The Moodle Reader quiz module for graded readers ready for trialling!

  • Thomas N. Robb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
      Dear Colleagues,

      The Moodle Reader Module is ready for some teachers to try with their students on a trial basis this coming September.  I am now looking for teachers -- or even entire English language programs --  that would like to participate.  We now have quizzes available on approximately 300 graded readers including some on popular "youth literature" for the higher level students. (You may well have Graded Readers in your library for which quizzes are still not available. We will work with you to fill any gaps.)

      Outline of the Reader Module

      The Reader Module is a module that is easily installed in a Moodle site and permits students to take quizzes on the graded readers that they have read in order to "prove" that they have read and comprehended their books. The quizzes are general in nature and are taken with books open, so they do not test memory but rather comprehension.

      A target point goal is set for each student, and as they read and pass quizzes, they collect "stamps" of the book covers for each successful quiz.  Interactive reports are available so that the teacher can track their students' progress.

      If you have access to a Moodle server, the module can be installed on it. Alternately, you can use a server that I will provide.

      A fuller report on the system is available at: http://tomrobb.org/reader.doc. This is an in-progress draft of an article, so feedback is warmly welcomed. Access information to our current server is included therein.

      I look forward to hearing from you!

      Cheers,
        Tom Robb

      --

      ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
      ** <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
        Hi everyone,
           Tom Robb has just announced his Moodle Reader quiz module here.  I just want to make sure people know I am not copying his idea as I have my own Moodle testing site. It has been up and running for three years.  Neither of us copied each other.  We just both had the same good idea. The big difference is I wrote every single test myself so there is consistency. I am also willing to let people use my tests for free provided:

        -Their students do a standardized pretest / posttest such as TOEFL / SLEP  etc. before starting ER and at the end of the school year.
        -I get to use the data. (I want to look at several questions for my doctorate.)

        In case anyone is wondering if one person could create enough tests to be useful, here is my current list of about 400 titles.  Basically I am starting with the easiest graded readers and moving up. At this point I am adding another test every other day.

        Daniel

        Level 1 Books
         Alissa (Macmillan)
         Anita's Big Day (Penguin)
         April in Moscow (Penguin)
         Arcade, The (Macmillan)
         Bad Dog? Good Dog! (Thomson)
         Between Two Worlds (Penguin)
         Big Bag Mistake, The (Penguin)
         Billy and the Queen (Penguin)
         Blue Cat Club, The (Penguin)
         Blue Fins (Macmillan)
         Blue Moon Valley (Penguin)
         Bookshop Trick, The (Heinemann)
         Briefcase, The (Macmillan)
         Carnival (Penguin)
         Cave, The (Thomson)
         Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court, A (Oxford)
         Cup In The Forest, The (Penguin)
         Dangerous Journey (Heinemann)
         Dead Man's River (Penguin)
         Dino's Day in London (Penguin)
         Do I Tell? (Thomson)
         Escape (Oxford)
         Fire (Heinemann)
         Fireboy, The (Penguin)
         Flying Home (Penguin)
         Free The Dolphins (Macmillan)
         Get the Ball! (Thomson)
         Give us the Money (Oxford)
         Go Jimmy Go! (Thomson)
         Goodbye, Hello! (Thomson)
         Good Friend, A (Thomson)
         Hannah and the Hurricaine (Penguin)
         I Always Win! (Thomson)
         In The Frame (Macmillan)
         I Spy (Thomson)
         Julia Roberts (Penguin)
         Kim's Choice (Penguin)
         King Arthur (Oxford)
         Kung Fu Kid (Thomson)
         L.A. Detective (Macmillan)
         Last Photo, The (Penguin)
         Leopard and The Lighthouse, The (Penguin)
         Long Road, The (Penguin)
         Lost at Sea (Thomson)
         Lost Ship (Macmillan)
         Lucky Break (Penguin)
         Lucky Number (Macmillan)
         Magic Barber, The (Macmillan)
         Maisie and the Dolphin (Penguin)
         Marcel and the Mona Lisa (Penguin)
         Marcel and the White Star (Penguin)
         Mystery on the Island (Thomson)
         New Guitar, The (Thomson)
         Newspaper Chase (Penguin)
         New Zealand Adventure, A (Penguin)
         Old Boat, New Boat (Thomson)
         Paradise Island (Macmillan)
         Photo Finish (Macmillan)
         Quick Thinking (Thomson)
         Quiz Night (Thomson)
         Rain, Rain, Rain (Thomson)
         Ransom of Red Chief, The (Oxford)
         Robin Hood (Oxford)
         Sarah's Surprise (Thomson)
         Sara Says No! (Macmillan)
         Shipwreck, The (Thomson)
         Shooting Stars (Macmillan)
         Simon and the Spy (Penguin)
         Singer Wanted (Thomson)
         Sk8 for Jake (Thomson)
         Ski Race (Macmillan)
         Slam Dunk for Mark (Thomson)
         Song, The (Penguin)
         Star Picture (Heinemann)
         Star Reporter (Oxford)
         Sugar and Candy (Macmillan)
         Taxi of Terror (Oxford)
         Tickets, The (Thomson)
         Tinkers Farm (Penguin)
         Tinkers Island (Penguin)
         Tom Cruise (Penguin)
         Trouble at the Zoo (Thomson)
         Troy Stone (Penguin)
         Umbrella, The (Macmillan)
         Vampire Killer (Oxford)
         Well, The (Macmillan)
         White Oryx (Penguin)
         Who Wants To Be A Star? (Penguin)
         Zargon Zoo (Heinemann)

