RE: [ExtensiveReading] Digest Number 118

  • Rory Rosszell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      I am shocked and saddened to hear the news about David Eskey. I attended
      his workshop in Tokyo as well as one at TESOL 2 years ago in Vancouver. I
      really appreciated both his well researched, often practical, and
      level-headed articles, as well as the numerous lively discussions we had.

      He will no doubt be missed by many.

      Rory Rosszell

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:19:36 +0900
      From: Julian Bamford <bamford@...>
      Subject: David Eskey

      Some of you will already have heard: Professor David Eskey of the
      University of Southern California died suddenly this month. His major
      academic interest was reading, and his was one of the earliest (see his
      1973 entry in the ER bibliography:
      http://www.extensivereading.net/er/biblio.html and most consistent voices
      for the crucial place that extensive reading must play in foreign and
      second language reading instruction. His influence in this regard has been
      inestimable. I was lucky enough to attend a workshop of his a couple of
      years ago at Temple University in Tokyo, and he was as inspiring a teacher
      as he was a writer. His article "Reading and the teaching of L2 reading."
      in the Spring 2002 Tesol Journal (Vol, 11, No. 1, pp. 5-9) well-summarizes
      his thinking.
      Tom Robb passed on the following announcement from one of his
      colleagues, so I'll add it here.
      Julian
      On Saturday, October 19, while watching a USC football game, Dave
      suffered a heart attack. He passed away a short while later.

      On November 7, at the USC Chapel, there will be a memorial service. The
      family asks, in lieu of flowers, that donations be made to the
      Neighborhood Program at USC.

      CATESOL will honor Dave at the 2003 Reading Colloquium that he was
      scheduled to chair.