VKR - SRT

  • Jeremy Taylor
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008
      I had never heard of VKR before but use something similar with my students. I give them a sheet on which there are 4 boxes:
      1. I haven't seen this word before but it is very similar to a word in my language.
      2. I haven't seen this word before but I can work out its meaning from context.
      3. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context but that doesn't affect my overall understanding of the text.
      4. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context and unfortunately that does affect my overall understanding of the text.

      I give students a page of text to work through and it is interesting to see how words initially put in box 4 then migrate to either boxes 2 or 3 later in the passage.

      Anyone tried anything similar?

      Jeremy Taylor, Brno, Czech Republic
      www.jeremytaylor.eu
    • Rob Waring
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008
        The problems I have with this is that it is  supposed to be linear when vocab knowledge is not linear.  You can have 'seen' the word before but still not 'work out the meaning'.  So receptive recognition (yes or no) is a state of knowledge which is different from 'I can / cannot work out the meaning'. Any of 4 combinations are  possible. Then add in 'affect my understanding of the text' as another (yes it does / no it doesn't) state and that ups the combinations of knowledge 'states' by 4 to 16 possible combinations, not the 4 you have

        And how do students answer if they have seen it before but are not sure of its meaning?

        People using knowledge scales need to have ONE knowledge source, not multiple ones e.g this only varies by the level of how well  the 'know the word's meaning'.

        1 I don't know the meaning
        2 I think I know the meaning but I'm not sure
        3 I'm fairly sure I know the meaning
        4 I'm very sure I know the meaning

        Using multiple kinds of knowledge ('seen' / 'know' / 'can use' / etc etc) in the rubric only confuses in my opinion.

        And how would you say a person's vocab has grown over these data times if we assign a score to it?

        word     time1     time2     time 3

        A         1         2         3
        B         2         3         3
        C         3         2         2
        D         1         1         1
        E         2         2         3
        F         3         3         3
        G         3         3         2
        H         1         3         2
        I         2         3         2
        J         1         1         3

        total     19        23        25
        mean      1.9       2.3       2.5

        Some words are better known, some go up and down and others down.  These are VERY typical data I have collected. And what does the mean mean? What does 2.3 mean? Nothing in reality and the real knowledge about a subject's vocabulary level is taken away by making nominal data ordinal. Note that states of knowledge are states and thus nominal data. You either know or don't. You can't add 4 oranges and 5 apples and call them 9 oranpples....

        And yes, they should be used for low stakes testing.

        Rob

        At 05:00 PM 9/26/2008, Jeremy Taylor wrote:

        I had never heard of VKR before but use something similar with my students. I give them a sheet on which there are 4 boxes:
        1. I haven't seen this word before but it is very similar to a word in my language.
        2. I haven't seen this word before but I can work out its meaning from context.
        3. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context but that doesn't affect my overall understanding of the text.
        4. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context and unfortunately that does affect my overall understanding of the text.

        I give students a page of text to work through and it is interesting to see how words initially put in box 4 then migrate to either boxes 2 or 3 later in the passage.

        Anyone tried anything similar?

        Jeremy Taylor, Brno, Czech Republic
        www.jeremytaylor.eu

        Cheers

        Rob

        waring_robert@...
        Skype: waring_robert

      • wusufang1219
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2008

          --- 08/9/26 (星期五),Jeremy Taylor <jeremytaylorwriter@...> 寫道:
          寄件者: Jeremy Taylor <jeremytaylorwriter@...>
          主旨: [ExtensiveReading] VKR - SRT
          收件者: ExtensiveReading@yahoogroups.com
          日期: 2008 9 26 星期五 下午 4:00

          I had never heard of VKR before but use something similar with my students. I give them a sheet on which there are 4 boxes:
          1. I haven't seen this word before but it is very similar to a word in my language.
          2. I haven't seen this word before but I can work out its meaning from context.
          3. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context but that doesn't affect my overall understanding of the text.
          4. I haven't seen this word before, I can't work out its meaning from context and unfortunately that does affect my overall understanding of the text.

          I give students a page of text to work through and it is interesting to see how words initially put in box 4 then migrate to either boxes 2 or 3 later in the passage.

          Anyone tried anything similar?

          Jeremy Taylor, Brno, Czech Republic
          www.jeremytaylor. eu

          付費才容量無上限?Yahoo!奇摩電子信箱2.0免費給你,信件永遠不必刪! - 馬上體驗
        • dk
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2009
            I think we're going to see more and more reports like this one below from
            Cnet. (I have an HTC Windows cell phone. I just finished listening to an
            audiobook of Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell on my
            phone.) - Dave Kees

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            iPhone's killer app: E-books?
            by Dave Rosenberg

            O'Reilly's Ben Lorica took a look (slides below) at the developers behind
            the most successful applications on the iPhone and found that electronic
            books may be the killer app, simply because there is a such of wealth of
            offerings.

            According to ReadWriteWeb, Apple's App Store features about 40,000 different
            apps. Based on recent data, game developers have on average, 2.3 apps in the
            store while typical e-book vendors have 18 apps, which obviously stacks the
            odds in their favor.

            What's interesting about this is that this news suggests that the iPhone
            really is a new breed of mini-computer in that people are using it for
            passive activities such as reading as well games and for interactive tasks
            such as e-mail.

            http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10231991-62.html
          • titus steyn
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2009
              how long before people can read Graded Readers on their mobile phones? (while listening to the audio at same time)

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

[...]

            • Beatriz Lupiano
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2009

                I have yet to try e-books, but I'm always glad to see an interest in reading regardless of its format.

                What really struck me was...did Dave R. really write "...passive activities such as reading..."?!

                Regards,
                Beatriz

                1a.

                iPhone's killer app: E-books?

                Posted by: "dk" davekees1@...   davkees

                Fri May 1, 2009 6:01 pm (PDT)

[...]

                Back to top
                Messages in this
              • Kieran Mcgovern
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                  I've been looking into this recently. The consensus seems to be that the new
                  e-readers - particularly Kindle 2 and the Sony Reader - are developing to a
                  point where they offer a genuinely pleasurable option for reading. Phones
                  still have big limitations - screen size, back-lighting and so on - but they
                  have the gigantic advantage that most potential e-readers already carry
                  them. A large segment of the market doesn't want the fuss and complication
                  of carrying an extra gadget (this gives the IPhone an edge over discreet MP3
                  players, too).

                  A good development is that we seem to moving towards a common standard -
                  (e-pub).

                  Kieran McGovern
                  http://www.eslreading.org
                • dk
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                    It just sounds better and better. Books in 60 seconds? Carry a whole library
                    under your arm and students have all of the college textbooks in it? Better
                    and better.

                    BBC: "Are we ready to say bye to books?

                    "Amazon's vision is to allow user access to every book that has ever been
                    printed, in any language, and all in less than 60 seconds. Titles already
                    available include Irish classics such as Ulysses and the Narnia books, and
                    the works of famous literary greats, Seamus Heaney, Oscar Wilde and George
                    Bernard Shaw.

                    "Without printing and shipping costs, books could be cheaper and struggling
                    with your books would be a thing of the past. A whole term's worth of books
                    could easily be stored in the device.

                    "Kindle is the first to use wireless technology which enables users to buy
                    and download books from a virtual store in 60 seconds."

                    More:

                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8038079.stm
                  • Philip Prowse
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                      Hi all

                      Eric Baber in his blog today has a rather different take on e-books
                      from Dave - worth looking at I think.

                      http://www.ericbaber.com/blog/index.php/2009/05/08/of_ebooks_and_ebook_readers

                      Best

                      Philip