We Are Right In The Middle Of A Pay Per Click Baby Boom

  • articleskb2
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      This article is freely available for reprint provided that the
      resource box at the end of the article is left intact and the
      article is published complete and unaltered. If you are using
      this article on a website or e-book, please make sure that the
      link in the resource box is live or clickable.

      We Are Right In The Middle Of A Pay Per Click Baby Boom

      By Kirk Bannerman

      No, this baby boom will certainly not swamp the Social Security
      system (sort of a bad joke for those that live in the United
      States, but many other countries...most notably Japan...have an
      even more acute problem), but this baby boom is revolutionizing
      the way that pay per click advertising is being spread across the
      Internet.

      One of the early participants in this pay per click baby boom was
      Google, with its AdSense program. With this program, Google
      shares pay per click revenue with a huge number of individual
      partner websites that carry a few pay per click ads that are
      distributed by Google. In essence, this creates a whole bunch of
      little pay per click locations (websites) throughout the Internet
      and hence the term "pay per click baby boom".

      Conceptually, programs like AdSense are similar to what the
      computer hardware folks refer to a distributed processing.
      Instead of trying to draw everyone to a large pay per click
      search engine site, little groups of pay per click ads are spread
      widely across thousands of locations (websites) all over the
      Internet.

      Actually, this distributed processing or propagation technique is
      not limited to pay per click advertising. For example, Amazon
      uses a similar arrangement (called Amazon Associates) to sell the
      products it carries on amazon.com and ClickBank has a sales
      program called CBAdwords which operates in a similar fashion.

      According my trusty Ouija board, it seems likely that most
      commercial hubs on the Internet will be shifting to this
      propagation concept as time progresses...all of those individual
      partner websites that carry the message/proposition will
      constitute the vast army of worker ants that keep the queen ant
      alive and healthy.

      From a pay per click marketing perspective, these programs make
      brilliant use of leverage while providing highly targeted
      prospects for the paying advertiser.

      There are, of course, some interesting things that occur as a
      result of all of this stuff. For example, consider what I call
      the "cross fertilization effect": Suppose a person goes to
      yahoo.com and performs a search that leads them to one of my
      websites that happens carry Google AdSense ads and that visitor
      then clicks on one of those ads...the net result is that Yahoo
      natural search provided Google pay per click with some revenue!
      Aren't these fun times that we're living in?

      As these programs continue to proliferate, the individual
      webmaster needs to exercise a little restraint and avoid the
      temptation to go overboard by plastering these ads all over your
      website and thereby diluting your own primary message/proposition
      and confusing your hard earned visitor. When properly used,
      these ads are just ancillary or complementary content that you
      are providing to enhance the information and opportunities that
      you are providing to your visitor...if something happens to
      strike a responsive chord with your visitor, you might make a
      little pay per click money.

      If properly used, these propagation programs can result in the
      classical "win-win" situation. However, if you over do it, this
      can quickly turn into a loss for you (the individual webmaster)
      and a win for your pay per click partners that are distributing
      the ads. As in many things, moderation is important.

      It's a constant sea of change, but the good things just keep on
      getting better! Stay alert, and light on your feet, and the
      opportunities will just keep on coming your way.

      The above are just some observations from "the peanut gallery",
      but I don't think I'm far off the mark about where things are
      heading. With that, I'm off the soapbox and wishing you
      success in whatever you do online!

      Kirk Bannerman operates a successful home based business and
      coaches others seeking to start their own home based business.
      Visit his website at <a href="http://www.business-at-home.us">
      Legitimate Home Based Business</a> for more details.