LLL Awards 2009

  • Rob Waring
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi all

      Here is the list of the Language Learner Literature Awards  from the ER Foundation for 2009.  Congrats to all.

      http://www.erfoundation.org/erf/node/41

      Rob

      At 01:27 PM 9/1/2009, Ken Smith wrote:

      Dear Group,

      I know there are a number of terms that have been coined over the years that have had somewhat similar characteristics of extensive reading, such as SSR (sustained silent reading), FVR (free voluntary reading), USSR (uninterrupted sustained silent reading), but could anyone tell me who coined the following terms and when he/she did so?

      SURF (Silent Uninterrupted Reading for Fun). I've heard that it originated in Hawaii as someone was playing on the popularity of "surfing" there. But by whom? and when (decade?) was this term first coined?

      DEAR (Drop Everything And Read)
      Again looking for who coined the term and when?

      References would be nice,too,if anyone out there knows.

      Ken Smith
      Kaohsiung, Taiwan

      Cheers

      Rob

      waring_robert@...
      Skype: waring_robert

    • Mark Brierley
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2009
        Hi Ken,

        I don't know if this will help as a reference but Janice Pilgreen (in
        the SSR Handbook: How to organise and manage a sustained silent
        reading program, Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook, 2000) gives some
        background, talking about "the advent of Individualized Reading in the
        1950s and 1960s" and mentions FVR, SSR, USSR, SQUIRT, DEAR, HIP and
        more recently POWER and FRED (p. 1 and 2).

        Mark

        --
        Mark Brierley
        Language Education Centre
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
          Thanks Mark,

          I have the book in my bookbag right now, and I've read it a couple of times, but I think Pilgreen is referring to in-school free reading programs in general and all those acronyms that she is referring to and the one's people on this list have been writing about are just different catchy labels for what is common among them all: giving kids/students time for silent reading.

          By the way Rob,  the acronym POWER =  Positive Outcomes While Enjoying Reading, a term coined by junior high school kids from California.

          Still looking for a definitive answer on who originated DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) and when. Perhaps it IS Beverly Cleary as I've read in one of her books, Ramona Quimby, age 8, there is a page referring to DEAR although I've read Ramona prefers the term SSR. Maybe I should just see if I can contact the people running that DEAR Day website and see if they can give me an answer?

          Ken
          Kaohsiung, Taiwan

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
            Hi Ken,

            It seems like a good idea to contact the DEAR people from
            http://www.dropeverythingandread.com/ or you could even write to
            Beverly Cleary http://www.beverlycleary.com/beverlycleary/index.html.

            It probably was Beverly Cleary, although Ramona Quimby seems to be
            taking a lot of the credit! In terms of popularising DEAR, she
            probably deserves the credit. It's also a printed reference showing a
            date on or before which DEAR was established.

            One of the points Pilgreen makes is that it's important for students
            to make their own names for their reading programmes, so it may be
            very difficult to get a definitive answer!

            Mark