intentional or incidental learning??!!

  • Hassan Alshamrani
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2002

      Dear ER colleagues,

      I am conducting a study about the beliefs and attitudes of second language students regarding vocabulary learning through extensive reading. The research methods I am suing are qualitative, including interviews, documents and email follow-ups. I have found out that students tend to underline or highlight the unknown words while reading as the first step most of them would do. Then they may either try to guess from context or look up words in a monolingual dictionary or a bilingual one. In other words, students intentionally tend to focus on the unknown words, especially the important or key words, and try to know their meanings. They are conscious about their learning process. Moreover, looking at the books they have read I have found out that students do write the meanings of the unknown words right above them on the page where they appear.

      In general, students believe that they have learned many new words through their extensive reading, but of course, with some EFFORTS such as underlining the new words, trying to guess their meanings, looking them up in a dictionary and sometimes recording the new words in their notebooks. In this case, can I claim as a researcher that vocabulary learning of these students is intentional rather than incidental? Can we still say that their vocabulary learning is incidental despite the fact that they do use dictionaries and record the new words…etc?

       I am just confused. Any explanation of this issue will be highly appreciated.

      Thanks for your cooperation

      Hassan