Re: reading circles

  • Margaret Orleans
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013

       Bilbospotcowtankblackbailey asked about reading circles.

      I used them for Extensive Reading III (third required semester of ER for English majors) at my former university (I retired in March).  The role sheets in the Oxford short story collections (we used the lowest two levels, Bronze and Pearl) provided enough support for the students to carry on 30- to 40-minute discussions (or more) in our weekly 90-minute class.

      The students (about 40 of them) belonged to permanent self-selected groups of six or seven (so a few groups used the added role of Illustrator or Biographer, for which I created my own Role Sheets).  They rotated roles each week and handed in the completed role sheets after the discussion--no late homework accepted.  While they carried on their discussions, I rotated among the groups, listening to their discussions, asking further questions, and checking their reading logs (180 minutes per week of graded readers of their choice), giving personalized advice on speed, level, and future books they might enjoy.  Any time remaining after the discussion could be used for starting on the next week's story, reviewing the story they had just discussed, planning the two group projects, or free reading.

      Students responded very positively to the reading circles, though I doubt that any of them continued on their own after the course ended (like the group in the forward to the textbook).

      --Peg
    • Susan Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
        I've done reading circles as an occasional break, not that ER requires a break.

        I've used the Handouts for Roles from Oxford's Bookworms.

        Susan

        Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can. All of them make me laugh. - W.H. Auden

      • Susan Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
          I'll add that teachers who've had my students after they left me, report that the classes ask for both ER time and
          Literature Circles.

          Susan
          Jinan, China