Level inquiry on older readers

  • myles1000sei
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2013
      Hi all,

      Some good news: Our library is trying to review its collection of graded readers. To that end, I am writing to see if anyone has any information of comparative levels for some older graded readers. Does anyone have comparative level information on:

      Longman Structural Readers (particularly levels 3,4, 5, and 6)
      Collier MacMillan English Readers

      The books seem to have been published a long time ago, but we'd like to make use of them if we can!

      With all the hard work many groups and individuals have put in, it's easy to present a consistent level system now - so many thanks to everyone. The library wants to use the Yomiyasusa Level (YL) for library books. We have been using it in our program, so it makes life easier for everyone. That said, any levelling system might help.

      Many thanks!
    • john_m_tennant
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
        Have you checked the ERF out of print readers list? (  https://sites.google.com/site/erfgrlist/ ) There is a link at the bottom of the page to an "out of print readers list".  I had a quick look at the Longman Structural Readers listed there, and many of them seem to be old editions of some readers in the current Penguin series.

        Hope this helps.

        john
      • john_m_tennant
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
          Have you checked the ERF out of print readers list? (  https://sites.google.com/site/erfgrlist/ ) There is a link at the bottom of the page to an "out of print readers list".  I had a quick look at the Longman Structural Readers listed there, and many of them seem to be old editions of some readers in the current Penguin series.

          Hope this helps.

          john

          (Excuse me if I have double posted)
        • Marc Helgesen
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
            Re: Level inquiry on older readers

            Miles asked about these older series:
            Longman Structural Readers (particularly levels 3,4, 5, and 6)
            Collier MacMillan English Readers

            On an old list I used, I grouped the readers into various.  I'll compare them to Oxford Bookworms since that series has been around forever.   Even though it seem more logical to compare LSR (Longman Structural Readers) to other Longman, then Penguin levels, when the Longman and Penguin readers merged, there were some level differences so I'll avoid that.

            Note that my library has six levels so the levels are broader than some breakdowns.

            I don't have info on Collier MacMillan.  I do have the old Macmillan Rangers levels. You can see if they are the same/similar.

            OUP (OXFORD) bookwarms - Starter
            *LSRs (regular format, Stage 1/300 words)
            *LSRs (wide format, Stage 2/500 words)
            *Macmillan Rangers (wide format, Range 1/450 words)

            OUP (OXFORD) Bookworms (Stage 1 &2/400/700 words)
            *LSRs (regular format, Stage 2/500 words)

            OUP (OXFORD) Bookworms 3 =1000 words
            *LSRs (Stage 3/750 words)
            *Macmillan Rangers (Range 3/1150 words) Macmillan

            OUP (OXFORD) Bookworms (Stage 4)
            *LSRs (stage 4/1100 words)
            *MacmillanRangers (Range 4/1500 words) Macmillan

            (OXFORD) Bookworms (Stage 5 &6/1800/2500 words)
            *LSRs (Stages 5 &6/1500/1800 words)
            MacmillanRangers (Range 5/1850 words) Macmillan OUP

            Another way to compare is to look at the number of headwords and compare it to the Extensive Reading Foundation's Graded Reader Scale (http://erfoundation.org/wordpress/?page_id=58)

            You can use that to compare to various current series at http://www.robwaring.org/er/scale/ERF_lev

            Hope this helps.

            Marc

            --

            Marc Helgesen
            Professor
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
              Myles,

              It is great to have a lot of books for your students but when I reorganized all the readers and pulled all the old once together form their hiding places I noticed that students almost never choose them and some were even put off by "old dusty looking books". I am not saying that old books are bad and not worthy having but they do not appeal to most of our students and they actually make it more difficult to convince the students about the benefits and enjoyment of ER.  If you can get by without them, or be very selective in what to included it might be better for your ER program in the long run.

              Regards,
              Bjorn Fuisting

              On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM, john_m_tennant <john_m_tennant@...> wrote:

              Have you checked the ERF out of print readers list? (  https://sites.google.com/site/erfgrlist/ ) There is a link at the bottom of the page to an "out of print readers list".  I had a quick look at the Longman Structural Readers listed there, and many of them seem to be old editions of some readers in the current Penguin series.

              Hope this helps.

              john

            • Ben Shearon
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
                Hi Bjorni

                I agree completely! Was just going through our books and we've got a few isolated ones from old series that have seen better days: my first instinct was to retire them, and I think I will now :)

                All the best

                ==========
                Ben Shearon

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
                  HI everyone,

                  Many thanks for the replies. It's great to get such a fast response. Getting to the main points:

                  John and Marc, thanks for the links. I have always found it hard to give levels using headwords only, as the counting systems are quite different, particularly with older publishers. That said, it is definitely the place to start.

                  Bjorn and Ben, I kind of agree. The older books are in a separate stack (and some of these were published in 1980!). I suggested these books be excluded from the more up-to-date series, but that may be beyond my control. We will do our best to give them what they want, and hope that the dialogue can develop a bit more.

                  I think we have a good number of more-recent series, so I am happy enough to move forward. We use a colour-coding system for low-level learners (under YL 2.0), and putting this into the library is one of the main goals. It looks like most of the books are above the point we use colour-codes, but we will be using a rough YL on the books' spines. Most of our readers remain at the 0.8-1.2 level, although I am happy to report some good progress with students moving beyond that.

                  We had a reasonably successful library program last semester, and we are hoping to build on that. Besides the students, teachers are starting to see the readers as more accessible now, and the profile of ER is rising. It's down for our pre-semester teachers' meeting, and I'm hoping that keeping in with the library will help us to maintain enough books to keep our momentum.

                  So thanks again for all the help!

                  Myles