Shopping In London

  • lardylegs2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2009
      Shopping is one of the main reasons people flock to London in their
      hoards all year round. With over 40,000 shops from huge department
      stores to fabulous fashion shops, London is the heart for fashion, style
      and music. A wide variety of shops are all over London, from high priced
      exclusive clothing and goods, (some severely over priced I might add) to
      some amazing deals. For lovers of clothes and shoe shopping and more
      shoe shopping ladies, London has all the designs and the wackiest looks.
      But before you start, ring your bank, up your credit card limit, its
      time to start spending!

      Camden Market is the place to go if you want cheaper stuff, it's located
      next to the Camden Locks; this is London's most popular market. It gets
      extremely busy here at weekends with thousands of traders, but watch out
      for the "buggy brigade" (parents with pushchairs!) your feet will be
      swollen, but not from the incessant shopping... from having them
      continuously rolled over and stamped on! Even so, you are sure to find
      the perfect pair of shoes to match that expensive designer outfit you
      just spent your whole months wages on. On the other hand, if you are
      looking for something a little different then Kensington Market might be
      a good choice, it's located on Kensington High Street, this market
      caters for the underground fashions. You can also find an extensive
      range of outrageous hair colours, punk and gothic clothing and
      accessories, record stores, the latest in techno, platform shoes,
      leather goods and jewellery.

      Portobello Road Market features antique goods, as well as clothing and
      music, hundreds of stalls on weekends, and cafes and bars. It is also a
      "celeb hotspot" with many famous people living and shopping in the area.

      Oxford Street & Regent Street are the main areas in which to find many
      High Street stores. All the main ones are here from Marks and Spencer,
      Debenhams, John Lewis, Boots, W.H. Smith, Bhs, C&A and of course
      Hamley's Toy Shop, which I must add is absolutely breath taking,
      especially at Christmas, every child and "older child's" dream come
      true. You may not find many low priced goods here, but it really is
      worth a look. So credit cards at the ready!

      You will also find Harrods; most people make a visit to this shop just
      to look at the costly price tags, as well as the wide variety of food on
      offer. But be sure to dress respectively, no light coloured clothing
      caked in the muddy tyre marks from the "buggy brigade" in the markets!!
      There is a dress code to shop here!

      And then there is Soho. Soho is the place to go for a variety of
      boutiques; Janet Fitch for designer jewellery, Metalmorphis for body
      piercings, and Ann Summers for kinky lingerie. Ambient Soho and Black
      Market Records stock the best of techno, jungle and dance music. Try the
      Vintage Magazine Shop for excellent movie & TV memorabilia and posters.
      Soho is the ideal place if you are looking for something to do "After
      Dark"; it offers a wide range of erotic videos, sex toys, good cafes and
      restaurants and strip clubs. Soho is an interesting place to wander
      around, especially for the men who like to "window shop"!!

      Shopping in London can be an exciting experience, whether you want to
      spend or just browse. It's a vibrant city - buying something often
      involves discovering interesting surroundings and exploring new ones. At
      the seasonal times of year it is probably best to start early, London
      streets begin to look like an anthill around lunchtime! I myself am a
      true Londoner... born and bred, everyday there is something new to be
      found.

      Top 5 'Must Buy Something In' Shops In London - (just for the feel good
      factor, oh, and the carrier bag!)

      Hamleys Toy Shop

      Wow! That is the only word that came out of our mouths when we walked
      through the doors of Hamley's, I lost my two kids and my husband
      immediately! Unfortunately, they found me again when they wanted money!
      But if you are looking for a reminder of your childhood or looking for
      something special for your own kids then this is the shop, and it really
      isn't that expensive either, you can pick up a gift for as little as a
      fiver. It really is magical, 7 floors of it, a definite must. Nearest
      tubes: Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus. Official website:
      http://www.hamleys.com <http://www.hamleys.com/>

      Covent Garden

      If you are on a visit to London then try to visit the very trendy Covent
      Garden, with all the up-to-date designer shops like French Connection,
      H&M, Calvin Klein and Gap to name but a few. If you are shopaholic like
      myself then you will love Covent Garden, a fair few celebrities also
      shop and eat here. The Ivy restaurant is a well-known celebrity hotspot,
      if you can't get in to enjoy the tasty food on offer then take a stroll
      past... 2 or 3 times... spot the celebrity! Nearest tube: Covent Garden

      Harrods

      A trip to London wouldn't be complete without a visit to world-famous
      Harrods. Some just want to check out the expensive price tags, others
      buy stuff just for the carrier bag. Even so, you will find everything
      you need here, mind you, the store is huge and it is easy to get lost.
      And remember; if you need the loo... take some money with you! Nearest
      tube: Knightsbridge. Official website: http://www.harrods.com
      <http://www.harrods.com/>

      Carnaby Street

      Carnaby Street has loads on offer for yourself and a guilt gift for him
      (well, we have to buy him something don't we? After all, it's his credit
      card!). For him, there are sports shops like Puma, Ben Sherman, G-room
      and if he's a budding DJ then there's Kingly Court, this a great place
      to buy great vinyls. Oh, and not forgetting a place where he can
      re-fuel... there's a few pubs too! And for the ladies, there is a number
      of fine cosmetics shops, a few boutiques selling vintage mod clothing,
      designer shoe shops and Liberty's is just round the corner in Fouberts
      Place. There are places where we can re-fuel too... coffee shops and
      sandwich bars. Nearest tube: Oxford Circus

      New Bond Street and Old Bond Street

      Just off of Oxford Street, is the less crowded but far more expensive
      New Bond Street and Old Bond Street, for all those that have an endless
      flow of cash then this is the place to spend all of it! Most of the
      shops here have "greeters" who will smile, open doors for you, and wish
      you a nice day! Oh, and keep your eyes open for the odd celebrity here
      too, London's Bond streets are well known for bringing out the odd one
      or two. Nearest tube: Bond Street

      It's a vast, fast and vibrant city; London has it all. Don't miss it...
      come and visit!
      Lisa Mills runs two websites, one selling baby gifts
      <http://www.newbabygiftboxes.co.uk/> and the other promoting childrens
      gift ideas <http://www.childrensgiftideas.co.uk/> .