Re: [ExtensiveReading] Bar code based system for library management?

  • hudson murrell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
      Ken
      Maybe Primasoft was the name of the company, if that helps.
      Hudson

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
        Ken,
        I presented a short talk on barcode readers/software at an ER conference in Sapporo. I can send you a list of resources you can check out. A lot depends on your budget.

        I am using a good system called ResourceMate by Jaywil company in Guelph, Canada. A bit costly (US$1,000 or so), but good customer support via email, and for the past 2 years or so I have had very little trouble using it. Extremely easy to set up and to train yourself (or Japanese student workers like mine). Feel free to contact me off line for any more info.

        Daniel Stewart wrote an article on how he set up his own barcode system using FilePro, I believe. Too hard to set up for my taste, but he's another resource if you want to shop around.

        Glenski

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
          Hi Ken,

          We looked into bar code readers a few years ago as part of a home-made system (made by our IT department). We didn't pursue it at the time, but the system uses book ISBNs, so it should be fairly easy to add a bar code reader to this.

          Since then we have moved most of our books to the library. (I think we were losing more than 20% of our books each year.)

          Another possibility which we are considering is to get ALL our remaining classroom books registered by the library, then virtually turn the classroom into a library annex, and use a bar code reader from their system.

          This could actually be a lot more flexible, as we would be able to put any combination of books from the library onto a book truck, rather than just being limited to our own selection.

          I'm not sure yet of the logistics of this, but our experience with the library is that they are very supportive.

          Mark

          --

          Mark Brierley
          School of General Education

          --

          My blog about building a plus-energy house in Japan:
          http://minuszeroeco.blogspot.com/

        • Glen Hill
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2012
            Ken and Mark,
            Yes, books already come with bar codes on them, but I think that they do not differ when it comes to multiple copies of the same book. Daniel can correct me on this. If I'm right, you will not be able to track individual copies of a book unless you affix your own bar code labels.

            I have heard people report the loss of 10-15% of library books in general around the world. It is sadly unavoidable, and all we can do is minimize the loss whether through theft, forgetfulness, damage, etc. One thing I would suggest is to hold off on giving a course grade until a student has returned all of the books they have borrowed. Making that clear seems to have helped me a bit with that problem, even though you may have to remind students when it comes to grade time. ("Gee, teacher, why didn't I get a grade?"  "Well, you didn't remember the rule to return all of your books, which I gave you in writing at the beginning of the semester!")

            Whether you or your library controls the books, someone will eventually have to make the effort to contact students about overdue books. It is a fact of life. At my uni library, one person is in charge of phoning the students' parents to get their attention! I have not had to resort to that level with my own graded reader library, but I have gotten success in mailing a self-addressed stamped envelope to some students so they could return it by mail, and it certainly helps to get their advisors involved (although even they are not 100% effective).

            Nobody tells you these sorts of things when you study for your degree, do they?  :)

            Glenski

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2012
              Hi Glen,

              Yes, the bar code already on the book is just the ISBN, so it will be the same if you have multiple copies of the same book. This should still tell you that Student X has a copy of book Y. It should still work though, as your main concern is not which one of your five copies of Tom Sawyer the student borrowed, but whether he returned it or not.

              I remember at the end of the first semester we had handed our books over to the library, a rather furtive librarian complaining about the huge number of unreturned books there were. I asked how many, and I think the answer was 20 or 30. The previous year we had lost two or three thousand books from our class libraries. Literally a hundred times more.

              The big difference is that for librarians, getting books back is a major part of the job. For teachers, it is not. Especially, in my bitter experience, if it is teachers involved in a curriculum-wide ER programme.

              I strongly believe that some of the teachers were trying to get students to take as many books as they could, and never bring them back.

              Trying to look at this positively, so much of the ER teacher's effort goes into getting students to take books away and read them, that we feel almost guilty trying to get the books back.

              It's such a relief having our books in the library and having the professionals deal with this!

              Mark

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                --- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brierley <mark2@...> wrote:

                > Hi Glen,
                >
                > Yes, the bar code already on the book is just the ISBN, so it will be the
                > same if you have multiple copies of the same book. This should still tell
                > you that Student X has a copy of book Y. It should still work though, as
                > your main concern is not which one of your five copies of Tom Sawyer the
                > student borrowed, but whether he returned it or not.

                Mark,
                If Takashi, Mari, and Akiko have each borrowed a copy of Tom Sawyer (you have at least 3 copies in your library), but you are trying to determine which student has not returned the one that is still outstanding, a bar code reader will not tell you the person if you are using the bar code that is originally on the book. It will only tell you that one copy is out.

                If any of those students lies or has given their copy to a friend that forgot to return it, or something else happened, you will still not know.

                > The big difference is that for librarians, getting books back is a major
                > part of the job. For teachers, it is not. Especially, in my bitter
                > experience, if it is teachers involved in a curriculum-wide ER programme.

                Absolutely! It's becoming a headache of mine, but thankfully the vice-president of my uni is our resource center director, and we have gotten his support on contacting students to get books back.

                What has become a chore is that we have poor records from a handwritten notebook checkout system from 2 years ago. Anything there I have considered long-gone and irretrievable. I was therefore shocked when a couple of weeks ago a student sheepishly returned a book from two and a half years ago! Obviously, someone had gotten to him.

                Another thorn in my side is how to contact the students.
                1) They change their email addresses.
                2) They use such high security on some cell phone email systems that they block everyone except their best friends.
                3) They change their phone numbers.

                And, they never tell anyone about this, not even the university! I've gone around with Student Services on this, and neither they nor the main library has a complete list of current phone numbers or email addresses, hence the need to call a student's parents sometimes.

                > I strongly believe that some of the teachers were trying to get students to
                > take as many books as they could, and never bring them back.

                This is where making a rule that "no returned books = no grade" will help.

                > Trying to look at this positively, so much of the ER teacher's effort goes
                > into getting students to take books away and read them, that we feel almost
                > guilty trying to get the books back.

                Dispel those notions! Make the ***students*** the guilt-ridden ones! So many are incredibly immature and need a kick in the pants anyway.

                > It's such a relief having our books in the library and having the
                > professionals deal with this!

                Yes, Tom Robb has advocated this, and to a point I agree. However, how do you deal with knowing/not knowing which books are long gone and need to be replaced?

                Glenski
              • stewart_reading@mac.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Hi Ken,
                      As Glenski mentioned, I wrote an article on this a few years back.  It is in ERJ 2.1 and can be downloaded from

                  Technologies have changed since I wrote that article, but the issues you need to deal with are still the same so I think you will find some useful information there.

                  Daniel

                  On Dec 30, 2011, at 9:59 PM, kenschmidtjp wrote:

[...]

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)