ERF World Congress

  • Rob Waring
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2011
      Hello all,

      Well if you didn't make it to the congress, boy did you miss out!!!!!!  It was a totally awesome conference.  There were 160 presentations on ER with plenaries by David Hill of EPER and Bill Grabe from the US. The energy and excitement in everyone was just fantastic.

      If any of you did go, please share your thoughts on the presentations and the Congress over all.

      If you presented, please keep your powerpoint or handout so we can post it up on the ERF website. Tom will be making an upload page soon so those who didn't go can share.

      We took quite a lot of video and we'll try to get that up on the ERF YouTube channel asap. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheErfoundation?feature=mhee

      I'll be putting up some pictures on the ERF Facebook page soon and more on the ERF website too.  If you have some pix or video, please let me know about it and we'll find a way to get it to me and we'll get it up on the ERF site as soon as we can.  Please DO NOT send the pictures etc.

      Thanks to the publishers for being there and supporting us.  We need your support and if any of you see them, please thank them for their contributions.

      There are lots of new ER projects in the pipeline and lots of willing helpers. I'll make some announcements soon.

      But….. give us a day's rest.

      Congratulations to all and thanks to Tom Robb and his team for getting this going and making things work flawlessly. Respect!

      Rob
      Skype: waring_robert

                    The First Extensive Reading World Congress
                        Kyoto Sangyo University, Kyoto, Japan
                      3-6 Sept 2011  http://erfoundation.org/erwc1

    • Glen Hill

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
              I have to say, the World Congress was definitely worth the trip, even in a typhoon. I think the mix of presentations ensured there would be something for everyone... basic "how to" presentations introducing what ER is and how it can be done, presentations on research projects and data of interest to people further along in the field, the occassional call for us to rethink basic assumptions and widely accepted ideas (e.g. David Hill's keynote address), and plenty of opportunities to hear speakers who have been at the forefront of ER for many years. A big thank you to all the people who helped make it happen.

              One thing that was of interest to me personally was the issue of texts and student self-selection. Some congress-goers (presenters and participants alike) seemed to be working from an assumption that students must (or at least a strong should) self-select reading materials to call it ER. I remember one presenter, though, who said he selects what his students read (or at least provides a list of titles that students choose from). My perception is that this issue of self-selection and student feelings about what they are reading is one that participants had varied ideas about. Personally, I try to allow students to self-select some things... but not everything. It also seems to me that enjoyment, while certainly desirable, is not the most critical element in fluency-focused work.

              There were a couple of things I'd put on a wish-list for a future ERWC. I would suggest that the poster sessions go a bit longer, as I didn't have the chance to see them at all (I attended the single session running concurrently with the posters, the panel discussion, which ran all the way through the poster time... my own fault, but even so, if you wanted to see more than a couple of posters, 30 minutes would probably be too little time assuming you had questions about the presenter's work).

              The other thing I'd like to see is a bit more on EL. This event seemed a perfect place for at least a few people to bring it up, but hardly anyone seemed to talk about it. In the final panel discussion, I think it might have been Mr. Grabe who said, "the low hanging frut" of research into ER is gone. It seems to me that hardly anyone has touched the low hanging fruit of EL... plenty of opportunity and important work to be done in this area, so I'm hoping to hear more about what people are doing with fluency-focused listening.

              On a related note, Rob Waring also kindly moderates the YahooGroup for EL, but for some time now the list has been inactive. (I'm mainly a lurker on both lists, so I can't complain...) It would be nice to see people sharing ideas and questions on the EL list, too! Please think about joining up if you haven't yet.

              Stephen Shrader

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011

                If you would like to get a publication out of your attending the ERWC, please consider writing a conference review for the OnCUE Journal. Details can be found at the CUE homepage:
                http://jaltcue-sig.org/node/160
                Specific details on format for such an article can be obtained from me or the section editor.

                My apologies if this brash advertising violates forum policy.

                Glenski
              • Akio FURUKAWA
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Dear Sisamat,

                  > One thing that was of interest to me personally was the issue of
                  texts and student self-selection. Some congress-goers (presenters and
                  participants alike) seemed to be working from an assumption that
                  students must (or at least a strong should) self-select reading
                  materials to call it ER. I remember one presenter, though, who said he
                  selects what his students read (or at least provides a list of titles
                  that students choose from). My perception is that this issue of
                  self-selection and student feelings about what they are reading is one
                  that participants had varied ideas about. Personally, I try to allow
                  students to self-select some things... but not everything. It also seems
                  to me that enjoyment, while certainly desirable, is not the most
                  critical element in fluency-focused work.

