5908Re: [F-Costume] Re: Pattern Mod help

  • Carol Kocian
    Nov 20, 2012
      On Nov 20, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Naresha wrote:

      > No fittings? That's going to be exceptionally problematic even
      > with the most precise and detailed measurements, especially with a
      > dress that is designed to hug the body and moreover, NEEDS to in
      > order to support itself, you will need fittings.

      Agreed! The alternative is for the client to understand the
      compromise needed. The original dress was made with lots of structure
      and with the actress available for fittings. I don't think you're
      going to get that exact dress, but you can get some features. The
      fabric, the color and the trimming will look beautiful even if it's
      not the exact lines.

      The patterns you've shown will be beautiful gowns, the only
      difference is that they do not have the heavy sleeves. You're not
      looking at the off-the-shoulder neckline.

      Plus you were talking about a stretch velvet, which will behave
      differently than a woven fabric. Your fitting "muslin" will need to
      have similar stretch to your stretch velvet.

      Part of the conversation with the client is, what parts of the
      original gown does she like the best? What does it need to have, vs.
      what can be compromised in order to be able to make it long-distance?

      -Carol
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic