RE: [ExtensiveReading] Going "manic" [3 Attachments]

  • dk
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2009

      Thanks

      From: ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Grant Dykes
      Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:08 AM
      To: extensive reading yahoo
      Subject: RE: [ExtensiveReading] Going "manic" [3 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Grant Dykes included below]

      attached a few readers Macmillan and Oxford - can copy and put into a word file if u wish

      grant (HK)

      To: ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com
      From: davekees1@...
      Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 23:09:33 +0800
      Subject: RE: [ExtensiveReading] Going "manic"

      Recently, I showed the first five minutes of the movie “The Bodyguard” to a group of 40 students. The movie was in English with English subtitles. The students were intermediate level. I gave the students no instructions other than to let them watch the movie.

      At the end of the five minutes, I asked the students to write down the man’s job. His job, “bodyguard”, appeared six times during those five minutes. This is a word they were not previously aware of.

      Twenty-three students wrote “bodyguard”. Three wrote “boyguard”. None of the students remembered the name of the movie, “The Bodyguard”. I took this to mean that although they were exposed to the name at the very beginning, they didn’t remember it because it was their first exposure to the word, their initial introduction to the word, which did not make a strong impression.

      In advertising, they say that you have to see an advertisement six times before you remember it. Obviously, frequency is similarly important in vocabulary acquisition. There are two other factors, the amount of time between each encounter of the word plus the prominence of the word in the context. To get hit with the word six times in five minutes is quite a bit of exposure. Plus, it is the central character’s job so it is a very important fact. In short, this must be almost the ideal exposure to a vocabulary item and most of my students picked it up.

      Daniel, I see what you are getting at. It’s true, my contact with the word “manic” was over a period of years. In the contexts that it occurred, it was not a prominent word. If the frequency was increased and if the word was more prominent then would I have picked it up?

      Low level students will have a lot of exposure to very common words, especially if their reading is focused on graded readers. As students progress to higher levels of English they will encounter less frequently used words and, as would be expected, encounter them less frequently.

      But let’s look at it this way. The way the word “manic” appeared was natural. It was not presented in any contrived or artificial way. This word appears 15 million times on the Internet and 21 times on my computer (a couple samples below). Plus, no telling how many times I have encountered it in movies, articles, etc.

      Just when I thought I was getting Comprehensible Input figured out, it eludes me again.

      Dave Kees

      1.       But this manic notion passed quickly. There was no point in getting this harmless kid locked up—and, besides, I had plans for this car. (Fear and Loathing)

      2.       It was the start of summer, though and things in Brighton are a little manic at that stage. I am thinking about trying again - has anyone got any ideas?

      3.       With his courageous ideas and manic charisma, Keating inspires extraordinary -- almost cultish -- devotion among his followers. He is the kind of leader who changes young lives. (Part of a movie review that I cut and pasted and sent to some students.)

      4.       Luckily, the deinstitutionalization movement coincided with the development of anti-psychotic medication, which can help schizophrenics and manic depressives lead independent lives.