                  My opinion is that the teachers should select the books for their students.

                  My style is like these:

                  1) When a student finishes reading a book or quit reading a book in class,
                  I ask him/her if it is interesting or not, and if the
                  book is the one I had read, I tell him/her my comment about the book.
                  After that, I ask the student what book he/she want to read.

                  2) If he/she wants a book with the same level and the same theme,
                  I hand him/her several books with the same level and the same theme,
                  telling him/her what books they are.
                  and he/she select one or more of them.

                  3) If he/she wants a book with the same level but different theme,
                  I hand him/her several books with the same level and the different theme,
                  telling him/her why I choose these books for him/her.
                  and he/she select one or more of them.

                  3) If he/she wants a books with the higher level and the same theme,
                  I hand him/her several books with high level and the same theme.
                  telling him/her what books they are.
                  and he/she select one or more of them.

                  4) If he/she wants a books with lower level,
                  I hand him/her several books with lower level ,
                  telling him/her what books they are.
                  and he/she select one or more of them.

                  In this style, we have four merits.
                  1) students choose only from books with appropriate level.
                  2) teachers can choose different type books for each student so that
                  one of the shelves do not go empty.
                  (Our students read 5-10 books per week at home,
                  and our class library is used by 5-7 classes per week,
                  if all of our students rent the same type of books,
                  all the books on the shelves go empty in a week)
                  3) Teachers can share the comment and exactly know what books
                  they are reading and what their favorite are.
                  4) Though choosing books for students, teachers grasp
                  their favorite. Within a half year, teachers can select
                  the right books for each student.
                  (In my experience, It takes at least two months to choose the right
                  books for each student.)

                  > The other thing I'd like to see is a bit more on EL. This event
                  seemed a perfect place for at least a few people to bring it up, but
                  hardly anyone seemed to talk about it. In the final panel discussion, I
                  think it might have been Mr. Grabe who said, "the low hanging frut" of
                  research into ER is gone. It seems to me that hardly anyone has touched
                  the low hanging fruit of EL... plenty of opportunity and important work
                  to be done in this area, so I'm hoping to hear more about what people
                  are doing with fluency-focused listening.

                  EL is very popular among SSS people in Japan.
                  Even the magazine for EL&ER are published every two month from Cosmopier
                  Pulbishing.

                  As for listening, our students love to listen to CDs while reading a book.
                  7th graders enjoy listening CDs while reading Oxford Domino series
                  Starter and Stage 1,
                  and 11th graders enjoy listening CDs while reading ERAGON or HARRY POTTER.

                  I am not good at writing in English, so if you would like to know more
                  about our style of
                  teaching English through ER and EL, please come to Tokyo and observe our
                  classes.

                  FURUKAWA, Akio
                  SSS ER Study Group
                  SEG ER Program

                  --
                  --------------------------------
                  古川 昭夫 fakio@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
                    Dear Furukawa Sensei,

                    Thank you for sharing what you are doing both in terms of self-selection, and with EL. I found the Cosmopier homepage, so I'll have a look to see what the magazine has on listening.

                    Apologies in advance for any typos, I'm typing with my toddler on my lap.

                    Your way of providing a range of selections for your students means you really get to know their likes and dislikes as readers. That's one very nice way to communicate with them as they participate in the course.

                    I tend to have students self-select when they work with graded readers, but carefully explain why we are doing it and how they should be selecting multiple times during the term (some students either forget or don't quite get it on the first explanation). I will strongly recommend a particular title, though, if I think it's one the student will enjoy, might not notice without my intervention, or will find useful for some reason content-wise.

                    On the other hand, I do sometimes teach courses where I am tying some of the graded readers in to a larger course theme, and in this case I select titles for the students.

                    For EL I use different materials depending on the class, but I always try to include unscripted conversations as one of the things we use for practice. My students use listenings available with the graded readers, as well as other materials which depend on their level. ELLLO is a nice resource, though, and I tend to have my students use it a lot.

                    Thank you again for your detailed response! I enjoyed your presentation at the ERWC (I was the guy who showed up when you were getting ready during the lunch time).

                    Sincerely,
                    Stephen Shrader