        Level 2 Books
         Ali and His Camera (Penguin)
         Amazon Rally (Penguin)
         Anna and the Fighter (Macmillan)
         Around the World in 80 Days (Oxford)
         Barcelona Game, The (Penguin)
         Battle of Newton Road (Penguin)
         Bear's Mouth, The (Thomson)
         Big Test, The (Thomson)
         Boys VS. Girls (Thomson)
         Brown Eyes (Penguin)
         Changing Places (Oxford)
         David Beckham (Penguin)
         Death in Oxford, A (Cambridge)
         Dirty Money (Cambridge)
         Drive Into Danger (Oxford)
         Fifteenth Character, The (Oxford)
         Girl at the Window, The (Cambridge)
         Girl Meets Boy (Penguin)
         Girl on a Motorcycle (Oxford)
         Great Fire of London, The (Oxford)
         House on the Hill, The (Macmillan)
         Island For Sale (Penguin)
         Jennifer Lopez (Penguin)
         Karen and the Artist (Penguin)
         Kidnap! (Oxford)
         L.A. Raid (Macmillan)
         Leonardo DiCaprio (Penguin)
         Let Me Out! (Cambridge)
         Lisa in London (Penguin)
         Long Tunnel, The (Macmillan)
         Marcel and the Shakespeare Letters (Penguin)
         Marcel Goes to Hollywood (Penguin)
         Marco (Macmillan)
         Mike's Lucky Day (Penguin)
         Missing Coins, The (Penguin)
         Money for a Motorbike (Macmillan)
         Mother Teresa (Penguin)
         Mulan (Oxford)
         Mystery in London (Oxford)
         Newspaper Boy (Macmillan)
         New York Cafe (Oxford)
         Night Visitor, The (Macmillan)
         Oranges in the Snow (Oxford)
         Orca (Oxford)
         Parallel (Cambridge)
         PELE (Penguin)
         Penang File, The (Cambridge)
         Phone Rings, The (Penguin)
         Police TV (Oxford)
         Pretty Face, A (Oxford)
         Prince William (Penguin)
         Rich Man, Poor Man (Macmillan)
         Ricky Martin (Penguin)
         Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Oxford)
         Run For Your Life (Penguin)
         Sally's Phone (Oxford)
         Sinbad (Oxford)
         Six Sketches (Penguin)
         Starman (Oxford)
         Streets of London (Penguin)
         Surfer (Penguin)
         Survive! (Oxford)
         Think Daniela! (Thomson)
         Truth Machine, The (Macmillan)
         Wall, The (Macmillan)
         What a Lottery! (Cambridge)
         Where's Lorena? (Thomson)
         Who's Best? (Thomson)
         William Tell (Oxford)
         Winner, The (Penguin)
         Wrong Man, The (Penguin)

