Power of the New Year

  • www.CoachMaria.com , Business & Life Coa
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      Reprint article in print or via the Internet
      with these requirements:

      ¤ Keep article intact, unless you contact Mark Susnow
      ¤ Must include byline with active link.
      ¤ Courtesy copy of newsletter or URL is required.
      ¤ Ask for changes you'd like made to an article or byline.
      ¤ Request to be added to our Article Publishers Elist and
      receive summaries of new articles as they are written.
      ¤ Contact info: Mark Susnow, Coach & Speaker at
      mailto:mark@...

      Word Count 738

      years is this really going to be a new year. His
      suggestions give you a new strategy to overcome your
      barriers to success.

      Power of the New Year

      We will not be able to expand what is possible in our lives
      until we transform our relationship to resistance. Once this
      occurs the way we look at goals and resolutions will also be
      transformed and the possibilities in our lives will be
      infinite including mastery over our negative thoughts.

      Let’s make this year have a power that you have not
      previously experienced. Assume there will be resistance,
      and assume that it doesn’t matter if there is because you
      know what’s on the other side. You

      Every year at this same time we all experience the same
      ritual. We assess how we did during the year. First
      we look at our bigger goals and that’s the easy part.
      We either hit our goals or we didn’t and we all feel
      differently about our success. The more difficult
      part is when we look at our subtle or personal goals,
      which include our relationships, our food choices,
      our spiritual practices and a myriad of other
      possibilities.

      And of course this brings us to the New Year.

      In the beginning of the year we are enthusiastic about
      beginning anew. There is a power and determination
      that we only experience once a year. We might
      implement a healthy body program, which includes
      diet and exercise, or we might renew our business
      or relationship goals.

      Whatever it is we usually recommit or expand upon our
      past goals with new fervor and new power but it’s
      inevitable as the weather changing our most noble
      intentions encounter resistance. For a while we are
      able to resist the resistance but ultimately
      we falter and give in just like in other years and end up
      modifying our goals and resolutions. If we approach the New
      Year with the same old attitudes, beliefs and patterns is it
      really a new year? What we’re really doing is giving in to
      our negative mind. We are letting our negative thoughts run
      our lives and stop us. It’s the nature of the mind that it
      will always find ways to distract us from our focus.

      You know that not giving in to resistance is the gateway to
      transforming your life.

      A few years ago my son, Josh,
      brought home a quote from the gym that speaks to me and I
      think will speak to you. It’s about “The Workout” and how a
      workout is much more than going to the gym and getting
      exercise. When we look at “The Workout” as a metaphor for
      life, the possibilities for transformation are infinite.
      And then the form of the workout doesn’t matter.

      WHAT IS A WORKOUT?
      A workout is 25 percent perspiration and 75 percent
      determination. Stated another way it is one part
      physical exertion and three parts self discipline. A
      workout makes you better today than you were yesterday. It
      strengthens the body, relaxes the mind and toughens the
      spirit. When you work out regularly your problems diminish
      and your confidence grows.

      A workout is a personal triumph over laziness and
      procrastination. It is the badge of a winner-the mark
      of an organized, goal oriented person who has taken
      charge of his or her destiny. A workout is a wise
      use of time and investment in excellence. It is a way of
      preparing for life’s challenges and proving to yourself that
      you have what it takes to do what is necessary.

      A workout is a key that helps unlock the door to opportunity
      and success. Hidden within each of us is an extraordinary
      force. Physical and mental fitness are the triggers that
      can release it. A workout is a form of rebirth. When you
      finish a workout you do not simply feel better, you feel
      better about yourself.

      There will be continual challenges along the way that will
      enable you to experience a sense of mastery over your
      resistant mind. Let me know what it is you discover in this
      quest to make a daily practice part of your life. To expand
      upon this opportunity you might want to rewrite this quote
      using a different word than workout. On a practical level
      what is your workout going to be? In a metaphorical sense
      what will your workout represent? I am curious as to what
      comes up for you and I love receiving your many responses
      and feedback. Feel free to pass this letter on to the
      friends in your circle and let them know about the
      advantages of being on the journey.

      © 2004 Mark Susnow, formerly a trial attorney for 30
      years is a coach, speaker, and group facilitator. He’s
      inspired hundreds of people to believe in themselves and
      to achieve their goals and dreams. Contact Mark to
      discover how you can benefit from coaching and his
      other programs. Visit http://www.inspirepossibility.com