Re: [ExtensiveReading] Digest Number 73

  • Rory Rosszell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      In the series I have looked into, the reading levels have been based on the
      Fry Readability Scale - which is a very crude and unreliable assessment
      based on word and sentence length. My feeling is that the grading done by
      people (not machines) for graded readers, despite its flaws, is a better and
      more reliable system

      Jamestown Publishers offer the following guideline for determining the
      appropriate level:

      Fry Level Eiken TOEIC TOEFL(CBT)
      10 1 860 250
      8-10 pre 1 730 213