e book content

  • Jeremy Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2010

      I agree with Kieran that e.books have a future. I really don’t understand why they are so expensive. There are no extra costs to the publisher, no distribution costs, yet in many cases they are priced at higher than a hardback! I use the DTP software and am happy with it – though disappointed that the reader for the format (dnl reader) doesn’t work well on a Mac (in fact so badly that I wouldn’t recommend that Mac users even try it. I hope that this will change in the future and that it will be as simple as Acrobat Reader – which it is on PCs.

         What could e.books do for readers? The lowest price I can charge for readers is $5.95. Once this is paid, the book is unlocked on one computer and can be read (and listened to) a million times. So if the books are bought by schools/universities, they can have an online library of readers which the students can read with no added costs to the institution. I really like the idea of producing readers with sound files (which I piloted with my joke books for learning Spanish and French). I have almost finished a new reader aimed at the Chinese market which will have sound files for the entire text. Let me know if you’d like to see it – it should be ready next week.

         Jeremy

      Jeremy Taylor
      Freelance Writer, Teacher Trainer
      http://www.jeremytaylor.eu