New book on ExtensiveReading

  • Rob Waring
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hi all

      Some of you may not be aware of a new book on ER editted by Andy Cirocki. The info is below.

      Unfortunately, it is quite hard to order as the main www.lincom.eu webpage is full of dead links that don't allow ordering or even searching for the book - and the webshop link is down!. The site says it is sold on Amazon.de at this link

      http://www.amazon.de/Extensive-Reading-English-Language-Teaching/dp/3929075660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250003005&sr=8-1

      but that's no good if you don't read German. It's not on Amazon.com either. It seems the only way to order it is directly via their email address   lincom.europa@.... How utterly frustrating.

      I _think_ the ordering information is here. It's 88 Euros.

      email: LINCOM.EUROPA@...
      fax: +49 89 62269404; +49 89 4444 99 00.
      postal address: LINCOM GmbH, Gmunder Str. 35, D-81379 Muenchen, Germany

      I hope they make the book more widely available. It's almost like they don't want people to buy it.

      Rob
      ----------------------------

      Cirocki, Andrzej (ed.)
      Extensive Reading in English Language Teaching
      LINCOM Studies in Second Language Teaching, Vol. 08

      2009/06
      LINCOM
      [ http://www.lincom-europa.com ]
      635 p.
      Paperback
      ISBN-10: 3-929075-66-0
      ISBN-13: 978-3-929075-66-3
      EUR 88,00 [D]
      inkl. USt.

      Contents

      This book presents a wide-ranging examination of extensive reading and its great role in increasing literacy and language development as well as fostering a positive attitude towards reading. The authors are first concerned with theoretical issues pertaining to reading English as a foreign or second language, showing how a theoretical model can be instrumental in helping teachers to encourage their students to learn to read. Then, the authors discuss the place and role of literature in language instruction at different levels, ranging from primary to university, where the term literature denotes both texts written for native speakers and graded texts designed for language learners. Suggestions are provided for integrating extensive reading into the curriculum, establishing a library, and selecting reading materials. The authors also present numerous benefits which can accrue from extensive reading, namely: improvements in learners’ general language proficiency, reading fluency, vocabulary acquisition, affective changes as well as developing communicative and (inter)cultural competences – a priority of the present-day EFL/ESL classroom. Finally, the text provides practical teaching tips, including extensive reading programme guidelines, lesson plans and activities. This innovative book will undoubtedly be a worthwhile reference source for teachers, teacher educators, and teacher trainees for years to come.

      Table of contents:

      Table of contents
      List of contributors
      Preface

      SECTION ONE
      DEVELOPING READING SKILLS IN A FOREIGN/SECOND LANGUAGE

      DIANA PULIDO
      Developing reading skills in a foreign/second language

      JOHN PAUL LOUCKY
      Enhancing skills essential for effective reading

      SECTION TWO
      PROMOTING LITERACY THROUGH EXTENSIVE READING

      ROB WARING
      The inescapable case for extensive reading

      DAVID R. HILL
      The place and role of graded readers in the EFL context (ER programmes)

      RONALD P. LEOW
      Simplified written input and its effects on L2 comprehension: What the research reveals

      LUCYNA ALEKSANDROWICZ-PEDICH
      What to read in extensive reading programmes: Teachers’ choices and recommendations in view of the concept of the literary canon

      ANDRZEJ CIROCKI
      The place and role of literary texts in language education: A historical overview

      MAYA KHEMLANI DAVID
      Moving beyond schema: Selecting texts for EFL readers

      ANA TABOADA NELE McELVANY
      Between the skill and will of extensive reading: L2 learners as engaged readers

      JOHN MACALISTER
      “But my programme’s too full already”: How to make A Good Think happen in the academic purposes classroom

      ROGER NUNN
      Integrating extensive reading into holistic task-based learning units

      HANDOYO WIDODO
      Implementing collaborative extensive reading in an EFL classroom

      GRETA GORSUCH ETSUO TAGUCHI
      Repeated reading and its role in an extensive reading programme

      EMILIA FUJIGAKI
      Extensive reading for weak readers: Developing reading fluency in the EFL/ESL context

      SUGENG ARIYANTO
      Encouraging extensive reading to improve academic literacy in the EFL class

      CHENJING YOU SHENGWEI CHEN
      Applying authentic materials to EFL extensive reading in senior high schools in China

      LARRY J. MIKULECKY
      Using Internet-based children’s and young adult literature for extensive reading in EFL instruction

      YONGAN WU
      Engaging advanced-level ESL students to read young adult literature in extensive reading settings

      ROGER NUNN
      Extensive reading of literary texts for advanced students: A contrapuntal approach to critical thinking

      DOREEN E. EWERT
      Making connections: Using literature for extensive reading

      SIVA SIVASUBRAMANIAM
      Anchoring literature in extensive reading programmes: Issues and insights for promoting intersubjectivity in the classroom

      MICHAEL JANOPOULOS
      Pleasure reading and writing in a second language: (How) Can we make the connection?

      ANA LADO
      Motivating beginners to read by conducting oral activities with picture books

      ATSUKO TAKASE
      The effects of different types of extensive reading materials on reading amount, attitude and motivation

      ALAN PULVERNESS
      Deprived of history: Literature and film in third places

      MAYA KHEMLANI DAVID
      FRANCISCO PERLAS DUMANIG
      Learning about cross-cultural encounters: Authentic texts in extensive reading (ER) programmes at university level

      SIVA SIVASUBRAMANIAM
      Extensive reading as semiotic mediation: A celebration of lived through experiences

      SECTION THREE
      THE EFFICACY OF EXTENSIVE READING: INSIGHTS FROM THE RESEARCH

      ANDRZEJ CIROCKI
      Implementing the ER approach to literature in the EFL secondary school classroom: An action research study

      ATSUKO TAKASE
      The effects of SSS on learners’ reading attitudes, motivation, and achievement: A quantitative study

      FANGLIN WU
      ZHILING WU
      Developing learner autonomy through extensive reading in the context of Chinese EFL colleges

      EMILIA FUJIGAKI
      Addressing students’ output in the extensive reading class: A qualitative study

      SECTION FOUR
      EXTENSIVE READING IN THE EFL/ESL CLASSROOM: TEACHING TIPS

      REIMA AL-JARF
      Promoting EFL secondary students extensive reading skills

      REIMA AL-JARF
      Teaching extensive reading to EFL secondary students online

      RAANA JILANI
      Reading development through reading for pleasure: A plan for EFL classes

      HANDOYO PUJI
      WIDODO RIRIN PUSPORINI
      Teaching content-based EFL extensive reading (ER)

      ANNE BURNS
      Reading for learning, learning for reading

      JAYAKARAN MUKUNDAN
      Extensive reading activity 1

      JAYAKARAN MUKUNDAN
      Extensive reading activity 2

      REFERENCES

      Cheers

      Rob

      waring_robert@...
      Skype: waring_robert

    • john_m_tennant
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 13, 2012
        Have you looked at the ERF Graded Reader List page? There is a supplemental list called "Non-ELT Leveled Readers" That list has a lot of data for the various series you mention. For example, Amelia Bedelia are on the H sheet because they are published by Harper Collins. However most of the data is probably the same as the Tadoku Book Guide.

        john