Re: [ExtensiveReading] The ERF Guide to ER

  • Lemmer Richard
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
      Thanks, Rob. Excellent material for everyone involved in ER or those considering it. Also good for helping those in decision making positions to come to an informed choice regarding ER programs.

      One suggestion, if I may, is to make the links on the last page of the PDF active so readers can just click to visit the sites.

      Richard

      On 8/29/11 10:25 PM, Rob Waring wrote:

      Hello all,

      The Extensive Reading Foundation is pleased to announce the "Extensive Reading Foundation's Guide to Extensive Reading".

      The guide introduces Extensive Reading and :
      • explains what ER is
      • explains why it is so vital to language learning
      • explains what graded readers are
      • shows how to set up and manage an Extensive Reading program
      • shows how it complements intensive reading
      • explains how to assess and evaluate the reading
      • illustrates how some graded reader series complement each other
      • introduces the ERF Graded Reading Scale
      • shows how to do Extensive Listening
                ….. and much much more

      Paper copies of the guide will be available ONLY at the conference this weekend.

      This guide is free to download and can be distributed freely but only in the full PDF form as distributed. Individual users are permitted to print copies for their own use.  Copyright of the full guide remains with the ERF. The guide may not be used for any commercial gain whatsoever.

      We hope to offer local language versions at some point in the future. Any individuals willing to volunteer do the translation please contact me.

      The Extensive Reading Foundation wish to extend their thanks to the following publishers who contributed to the costs of designing the Guide without favor; Cambridge University Press, Heinle Cengage, Macmillan Educational, Oxford University Press and Pearson / Penguin.

      Dr Rob Waring
      Executive Board
      The Extensive Reading Foundation

      www.erfoundation.org

      Skype: waring_robert
      http://www.robwaring.org/er/index.html

                    The First Extensive Reading World Congress
                        Kyoto Sangyo University, Kyoto, Japan
                      3-6 Sept 2011  http://erfoundation.org/erwc1

    • Jeremy Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2011

        I found this article interesting even though it is about native speakers.

        http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/reading-at-home-is-key-to-success-for-children-609168.html

        Jeremy

        Jeremy Taylor
        Freelance Writer, Teacher Trainer