iPhone's killer app: E-books?

  • dk
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2009
      I think we're going to see more and more reports like this one below from
      Cnet. (I have an HTC Windows cell phone. I just finished listening to an
      audiobook of Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell on my
      phone.) - Dave Kees

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      iPhone's killer app: E-books?
      by Dave Rosenberg

      O'Reilly's Ben Lorica took a look (slides below) at the developers behind
      the most successful applications on the iPhone and found that electronic
      books may be the killer app, simply because there is a such of wealth of
      offerings.

      According to ReadWriteWeb, Apple's App Store features about 40,000 different
      apps. Based on recent data, game developers have on average, 2.3 apps in the
      store while typical e-book vendors have 18 apps, which obviously stacks the
      odds in their favor.

      What's interesting about this is that this news suggests that the iPhone
      really is a new breed of mini-computer in that people are using it for
      passive activities such as reading as well games and for interactive tasks
      such as e-mail.

      http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10231991-62.html
    • titus steyn
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2009
        how long before people can read Graded Readers on their mobile phones? (while listening to the audio at same time)

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

[...]

      • Beatriz Lupiano
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2009

          I have yet to try e-books, but I'm always glad to see an interest in reading regardless of its format.

          What really struck me was...did Dave R. really write "...passive activities such as reading..."?!

          Regards,
          Beatriz

          1a.

          iPhone's killer app: E-books?

          Posted by: "dk" davekees1@...   davkees

          Fri May 1, 2009 6:01 pm (PDT)

[...]

          Back to top
          Messages in this
        • Kieran Mcgovern
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2009
            I've been looking into this recently. The consensus seems to be that the new
            e-readers - particularly Kindle 2 and the Sony Reader - are developing to a
            point where they offer a genuinely pleasurable option for reading. Phones
            still have big limitations - screen size, back-lighting and so on - but they
            have the gigantic advantage that most potential e-readers already carry
            them. A large segment of the market doesn't want the fuss and complication
            of carrying an extra gadget (this gives the IPhone an edge over discreet MP3
            players, too).

            A good development is that we seem to moving towards a common standard -
            (e-pub).

            Kieran McGovern
            http://www.eslreading.org
          • dk
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2009
              It just sounds better and better. Books in 60 seconds? Carry a whole library
              under your arm and students have all of the college textbooks in it? Better
              and better.

              BBC: "Are we ready to say bye to books?

              "Amazon's vision is to allow user access to every book that has ever been
              printed, in any language, and all in less than 60 seconds. Titles already
              available include Irish classics such as Ulysses and the Narnia books, and
              the works of famous literary greats, Seamus Heaney, Oscar Wilde and George
              Bernard Shaw.

              "Without printing and shipping costs, books could be cheaper and struggling
              with your books would be a thing of the past. A whole term's worth of books
              could easily be stored in the device.

              "Kindle is the first to use wireless technology which enables users to buy
              and download books from a virtual store in 60 seconds."

              More:

              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8038079.stm
            • Philip Prowse
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                Hi all

                Eric Baber in his blog today has a rather different take on e-books
                from Dave - worth looking at I think.

                http://www.ericbaber.com/blog/index.php/2009/05/08/of_ebooks_and_ebook_readers

                Best

                Philip