Sales Speak from Bob Vila

  • BIG Mike McDaniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2006
      Title: Sales Speak from Bob Vila
      Length:736 words
      Author:BIG Mike McDaniel
      Email:Mike@...
      Category:Business/Sales/Marketing
      Copyright 2006
      Web Address: http://BIGIdeasGroup.com

      PERMISSION TO PUBLISH: This article may be published in
      magazines, newspapers, newsletters and on web sites provided
      the copyright and resource box are included.

      OK to edit for space and audience requirements. Please use
      an active hyperlink on websites.

      Complete Article with Resource Box follows

      Sales Speak from Bob Vila
      by BIG Mike McDaniel
      Small Business Advertising Expert

      With so many different programs, and reruns and re-packaging
      of older programs, we can assume there are few people on the
      planet who do not know about Bob Vila. Starting with the
      original "This Ol’ House" programs on PBS in 1979, Bob Vila
      and his empire, have grown into a major force in the Home
      Improvement Television genre.

      The professional salesperson can learn a whole lot more from
      Bob Vila than how to screet concrete or put mud on the
      drywall.

      Bob Vila is a study in brand awareness. Bob is the brand.
      The challenge was getting people to recognize, and
      ultimately respect Bob Vila, as THE home improvement expert.
      Whatever he did before that first TV program is
      inconsequential as is whether or not he can saw a board of
      drive a nail (something he does verl little of on his show).

      Bob Vila has become a household name. Brand awareness to the
      highest degree. This didn’t happen by accident, but by
      clever design. The design element continues today, every
      time you see him on the tube. How did he do it? Simple, all
      he did was tell all the people on TV to call him by name,
      over and over. A lot like subliminal advertising. You don’t
      realize you are getting the message. A typical segment of
      any of his programs, past or present, might go like this:

      Bob: Today on our show, Fred Murtz is going to show us how
      to cut a board with a handsaw. Welcome to our show Fred.

      Fred: Thanks, Bob, glad to be here.

      Bob: You’ve been cutting boards for a long time

      Fred: I sure have Bob. I got my first hand saw at age seven,
      from my grandpa. I brought several saws to show you, Bob.

      Bob: Show us how to use that saw (pointing)

      Fred: That is a crosscut saw, Bob. It is the mainstay in
      most basic construction. Bob, this is the easiest of all
      saws to use. You hold it like this, Bob. And when you begin
      the movement up and down, you put your index finger along
      the side here, can you see that, Bob? That’s how you cut
      straighter Bob, with that little finger pointing the way.
      (and so on.) catching on?

      Everyone Bob talks with uses his name repeatedly. If you
      look at it apart from the program, you can see that people
      don’t really talk that way. Could all his guests be
      instructed to use his name in every sentence possible? Bob
      never uses their name after the introduction until the end
      bit when he thanks the guest, by name.

      So who’s name do we hear, hundreds of times in a program?
      Bob Vila! It didn’t take long for him to be recognized as
      consummate hammer and nails guru. Better yet, he doesn’t do
      any of the work on his shows, he just gets people to use his
      name while they do it all.

      How does this relate to advertisins and sales you ask? Easy,
      you can use the Bob Vila approach on your customers. Use
      their name at every opportunity. Practice until you can use
      it in every third sentence. It will create an instant
      rapport. The more you can use the customer’s name, the more
      you can build trust and confidence with that person.

      Think about the many times you have watched Bob on TV and
      not noticed how the guests use his name over and over. The
      majority of people don’t see it until someone (like me in
      this article) points it out. Most folks never see the
      hidden meaning there, or recognize the unusual sentence
      structure. You can use name-infected sentences in any
      conversation, to your advantage, every time. They work,
      beautifully. And they never offend ("Hey, Fred, would you
      mind not using my name so much, I’m sorta sensitive!").

      The next time you talk with a customer, remember what Bob
      Vila did and you, too, can be the most respected person in
      your field.

      ©2006 BIG Mike McDaniel, Small Business Advertising
      Expert, all rights reserved. BIG Mike is a Business
      Consultant and Professional Speaker. His BIG Ideas Group
      helps business grow with promotions, special reports,
      mastermind groups, seminars and consulting. Subscribe to
      "BIG Ideas for Small Business" Newsletter
      http://BigIdeasGroup.com

      --
      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.