Re: [ExtensiveReading] Reading Champions

  • Glen Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
      Here in Japan I don't think there are such things as reading champions.
      Glenski

      On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM, patricksmithinuae <patricksmithinuae@...> wrote:

      Do members promote reading champions using role models from the world of sport and entertainment or business/government leaders who can inspire. Scotland also has the reading stars programme similar to the English RC. I am hoping to reach out to various partners in the UAE to get government funding for such an adventure and was wondering what experiences others had had.
      Tom

    • yvonnetokyo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2014

        I realise this is an old message but I’m just catching up now.

        Do you know about the READ posters? The American Library Association has been running his campaign for decades. They make posters of sports and entertainment celebrities and other famous people holding a book and the single word ‘Read’. Most of the celebrities are real but they’ve also done Kermit and Yoda. If you enter ALA Read poster in Google Images you will see many examples. They’ve been doing it so long that they must feel it’s effective.

      • yvonnetokyo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2014

          I realise this is an old message but I’m just catching up now.

          Do you know about the READ posters? The American Library Association has been running his campaign for decades. They make posters of entertainment and sports celebrities and other famous people holding a book and the single word ‘Read’. Most of the celebrities are real but they’ve also done Kermit and Yoda. If you enter ALA Read poster in Google Images you will see many examples. They’ve been doing it so long that they must feel it’s effective.

        • Frank Christensen
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2014
            Small disclaimer might be appropriate to forwarn idealistic book lovers. These posters are not FREE. 16 bucks a pop. Caveat emptor.

            On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:20 PM, "y_beaudry@..." <y_beaudry@...> wrote:

            I realise this is an old message but I’m just catching up now.
            Do you know about the READ posters? The American Library Association has been running his campaign for decades. They make posters of entertainment and sports celebrities and other famous people holding a book and the single word ‘Read’. Most of the celebrities are real but they’ve also done Kermit and Yoda. If you enter ALA Read poster in Google Images you will see many examples. They’ve been doing it so long that they must feel it’s effective.

          • Tom Le Seelleur
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2014
              In the UK there is something that used to be called Reading Champions but is now called Reading Stars.  It is a very successful national campaign to raise literacy combined with premiership football (soccer) teams.
              The whole of the National Literary Trust is dedicated to getting all people to read more from adults to babies, students, teachers and parents even those in prison.  http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/premier_league_reading_stars/about_plrs
              Tom