      From: Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...>
      To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [F-Costume] Question About Piping!

      On 2/26/2014 10:21 AM, Amanda wrote:
      I'm getting ready to make a dress with piping in the seams and along the hem, and I need to make A LOT of it. Is it okay to use synthetic cording in the piping? It's thin, 1/16th" maybe. I'm concerned it won't have enough bend to it.
      It's less about type and more about stiffness/hand... how tight it's twisted

      You're going to want to prewash the cord (and this will probably thicken it just a tad).  Lay down the cord on a table and see how it curve on it's own w/o forcing it.  It you're fighting the shaping, w/o it being surrounded w/ fabric... you're going to be fighting it a lot more when it's covered in a fabric wrap.    Sometimes a thicker but looser woven cord is the better choice.

      Hope you have a  piping foot... makes creating the piping and sewing it on so much easier.

      Another variable: a thicker cord will make a tighter tube.  If you're looking to stiffen edges or seams, this is good.  If you're looking to do much softer curves, smaller, but still soft is better.