Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

  • Lance Metzger
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2012
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Lance Metzger

      Article Title:
      Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

      Article Description:
      When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
      many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
      love.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2012-06-01 10:30:00

      Written By: Lance Metzger
      Copyright: 2008-2012
      Contact Email: mailto:lance.metzger@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Lance Metzger, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/lance-metzger.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/avoid-online-dating-scams.shtml#get_code

      Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams
      Copyright (c) 2008-2012 Lance Metzger
      NSA Dating Site
      http://www.nsadatingsite.com

      When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
      many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
      love.

      A friend of mine recently experienced a scammer's attempt to get
      into his wallet. I warned him of the danger, but he wanted his
      new girl to be real, so he was willing to remain optimistic
      through the entire process.

      Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with optimistic
      people, especially since I live an optimistic life, even myself.

      Through the entire process, my friend would call and ask what I
      thought of his interactions for that day. I tried not to be too
      critical of his potential new love, but I frequently cautioned
      him to look for red flags in her story.

      Here is a short list of the Red Flags you should be aware of when
      seeking a date online:

      * Declarations of Love after only a few emails. When someone
      declares their undying love after only a few emails and before
      you have met them in person, the most impressive of red flags
      should be triggered. There are only two types of people who
      declare love, without first meeting you in person: 1] desperate
      stalkers (do you remember the movie, Fatal Attraction), or 2]
      scammers.

      * They Are Out-of-Country - They may say they are from the
      United States, but for whatever reason, they are outside the
      country currently. This is the first signal of their upcoming
      bait-and-hook strategy. What this generally leads to is a
      suggestion that they do not have the money to come home and they
      need your assistance to pay for their flight; or in one
      conversation I was involved, her U.S. babysitter is demanding
      money to pay for babysitting services for her young child. If you
      send them the money, they will lose it, or the money will be
      stolen from them, and they will need more so that they can get
      back home to you.

      * They Dodge Personal Questions - They always seem distracted or
      dim-witted when you ask them questions. Nine times in ten, they
      will never answer a question you asked. If you are wondering what
      is up, keep asking questions. This is important, and it takes us
      to our next red flag.

      * Look For Inconsistencies In Their Story - My friend finally
      caught the red flag when his girl, who had already explained that
      both of her parents had died in a car wreck four years before,
      slipped up. She said the reason that she chose to go to college
      in Nigeria (go figure) was that her dad "owns" a business
      there. (Which dad? Her dead one?)

      * Bad Grammar and Spelling - Don't get me wrong. There are
      plenty of people here in the U.S., who don't spell so hot. But
      those who are in the States will mask their poor spelling and
      grammar with plenty of abbreviations: LOL (Laughing Out Loud),
      BRB (Be Right Back), TTYL (Talk To You Later), CYA (See Ya),
      ROFLOL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing Out Loud), and WTF (What
      The ... you know). Foreigners don't know these keyboard
      shortcuts, nor would they understand why they would be used.

      * Lackluster Photographs - Frequently they show pictures with
      little or no quality, pictures that are hard to see. Some will
      actually have two or three good quality pics, but not more. (This
      isn't a perfect catch, since I only have two photos, one of
      which is from a professional photo place.) But, as has been
      pointed out many times before, the scammers will NEVER have a
      photo with their friends. If the scammer sends you a small photo,
      ask for a bigger copy. The scammer will not be able to produce
      one. (This is an area where my own photos can be seen to be real,
      as I can produce all my photos in their original monster-size.)

      * Lack of Local Knowledge - When my friend found his girl, she
      claimed to have been from a town only 15 miles from his home.
      Even if he had never been to her town, he could go to Google to
      find some information about her town (which he did). When they
      are from your town, you can ask them about favorite restaurants
      or party places. Don't be afraid to test them by asking about
      something that you know does not exist. If they claim knowledge
      of what you know does not exist, then you will have received a
      super huge red flag.

      * They Have No Family - This is frequently a hook for gaining
      your sympathy. Sometimes it might be true, we do know of people
      who have lost their whole families. But if they volunteer the
      information, without your first asking, then you definitely need
      to red flag that contact, and start looking for other red flags.

      Many of these red flag items should not be viewed as absolute
      signals of a fraudulent flirt. But, when red flags start piling
      up, you should be fully aware of the very real potential of
      someone trying to scam you.

      If you see any of these red flags, but you wish to remain
      optimistic, figure out what you think the bait-and-hook will be,
      and then make sure that you don't fall for it when it comes to
      you.

      If an online lover requires you to spend money or give them
      money, then you need to notify the dating website where you met
      this person, so that the dating website can kick that person off
      the website.

      My friend was seeing red flags left and right, and yet he desired
      to remain positive. I told him what the bait-and-hook would be,
      and he continued forward optimistically. Then on a lark, he put a
      sentence from his lover's first email into Google and discovered
      a word-for-word documentation of all of the emails he received
      from his girl on a website called: http://www.RomanceScam.com

      My friend did not have to play the game until the bait-and-hook
      was offered. Instead, he was able to see well ahead of that play
      that his girl was sending him a series of form letters that she
      (or he) uses with many potential marks.

      Fortunately, my friend was able to see the light before his phony
      girl got into his wallet. And hopefully, since you have now read
      this article and you are now aware of what is going on out there
      in the online dating world, you will not get taken to the
      cleaners either.

      Lance Metzger writes about relationships, offline and online
      dating. Our no-strings-attached dating site has become a popular
      online adult dating destination, due to its large membership
      base of people looking for relationships of all kinds. Learn
      more at: http://www.nsadatingsite.com/
      Consider Lance's new Kindle book, "Making Memories: Creative
      Dating Ideas": http://raintreepublishing.com/creative-dating-ideas/

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/avoid-online-dating-scams.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Lance Metzger can be reached at:
      lance.metzger@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:lance.metzger@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      *
      *
      * EzineZone@yahoogroups.com
      *

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by:

      Bill Platt
      3010 E Raintree
      Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

      and opinion of its author, Lance Metzger
      http://www.nsadatingsite.com

    • Lance Metzger
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
        A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Lance Metzger

        Article Title:
        Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

        Article Description:
        When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
        many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
        love.

        Additional Article Information:
        ===============================

        Distribution Date and Time: 2013-01-03 13:00:00

        Written By: Lance Metzger
        Copyright: 2008-2013
        Contact Email: mailto:lance.metzger@...

        For more free-reprint articles by Lance Metzger, please visit:
        http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/lance-metzger.html

        Versions Of Article Are Available at:
        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/avoid-online-dating-scams.shtml#get_code

        Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams
        Copyright (c) 2008-2013 Lance Metzger
        NSA Dating Site
        http://www.nsadatingsite.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
          A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Lance Metzger

          Article Title:
          Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

          Article Description:
          When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
          many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
          love.

          Additional Article Information:
          ===============================

          Distribution Date and Time: 2013-04-10 13:00:00

          Written By: Lance Metzger
          Copyright: 2008-2013

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2013
            A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Lance Metzger

            Article Title:
            Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

            Article Description:
            When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
            many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
            love.

            Additional Article Information:
            ===============================

            Distribution Date and Time: 2013-08-20 11:00:00

            Written By: Lance Metzger
            Copyright: 2008-2013

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2013
              A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Lance Metzger

              Article Title:
              Tips To Help You Spot and Avoid Online Dating Scams

              Article Description:
              When seeking romance on the Internet, you should be aware of the
              many scammers that are seeking to victimize those looking for
              love.

              Additional Article Information:

              Distribution Date and Time: 2013-10-29 13:00:00

              Written By: Lance Metzger
              Copyright: 2008-2013