4070Re: Rouching a bodice Test strips?

  • Sarah
    Jan 1, 2009
      whew, that's going to make it a lot easier.
      Another cool thing you can do with some silks, is to vary the grain
      from lengthwise to crosswise or bias, each of which are apt to catch
      the light differently. If you are backing each panel with on-grain
      organza for stability, you don't have to worry about unwanted stretch.
      I saw a wonderful book years ago about Barbara Karinska, who designed
      costumes for the NYC Ballet, showing these gorgeous faceted jewel-like
      bodices made with panels of silk not all on the straight.
      http://files.blog-city.com/files/A06/49559761/p/f/bsq1.jpg
      all I could find in a quick on line search, not as good as what's in
      the book, but you can see that the center fronts are on grain and the
      side fronts are on the bias.
      Just another possibility to toss into the mix!

      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Alyson <tolkienscholar@...> wrote:

      > Well, thankfully, she changed her mind from velvet to silk. She
      still wants the rouching though. I do love velvet, but I think velvet
      is one of those fabrics that speaks for itself and needs little to
      embellish it. :)
      > Kemper

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic