Shit! Go to hell!

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010

      Fuck! God damn it! Son-of-a-bitch!

      Sometimes I think pushing Extensive Reading is too artificial. It might have been great 10, 20 or 30 years ago. But today, there is a massive reluctance towards reading that we are trying to overcome. Of course, today we have E-Books and Harry Potter. But still it’s challenging trying to figure out how to give them the “reading bug” or get them “hooked on books”.

      Maybe there is an easier way.

      Why don’t we shift our focus onto movies, films, TV shows? There are a lot of advantages. One thing is that they are more appealing. Few students really enjoy reading but nearly all students love movies or watching TV.

      Students can learn English from movies. All of my students know these words: Shit! Go to hell! Fuck! God damn it! Son-of-a-bitch!

      How did they learn them?

      When I ask them where they learned that language, they tell me from movies. They didn’t learn it from their teachers.

      When I point out that fact they are surprised and assured of the potential of learning from movies, TV or video.

      I think it would be a lot easier to get our students hooked on movies than hooked on books.

      Dave Kees