Re: [ExtensiveReading] Re: Getting students to want to read.

  • Glen Hill
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 7, 2010
      Marc,
      I have been considering adding English manga to my own English library.  However, I can't seem to find anything that I feel is suitable for 2 reasons.

      1) Things like One Piece have some pretty horrible language in it. There is one character, for example, who speaks with an accent (French?), and I wouldn't want my students mixing that sort of jumbled English with what they should learn.
      2) Many of the others have the Japanese on the same page, so I don't think the students would necessarily even read the English, and therefore all I would be doing is providing them with free J comics.

      Have you found any that have suitable English and English-only pages?  If you have comics that are bilingual, how do you get the students to read only the English (or at least read the English at all)?

      Glenski

      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Marc Helgesen <march@...> wrote:

      Rob wrote:
      I get a lot of pleasure from reading emails, blogs, comics, news
      reports, Time magazine, in flight magazine etc. I guess kids read
      much more than they used to - they spend half the time looking at the
      phones.

      ---------------------
      Along the same line of thinking, I added a shelf of manga (in
      English) to our ER section of the school library. Very popular,
      especially with kids who aren't excited about the other books. (I
      don't want to make that sound too narrow. A lot of students who do
      read lots of different types of books also like manga. I'm just
      saying that manga often reaches the group of students that more
      traditional "literature" doesn't.

      Some manga is available online at http://shonenjump.viz.com/ and
      http://www.shojobeat.com/manga/56.php

      Also, following a suggestion from Eleanor Kane at last summer's ER
      SIG conference in Hokkaido, we've added a 12-15 minute SSR time to
      the beginning of each reading class. So far the feedback from the
      students is very positive.

      Marc

      --
      Marc Helgesen
      Professor

    • Mark Brierley
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 8, 2010
        On the subject of computers and how much people read, and something statistical rather than anecdotal, this was posted to the ER Facebook page almost a year ago.

        Apparently the average American consumes 100,000 words per day, much through computers.

        Something else numerical. I recently helped with the (Japanese to English) translation of a computer game of over 5 million characters. Much of this was repeated (different characters in the game saying the same thing) although repetition is something we agree with as ER proponents. The game was based on historical events and characters. Are games literature? Certainly games are motivating!

        Mark

        Rob wrote:
[...]

        School of General Education
        Shinshu University