                        about the top back... but it edges the bodice and goes to the floor in
                                        front. In back, it's tied under the tentacle mechanism. The pattern is
                                        fairly regular, but it look like some of the holes have been clipped to
                                        double their size. (Yes, went cross eyed trying to see the fabric.

                                        The blue green fabric is iridescent, kinda a fish scale. Starts with
                                        blue. (look at the back). Weirdly can't tell if there are two patterns
                                        or not... fish blob and plaid. Look at her tentacles and the insert by
                                        the back of her legs where fabric has been inserted so she can walk. Is
                                        that plaid? The tentacles also look plaid. These iridescent fabrics
                                        are normally almost a plastic fused on a thin black knit back. What I
                                        can't tell is the dress turning green when lights hit it in front, or is
                                        the front dabbled with some high tech iridescent paint. nasty to sew
                                        in, regardless. Sharp needles, change often, use needle de-gunker.

                                        More of a pattern comment... it looks like the front may be ruched under
                                        the black... look at how the pattern of green gets rather solid and
                                        develops lines... all the way from low stomach to floor. (This could
                                        just be an artifact of light and size of photo... but I'd like to see more.

                                        Mimicking this fabric... at least the big cities have a variation of
                                        this stuff, in kinda a broken pattern that would be lightly iridescent.
                                        It has the breaks in black built in. If you didn't want to get to
                                        crazy, I'd look for that.... Problem w/ painting the fabric... anything
                                        is going to peal like crazy. I don't even know of postindustrial
                                        options, unless you try fusing one on top of the other. (But Disney has
                                        a budget. <G>)

                                        >>Ursula's tentacles are fastened onto a something like a half
                                        circle/crinoline skirt that surrounds her

                                        (Inserting bad joke here, slapping myself... but can't stop myself) I
                                        don't think her bubble butt (ducking) is something as simple a just
                                        crinoline while. I'm guessing she doesn't get to sit. That is
                                        probably a big shaped pad and plywood construct that straps around her
                                        waist and hips. Foam and/or quilting pads out the angles.

                                        While talking about padding and structure.... the bodice is boned/built
                                        in corset... note the clean lines, no wrinkle. When taken off, this
                                        dress probably stands by itself from mid tight up... even though the
                                        tentacle mechanism looks removable.

                                        The dress is sure to have some interlining... none of the inside looks
                                        like it needs to stretch, but who knows whether it's something like a
                                        spongable cotton. And there's probably some kind of a washable layer
                                        under it... union rules... next to the skin washes daily, next layer
                                        cleaned once a week(?). Making a costume, you don't have to plan for
                                        all of this... but I'd really suggest something like 100% cotton knit.t
                                        shirt cut down and snapped inside the dress... or at least a band and
                                        dress shield. That knit/metallic fabric is hotter than heck, doesn't
                                        allow you to sweat, stinks all by itself... but with you in it...
                                        ripening really fast. Don't make short cuts, plan for it. (Can you
                                        tell I earned da "t-shirt" of experience on this fabric... and not in a
                                        good way? Threw out the costume.)

                                        <http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/01/10/PH2008011003887.jpg>
                                        Note that here, she may even have a cotton leotard on and it's not
                                        actually attached to the dress, though it may snap in place.

                                        >>In the show,
                                        she can also hold a tentacle in each hand and then pull up the entire
                                        skirt and fan it out around her

                                        I see tentacles fanning, not the skirt. Are those other tentacles
                                        hidden the the skirt??? I only see two on the side picture of her.
                                        Those tentacles look wired... so I'm sure there's something in the
                                        mechanism when she moves one they both move.

                                        If you're saying the tentacles come from the skirt... does she have 3
                                        seconds where she goes behind something and picks up more skirt and
                                        tentacles???

                                        Anyway, just MHO on first take at the pictures. But I'd want to see
                                        movement and more lighting to even be more comfortable extending guesses

                                        -Cat-
                                      • Puppetmaker
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 14, 2008
                                          Saw the show yesterday afternoon. I have the program book as well
                                          that has some great shots of the costume.
                                          Once I am a little less sleep deprived, I will attempt to break down
                                          what I know.

                                          One thing I do know is that it was at least 4 different costumes that
                                          did different things during the show rather than just one costume that
                                          did tons of neat stuff.

                                          Kath the Puppeteer
                                        • Puppetmaker
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 14, 2008
                                            > Anyone have any ideas as to what material the skirt might be made out
                                            > of? It must be something somewhat stiff in order for it to fan out so
                                            > well.

                                            Additional Cast members positioned behind the skirt made it flare at
                                            the end of Act 1. She didn't move after that and I saw two shapes
                                            behind her.
                                          • Sarah
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 14, 2008
                                              It looks like the tentacles are made like those party decorations that
                                              collapse down small for storage, and stretch out long for use in a
                                              sort of accordion manner. There must be something either inside or
                                              outside that pulls them out into the display position.
                                            • Prane Evans
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 5, 2010
                                                Hi,     Are we allowed to talk about something we want to sell on this site?  I have an old (1890) book on what to wear to fancy dress balls that I have to sell.  Don't want to - just have to. Sigh.      F. Evans

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 5, 2010
                                                  >> Are we allowed to talk about something we want to sell on this site?

                                                  Standard policy:

                                                  F-costume & LOTR Costume are no-buy/no-sell lists...

                                                  1) It's fine to talk about buying raw materials from shops etc.

                                                  2) It's fine to talk about where to pick up small accessories or props
                                                  (ie if it's smaller than a bread box type thing)

                                                  3) It's fine to talk about buying / reviews of Authorized full costumes
                                                  (but not knock-offs sine the goal of the list is to learn to make da stuff.)

                                                  4) Company signatures, if you're a vendor... but just please make sure
                                                  they're a sig line, not a full blown add.

                                                  5) AND we allow active list members to do one post a year of their
                                                  e-bay sale or garage sale type announcement. Just list it to one of
                                                  the groups, not both.

                                                  Yes, it can be a whole list, not just one item or even a link to a
                                                  special web page you've put up to clean out your stuff.

                                                  Anyone not sure if something qualifies, please catch the mods off line.