Re: The ERF Guide to ER

  • kenschmidtjp
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
      Thanks Rob,

      Looks like a great resource. Very handy for passing along to colleagues and full of info and ideas.

      Best,

      Ken Schmidt

      --- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, Rob Waring <waring_robert@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > The Extensive Reading Foundation is pleased to announce the "Extensive Reading Foundation's Guide to Extensive Reading".

    • Lemmer Richard
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
        Thanks, Rob. Excellent material for everyone involved in ER or those considering it. Also good for helping those in decision making positions to come to an informed choice regarding ER programs.

        One suggestion, if I may, is to make the links on the last page of the PDF active so readers can just click to visit the sites.

        Richard

        On 8/29/11 10:25 PM, Rob Waring wrote:

        Hello all,

        The Extensive Reading Foundation is pleased to announce the "Extensive Reading Foundation's Guide to Extensive Reading".

        The guide introduces Extensive Reading and :
        • explains what ER is
        • explains why it is so vital to language learning
        • explains what graded readers are
        • shows how to set up and manage an Extensive Reading program
        • shows how it complements intensive reading
        • explains how to assess and evaluate the reading
        • illustrates how some graded reader series complement each other
        • introduces the ERF Graded Reading Scale
        • shows how to do Extensive Listening
                  ….. and much much more

        Paper copies of the guide will be available ONLY at the conference this weekend.

        This guide is free to download and can be distributed freely but only in the full PDF form as distributed. Individual users are permitted to print copies for their own use.  Copyright of the full guide remains with the ERF. The guide may not be used for any commercial gain whatsoever.

        We hope to offer local language versions at some point in the future. Any individuals willing to volunteer do the translation please contact me.

        The Extensive Reading Foundation wish to extend their thanks to the following publishers who contributed to the costs of designing the Guide without favor; Cambridge University Press, Heinle Cengage, Macmillan Educational, Oxford University Press and Pearson / Penguin.

        Dr Rob Waring
        Executive Board
        The Extensive Reading Foundation

        www.erfoundation.org

        Skype: waring_robert
        http://www.robwaring.org/er/index.html

                      The First Extensive Reading World Congress
                          Kyoto Sangyo University, Kyoto, Japan
                        3-6 Sept 2011  http://erfoundation.org/erwc1

      • Jeremy Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13 10:13 PM

          I found this article interesting even though it is about native speakers.

          http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/reading-at-home-is-key-to-success-for-children-609168.html

          Jeremy

          Jeremy Taylor
          Freelance Writer, Teacher Trainer