Japanese graded readers

  • brettetj
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      I suppose it will depend on the publisher to a certain extent, but
      I'm imagining about 500 yen per book. That's sort of off the top of
      my head. We don't have a contract with a publisher yet although there
      is interest.

      Why the ...?

      --- In ExtensiveReading@y..., James Swan <swan@d...> wrote:

      > Sounds great! I hope the finished product will be affordable by
      individuals . . . .

      Brett Reynolds
    • brettetj
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        No. It means that vocabulary will be graded, kanji will not. If a
        word appear in a book, and that word is usually written in kanji,
        then we will write it in kanji. ALL kanji will have furigana. 100%.
        In the past, books published in Japan used to be commonly printed
        like this.

        --- In ExtensiveReading@y..., "Rory Rosszell" <h-rossze@s...> wrote:
        > So does that mean that the amount of kanji at each level will be
        the same,
        > but the levels will be graded in terms of the amount of furigana
        which is
        > provided?

        Brett Reynolds
      • Shawn Ladbrook
        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2003
          Does anyone know if there are graded readers in Japanese?

          Shawn Ladbrook

          ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get larger attachments -
          send/receive up to 2MB attachments (up to 100 percent more per e-mail). Go
          to http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au
        • Brett Reynolds
          Message 4 of 14 , May 15, 2003
            There is no published series of Japanese graded readers. I am, however,
            (still) working with a group of Japanese teachers to establish such a
            series. We are moving forward, but (still) don't really have much that
            we can offer learners at this point.

            On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 10:23 PM, Shawn Ladbrook wrote:

            > Does anyone know if there are graded readers in Japanese?
            >
            > Shawn Ladbrook

            -----------------------
            Brett Reynolds
            Ontario, Canada
            brett@...
          • Richard Day
            Message 5 of 14 , May 15, 2003
              We have an extensive reading program in the second year Japanese course
              at the University of Hawaii. Because of the lack of language learner
              literature in Japanese, we use Japanese children's literature. We
              introduce the material by telling the students why they will be reading
              Japanese children's literature. While it is at the appropriate
              linguistic level--well within their reading comfort zones--it is not at
              the appropriate cognitive level. However, it does the job! There is
              some rather good material; we even have some English children's books
              which were translated into Japanese. Some of the students enjoyed
              reading books that they had read as children.
              Richard Day
            • Akio FURUKAWA
              Message 6 of 14 , May 15, 2003
                Dear Richard

                Some Japanense teachers made Graded Readers in Japanese.
                If you are intereted in GR in Japanese,
                please send a mail to acorn@....

                FURUKAWA Akio
                SSS Reading Study Group

                At 午前 10:11 03/05/16 +0900, you wrote:
                >We have an extensive reading program in the second year Japanese course
                >at the University of Hawaii. Because of the lack of language learner
                >literature in Japanese, we use Japanese children's literature. We
                >introduce the material by telling the students why they will be reading
                >Japanese children's literature. While it is at the appropriate
                >linguistic level--well within their reading comfort zones--it is not at
                >the appropriate cognitive level. However, it does the job! There is
                >some rather good material; we even have some English children's books
                >which were translated into Japanese. Some of the students enjoyed
                >reading books that they had read as children.
                >Richard Day

                Akio FURUKAWA
              • Clive Lovelock
                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2003
                  Shawn

                  I was recently sent some sample readers of Japanese folk tales for
                  foreign learners by Makiko Awano. Contact her at:

                  acorn@...

                  Clive

                  Shawn Ladbrook wrote:
                  > Does anyone know if there are graded readers in Japanese?
                  >
                  > Shawn Ladbrook

                • Clive Lovelock
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 16, 2003
                    Richard

                    Can you tell us where (if?) we can get our hands on any of this material?

                    Clive

                    Richard Day wrote:
                    > We have an extensive reading program in the second year Japanese course
                    > at the University of Hawaii. Because of the lack of language learner
                    > literature in Japanese, we use Japanese children's literature. We
                    > introduce the material by telling the students why they will be reading
                    > Japanese children's literature. While it is at the appropriate
                    > linguistic level--well within their reading comfort zones--it is not at
                    > the appropriate cognitive level. However, it does the job! There is
                    > some rather good material; we even have some English children's books
                    > which were translated into Japanese. Some of the students enjoyed
                    > reading books that they had read as children.
                    > Richard Day

                  • Richard R. Day
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 17, 2003
                      Hi Clive,
                      My colleague and I searched the appropriate bookstores in Honolulu and
                      found a lot of the material. New books are expensive; used books are
                      much cheaper. In addition, I bought about US$400 worth on a shopping
                      spree in Tokyo.
                      Does this help?
                      Richard

                      --
                      Richard R. Day, Ph.D.
                      Professor
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 19, 2003
                        Thanks for the info on Japanese readers, everyone.

                        Recently, I have personally been reading short stories by Shinichi Hoshi. I
                        like these, but I would think that as they are ungraded, they would be quite
                        high level. They aren't particularly easy.

                        Shawn Ladbrook

                        >Shawn
                        >
                        >I was recently sent some sample readers of Japanese folk tales for
                        >foreign learners by Makiko Awano. Contact her at:
                        >
                        >acorn@...
                        >
                        >Clive
                        >
                        >Shawn Ladbrook wrote:
                        > > Does anyone know if there are graded readers in Japanese?
                        > >
                        > > Shawn Ladbrook

                        ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups -
                        great for sharing photos and documents. Go to
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 20, 2003
                          Hi Richard

                          Sorry, I'll rephrase my impossibly vague query.

                          What I meant to say was did you find any particular publisher and or
                          series particularly suitable for this purpose? If so what is it / are
                          they? Presumably they're published in Japan?

                          Clive

                          Richard R. Day wrote:
                          > Hi Clive,
                          > My colleague and I searched the appropriate bookstores in Honolulu and
                          > found a lot of the material. New books are expensive; used books are
                          > much cheaper. In addition, I bought about US$400 worth on a shopping
                          > spree in Tokyo.
                          > Does this help?
                          > Richard
                          >
                          > --
                          > Richard R. Day, Ph.D.
                          > Professor
                          > Department of Second Language Studies
                          > University of Hawaii
                          > Co-Editor
                          > Reading in a Foreign Language
                          > nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl

                        • Richard R. Day
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 20, 2003
                            Hi Clive,
                            No, there are no particular series. But be advised that folktales are
                            difficult. Folktales really are not children's literature, even though
                            adults generally read them to children.
                            Aloha,
                            Richard