Taming The Technostress

  • Bonnie Jo Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      Article Submission Detail:

      Article Title: Taming The Technostress
      Author Name: Eileen McDargh, CSP, CPAE
      Contact Email Address: eileen@...
      Word Count: 533
      Suggested Category: stress management
      information overload by managing your energy and not your time.
      Copyright Date: 2009

      You have permission to publish this article in your ezine or on your web
      site, free of charge, as long as the byline and the article is included in
      it's entirety. If you use the article you are required to activate any
      links found in the article and the by-line. You may not use this article in
      any publication that is not-optin (spam).

      Complete Article with Resource Box at end:

      Taming The Technostress

      Last week, my big desktop PC crashed, my laptop got the "blue screen: of
      death". The refrigerator croaked, and the toaster oven went the heaven. My
      I-phone decided to stop receiving e-mail and the dashboard in my car kept
      erroneously sending warning messages.

      It wasn't even a full moon!

      As marvelous as all our technology is, chronic malfunctions and crashes and
      the constant demand to keep up might account for the fact that at least one
      in four of us will admit to physically assaulting a device. There's even a
      ratio for judging the attack because the chances of failure are in direct
      proportion to the urgency of the task they are needed for. Hence the scream
      heard from my assistant as she tried to get out my summer newsletter before
      autumn.

      It doesn't get better. The 2009 March/April issue of Psychotherapy Networker
      says that such chronic, unalleviated stress compromises our cognitive and
      emotional functions as well as undermining our immune system. Nor does it
      when a workplace (often unknowingly) contrives urgency by leashing employees
      with PDAs, laptops, pagers, and anything else for instant access and
      response.

      Well intentioned. And ultimately a timewaster and a driver of increased
      health care costs.

      What happens is that we continually try to multitask, toggling back and
      forth, answering the ping of instant messages, and wind up feeling
      constantly "on". Instead of concentrating on one task, we unconsciously scan
      for the next message or task, thus spending often 50% more time on one job
      before taking on another.

      Ways to conquer the beast:

      Manage your energy not your time. You don't run marathons every day yet we
      try and do the equivalent at our work. Studies of energy suggest a
      90-minute rhythm. This means stopping and doing something to recovers your
      energy expenditure. (Coffee and chocolate don't count. Nor does smoking).
      Take a 4-minute relaxation break. Walk outside, deep breath, trying
      biofeedback. Go outside. Drink water. And when it's time-go home without
      work.

      Program your computer to delete messages after 30 days. If no one has
      screamed by then, how important could it be?

      Send out the equivalent of a "do not disturb" sign, telling folks you will
      respond from 3-4pm daily. If it's an emergency-call you.

      Turn off rings, pings, dings, and anything that sings.

      Distinguish between uninterrupted work time and answer time.

      Work with your team to determine the important and urgent from the
      unimportant.

      Cut the cord. If you continue to remain connected all the time-you have only
      yourself to blame with the constant barrage of requests.

      At the end of the day, reset to zero. You did what you could. It's done.
      Over. Finito. Do NOT plan tomorrow today. Your brain will start working on
      it and there goes the sleep.

      Shut the door of your office. Turn off the computer. Reset to zero. Tomorrow
      is a new day.

      Do NOT take the PDA to bed with you. Give it a rest. Give all of us a rest.

      Without boundaries, Tyrannosaurus Techno will win again.

      (c) 2009, McDargh Communications. Publication rights granted to all venues
      so long as article and by-line are reprinted intact and all links are made
      live.

      Since 1980, Hall of Fame speaker Eileen McDargh has helped Fortune 100
      companies as well as individuals create connections that count and
      conversations that matter. Executive Excellence ranks her among the top 100
      thought-leaders in leadership development. Looking for help with work and
      life challenges? Visit http://www.eileenmcdargh.com/shop.html today!