6064Re: [F-Costume] Stiffening fabric

    Jun 23, 2013
      On 6/20/2013 9:08 AM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
      > I just ordered a Marc Jacobs fabric online and before it arrives I was
      > wondering about how to stiffen it just in case it was slightly too
      > soft handed. It's a silk cotton blend, so I obviously don't want to
      > use starch. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves? I have read
      > conflicting information about using hairspray. Does anyone have
      > experience with this?
      I'm not sure there's a good answer to that w/o more information....
      where and how are you using the fabric???

      Most fabric that's not stiff enough, if it's in the body of the costume,
      I just flatline it.

      In tops, sometimes a good piece of interfacing placed properly handles
      getting fabric to behave in certain areas.

      On the other hand, when I'm doing peticoats, lots of tucks and some

      If it's sleeves, not sure there is a cure beyond starch. Hair spray is
      going to wash out too. You'd have to test a lot, and it could yellow
      you fabric.

      More info please...

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic