Re: ER Quotes

  • gradedreading
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      I have this one from Julian and Richard at the top of the Extensive Reading page
      (http://www.eslreading.org/Teaching/Teaching/extensivereading.html) on my site:

      ... Reading is no different from other learned human abilities such as driving, cooking, playing
      golf, or riding a bicycle: the more you do it, the more fluent and skilful you become...'
    • Beth Pierce
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

        Can anyone point me in the right direction to find graded readers in French, or a site which focuses on extensive reading in French?  I just know it has to exist.  I really have tried to find such sites, and such lists.  Merci....French teacher in Mississippi...Beth Pierce

      • Smith Ken
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          Beth,

          Here are two I found:

          Check the left side of the website for Graded Readers. It lists GR's for different ages.

          This one looks like a "gold mine" for you.

          Best of Luck,

          Ken Smith
          Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
          Kaohsiung, Taiwan

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            Beth,

            Here's another one. Students in the French department at the college I teach at use this series. I forgot about this one...

            Ken

            Can anyone point me in the right direction to find graded readers in French, or a site which focuses on extensive reading in French?  I just know it has to exist.  I really have tried to find such sites, and such lists.  Merci....French teacher in Mississippi. ..Beth Pierce

          • Rosemary Schmid
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              Don't you love the Internet, where people in Taiwan and Mississippi USA can help each other out? There's our hope for the future.

              If you're a citizen of the USA, don't forget to vote!

              Rosemary

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                Thank you, thank you, thank you!  That is precisely what I was looking for!  Voila!  Thank you so much, Ken.  Beth Pierce

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

                  Here's another reading quote, (I like them, too) but I'm curious, what is the point of putting these all together into some sort of list, book or collection when there already is one?

                  Those who do not develop the pleasure reading habit simply don't have a chance - they will have a very difficult time reading and writing at a level high enough to deal with the demands of today's world. Reading enhances literacy development leading to an uncontroversial conclusion: Reading is good for you. Reading is the only way we become good readers, develop a good writing style, an adeqate vocabulary, advanced grammar, and the only way we become good spellers.

                    - Stephen Krashen -

                  From "Books and Reading: A Book of Quotations"
                  (Edited by Bill Bradfield, 2002)

                  http://www.amazon.com/Books-Reading-Quotations-Thrift-Editions/dp/0486424634/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

                  Ken Smith

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Dear Every one on the List,

                    Longman print the number of words of
                    each new title of Penguin Readers and Penguin Active Reading.
                    It is printed on the back cover of each book.

                    I appreciate the fact that Longman counted the words and gave
                    us the information, but I am afraid some of them seem incorrect.

                    Do not believe the word counts of the following titles:
                    SSS PEARSON Ratio SERIES Titles
                    11300 40840 3.61 PGR4 Macbeth
                    11000 20738 1.89 PGR3 Canterbury Tales, The
                    13000 23566 1.81 PGR3 Vanity Fair
                    19000 33680 1.77 PGR5 Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The
                    1200 2077 1.73 PGR1 Six Sketches
                    2600 4128 1.59 PGR2 Extreme Sports
                    6700 4514 0.67 PGR2 Ghost of Genny Castle, The
                    17000 11305 0.67 PGR4 Lorna Doone
                    18000 11768 0.65 PGR3 Thirty-Nine Steps, The
                    2500 1524 0.61 PGR1 Surfer!
                    30000 17176 0.57 PGR5 Rebecca
                    23000 12213 0.53 PGR3 David Copperfield
                    41000 17893 0.44 PGR4 Go-Between, The

                    I asked Longman to recount the numbers of the words.
                    I will post hte correct data when I get the information from Longman.
                    (Of course, I might be wrong. I am going to check my own data.)

                    Besr regards,

                    FURUKAWA Akio
                    SSS