Re: [ExtensiveReading] Google reading level filters

  • Warren Ediger
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2010
    A couple of problems: (1) the text analysis used does not relate to any of the known measures of readability -  “The feature is based primarily on statistical models we built with the help of teachers. We paid teachers to classify pages for different reading levels, and then took their classifications to build a statistical model. With this model, we can compare the words on any webpage with the words in the model to classify reading levels. We also use data from Google Scholar, since most of the articles in Scholar are advanced (e-mail from Dr. Jeff McQuillan).”

    (2) What does it mean to be told that a particular piece of text or site is 13% Basic, 67% Intermediate, and 20% advanced?

    FWIW, I've attached a document that contains some quick (and very dirty!) comparisons I made last week - discussion notes - as part of my conversation w/Jeff about the readability filter. It includes the results of site:URL searches of several web sites using the Google readability filter and Flesch-Kincaid statistics and a word frequency analysis of one article or document from each site. It is only a first pass (and nothing more) at trying to identify some correlation between the Google results and known readability measures.

    Warren Ediger