New Article Announcement - Biography Corrected

  • Bonnie Jo Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2012
      Article Submission Detail:

      Article Title: How Do I Know If I Have Pre-Diabetes?
      Author Name: Gretchen Scalpi, RD, CDE
      Contact Email Address: nutritionxpertarticles@...
      Word Count: 516
      Suggested Category: health
      Description: A Certified Diabetes Educator shares information on what pre-diabetes is and what kind of blood test results you can expect after diagnosis. She also discusses potential symptoms and why a lack of symptoms does not mean you do not have pre-diabetes.
      Copyright Date: 2012

      You have permission to publish this article in your ezine or on your web site, free of charge, as long as the byline and the article is included in it's entirety. If you use the article you are required to activate any links found in the article and the by-line. You may not use this article in any publication that is not-optin (spam).

      Complete Article with Resource Box at end:

      How Do I Know If I Have Pre-Diabetes?

      In order to know whether you have pre-diabetes or not, it is helpful to understand exactly what pre-diabetes means. The term pre-diabetes is used to describe the state between normal blood sugar and type 2 diabetes. At one time, physicians used to refer to pre-diabetes as "having a touch of sugar," or "borderline diabetes". Fortunately, these terms are no longer used! Somehow having a touch of sugar does not convey the urgency or importance of taking steps to correct a potentially serious health issue.

      A person with pre-diabetes may go on to develop type 2 diabetes. While type 2 diabetes is a permanent condition, pre-diabetes is not. In fact, if the right steps are taken to treat pre-diabetes early, you may be able to reverse the condition and never develop diabetes at all.

      The easiest way to find out if you have pre-diabetes is to get your blood sugar checked. For this test, you will have to fast overnight and have your blood drawn at the lab. A fasting blood sugar between 100 and 125 mg/dl is indicative of pre-diabetes. For the record, normal fasting blood sugar is between 70 and 99 mg/dl, and a fasting blood sugar greater than 125 mg/dl is indicative of diabetes.

      If you have gotten a blood sugar reading in the pre-diabetes range (100-125 mg/dl), you should have the fasting blood sugar test repeated a second time to see if the result is still the same. If it is similar a second time, that is a confirmation of pre-diabetes.

      Pre-diabetes may or may not have symptoms that accompany higher than normal blood sugar. Don’t assume that a lack of symptoms means that everything is fine. I have interviewed hundreds of people with the diagnosis and learned that many people had absolutely no idea that they had pre-diabetes. They may feel just fine or perhaps notice that they are a little more tired than usual. Often the person having a routine medical checkup learns quite by accident that their blood sugar is in the pre-diabetes range. The person who feels a little more tired than usual may not make the connection between the fatigue and the pre-diabetes.

      Here are some red flags that may or may not occur with pre-diabetes, but you should see a doctor if you have any of these symptoms:

      * increased thirst
      * increase urination, particularly at night
      * fatigue that does not improve, even with more sleep
      * blurred vision that is not permanent

      The most important thing to know about pre-diabetes is that you cannot ignore it. If diagnosed, don’t believe that it will get better on its own or go away. Blood sugar levels that remain in the pre-diabetic range can cause complications that are usually associated with diabetes. Take positive steps to reverse pre-diabetes sooner rather than later. Learn how to get started with a healthy lifestyle plan that includes proper diet and exercise.

      © 2012 Gretchen Scalpi. All rights reserved. You are free to reprint/republish this article as long as the article and byline are kept intact and all links are made live.

      Gretchen Scalpi is a Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator, author and Certified Wellcoach®. Gretchen has worked with hundreds of clients in her own private practice since 2002, providing nutrition and wellness coaching. She is the author of the "Pre-Diabetes: Your Second Chance at Health" and "The Everything Guide to Managing and Reversing Prediabetes". To learn more about her services and books visit http://www.nutritionxpert.com