Re: [ExtensiveReading] Julian's EL info

  • Mathew White
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hi all,

      First of all, I really appreciated the posting on EL material. Thank you.

      At Chukyo, we have a required movie viewing component for our English
      majors, and I've been trying to get the teachers to consider the level of
      linguistic complexity and storyline since incoming freshmen are watching the
      same films (with closed captions) as third year students. I tried to find a
      list like what Julian provided through the Association for Teaching English
      through Film (ATEM), but I didn't have any luck. I then went to a Japanese
      company called Screenlplay, they take screenplays and record them on to CDs
      at a studio in Nagoya. The nice thing is that they have a website (in
      Japanese) that provides a list of ratings for the films they offer as books
      for listening along to as you read. Anyway, a couple of recent films I would
      add to the list Julian provided would be Pay it Forward, Stuart Little, City
      of Angels, Dave, and Mannequin. These are on the Screenplay list as beginner
      level. We included Pay it Forward last year at Chukyo, and it got rave
      reviews. An old classic that was warmly received at Chukyo was The Wizard of
      Oz. By the way, we break the movies down into 3 or 4 segments that are shown
      each week at different times in the language lab. We also make movie viewing
      guides for the films that are supposed to assist the students with
      comprehension more than test them on it... I'm rambling. I'd love to hear
      any more on grading of films, TV dramas, etc. Thanks,

      Mathew White
      303, 60-2 Tanada
      Wakabayashi Higashimachi
      Toyota 473-0914 Japan

      For JALT Nagoya homepage, click:
      http://www.homestead.com/JALTNagoya/JapanAssociationLanguageTeaching.html

    • Charles Jannuzzi <b_rieux@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2003
        >Screenlplay, they take screenplays and record them on to CDs
        > at a studio in Nagoya. The nice thing is that they have a website
        (in
        > Japanese) that provides a list of ratings for the films they offer
        as books
        > for listening along to as you read.

        This tends to be rated on how much language is spoken and how it is
        delivered, rather than vocabulary difficulty. Consider, the Matrix
        comes in at the lowest level of difficulty, but it has a considerable
        amount of difficult vocabulary. However, it has quite a bit less
        spoken dialogue than, say, Field of Dreams.

        Screenplay does rate the levels now for various criteria, but my
        point is that this can be somewhat misleading. I know none of my
        students could dive into the language of the Matrix as is. But with
        the bilingual screenplay book, the proper amount of extensive reading
        before watching or listening, and they can follow a lot of the spoken
        dialogue. Plus the long gaps between people speaking is less of a
        burden while watching. And as it happens, the entire cast speak in
        very easily understood accents--Laurence Fishburn, Keanu Reeves,
        Carrie Anne Moss, and that guy who plays the Evil Agent Smith (as
        well as the elf king in Lord of the Rings). They all speak very
        clearly--though I guess histrionic voices aren't the only thing
        students need to get used to.

        C. Jannuzi