ER online resources in Japanese/help planning website

  • Ben Shearon
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
      Hi everyone

      Just managed to convince our library that we need an ER section on their website. Sadly I have to write it, but this is a huge win for our embryonic program.

      I would like to ask you for input and existing resources. So far I am planning on covering the following:

      what is ER
      benefits of ER
      ways to use our readers
      links to other resources

      Anything else I should include?

      I would also be extremely grateful for links to online ER information in Japanese.

      All the best

      ==========
      Ben Shearon
      ==========

    • Ben Shearon
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
        Hi Jeremy

        That's an interesting idea, but it's not the kind of thing we're looking for right now. All we need at the moment is information pages that will be hosted on the university library website. I'll be writing them in Japanese and the library staff will proofread and polish them for me. Programming is beyond us at the moment!

        The target audience is students, staff, and members of the public, and the goal is to inform them of the existence of our graded reader collection, as well as give them some advice on how to use it. I am particularly looking for online information in Japanese we can link to.

        Nothing too ambitious to start with. This is a first step for an institution that has not had any ER programs or resources in the past.

        We're also developing resources for students that will be doing ER as part of their English course, and those will be more in depth and interactive.

        All the best

        ==========
        Ben Shearon
        ==========

        On 5 August 2011 13:57, Jeremy Taylor <jeremytaylorwriter@...> wrote:

        Hi Ben,

           I don’t know how good your programming skills are but I think it would be good to have a book selection page.

        1. How good is your English? Beginner, Elementary, Pre Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced

        (Student clicks on appropriate level)

        2. What kind of stories do you like to read?

        Romance, comedy, thriller, history, science fact, science fiction etc.

        (Student makes choice and is presented with the covers of the suitable titles in their chosen genre at their level).

        If you don’t know it already, Jamie Keddie’s excellent website, Lesson Stream, does a similar thing with lesson types: http://lessonstream.org/browse-lessons/

        Jeremy

        Jeremy Taylor
        Freelance Writer, Teacher Trainer
        http://www.jeremytaylor.eu

        Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MrWriteCzech

        e.book sample: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28618

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
              Hi Ben,

              There are a few bits and bobs on my blog that might be useful... I discuss how I/my learners use the readers...there are links to videos including a recent talk I gave for the British Council, and a talk by Philip Prowse. There are also written-up interviews with authors Sue Leather and Jeremy Harmer on ER as well as Philip Prowse (more on the way!)...

              www.jezuden.edublogs.org

              Hope this helps

              Jez

              To: ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                  Hi everyone

                  Just to clarify, I need to make a resource that the library will host. It is aimed at students and members of the public who may be interested in doing ER by themselves (not within a class). I am planning to include a basic explanation of ER, some advice, and links to other resources (mainly in Japanese).

                  All the best

                  ==========
                  Ben Shearon
                  ==========

                  To: ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Hi Ben,

                    This is an old page with some brief, bilingual info related to our ER corner at TFU's library.

                    <http://www.geocities.com/kjschjp/eng_learn_res/er/er.html>

                    Just in case it helps,

                    Ken

                    --- In ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com, Ben Shearon <sendaiben@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone
                    >
                    > Just managed to convince our library that we need an ER section on their
                    > website. Sadly I have to write it, but this is a huge win for our embryonic
                    > program.
                    >
                    > I would like to ask you for input and existing resources. So far I am
                    > planning on covering the following:
                    >
                    > what is ER
                    > benefits of ER
                    > ways to use our readers
                    > links to other resources
                    >
                    > Anything else I should include?
                    >
                    > I would also be extremely grateful for links to online ER information in
                    > Japanese.
                    >
                    > All the best
                    >
                    > ==========
                    > Ben Shearon
                    > sendaiben.org
                    > ==========
                  • Ken Smith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                      Ben,

                      How about this from Beniko Mason; someone who has been involved with "ER" in Japan for YEARS.
                      http://www.benikomason.net/students/ (scroll down - all in Japanese)

                      The following are three studies written in Japanese.
                      http://www.benikomason.net/index.html
                      Ikeda and Mason and Mason and Pendergast (2nd and 3rd from bottom) are written in Japanese.

                      Comprehension is the Key to Successful English Language Education Reform (In Japanese)

                      Ken Smith
                      Kaohsiung, Taiwan

                      From: sendaiben@...
                      Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:57:24 +0900

                      e.book sample: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28618%c2%a0

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                        Hi Ben ,
                         I have a YouTube site "ReadSpeak" which has about 350 graded videos for listening,speaking and reading. There are instructions  on how to use it there,too. Any comments are welcome
                        Regards,
                        John Callahan
                        ReadSpeak Training.

                        To: extensivereading@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
                            Our library website just went live. Thanks for all the suggestions, and feel free to comment on it. Bear in mind it's the first step towards my goal of being in charge of a multi-million dollar language centre ;)

                            Baby steps.

                            All the best

                            Ben Shearon