        Level 3 Books
         Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The (Macmillan)
         Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The (Oxford)
         Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The (Penguin)
         Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp (Oxford)
         Bad Love (Cambridge)
         Big Picture, The (Cambridge)
         Billy Budd (Macmillan)
         Black Tulip (Macmillan)
         Blood Diamonds (Cambridge)
         Butler Did It, The (Oxford)
         California (Oxford)
         Christmas in Prague (Oxford)
         Coldest Place on Earth, The (Oxford)
         Commerce (Oxford)
         Crane's Gift, The (Penguin)
         Crown, The (Penguin)
         Curse of the Mummy, The (Oxford)
         Deep Trouble (Oxford)
         Does He Love Me? (Thomson)
         Do it! (Thomson)
         Don't Stop Now (Cambridge)
         Elephant Man (Oxford)
         Emperor and the Nightingale, The (Penguin)
         Five Short Plays (Oxford)
         Football (Oxford)
         From the Heart (Oxford)
         Ghost in Love, A and Other Plays (Oxford)
         Gift of the Magi (Penguin)
         Golden Monkey, The (Thomson)
         Good Wives (Macmillan)
         Goodbye Mr Hollywood (Oxford)
         Hawk-eye the Pathfinder (Macmillan)
         Help! (Cambridge)
         Helping Hand, A (Thomson)
         Hotel Casanova (Cambridge)
         House in the Picture and Abbot Thomas' Treasure, The (Macmillan)
         House of the Seven Gables, The (Penguin)
         Inspector Logan (Cambridge)
         Jane Eyre (Macmillan)
         John Doe (Cambridge)
         John Lennon (Keirinkan)
         Just Like a Movie (Cambridge)
         Last Leaf, The and Other Stories (Macmillan)
         Last of the Mohicans, The (Macmillan)
         Let's Party! (Thomson)
         Little Princess, A (Oxford)
         Little Women (Macmillan)
         Little Women (Penguin)
         Lorna Doone (Macmillan)
         Lost Wallet, The (Thomson)
         Lottery Winner, The (Oxford)
         Love Online (Thomson)
         Love or Money? (Oxford)
         Man in the Iron Mask, The (Macmillan)
         Michael Jordan (Penguin)
         Mill on the Floss, The (Macmillan)
         Monkey's Paw (Oxford)
         Murder of Mary Jones, The (Oxford)
         Mutiny on the Bounty (Oxford)
         My Mom, the Movie Star (Thomson)
         Ned Kelly (Oxford)
         Next Door to Love (Cambridge)
         No, You Can't (Thomson)
         Old Promise, The (Thomson)
         Omega Files, The (Oxford)
         One Way Ticket (Oxford)
         Passort to Danger (Oxford)
         Phantom of the Opera, The (Macmillan)
         Phantom of the Opera (Oxford)
         Picture Puzzle (Macmillan)
         Pocahontas (Oxford)
         Pollution (Oxford)
         President's Murderer, The (Oxford)
         Prisoner of Zenda, The (Macmillan)
         Real McCoy, The (Oxford)
         Remember Miranda (Oxford)
         Rip Van Winkle (Penguin)
         Rumpelstiltskin (Penguin)
         Scotland (Oxford)
         Secret Tunnel, The (Thomson)
         Sherlock Holmes and the Duke's Son (Oxford)
         Sherlock Holmes and the Sport of Kings (Oxford)
         Sherlock Holmes: The Blue Diamond (Oxford)
         Sherlock Holmes Two Plays (Oxford)
         Signalman, The and the Ghost at the Trial (Macmillan)
         Snow Queen, The (Penguin)
         Story Shop Gounded (Penguin)
         Tale of Two Cities, A (Macmillan)
         Teacher's Secret, The (Oxford)
         Tempest, The (Oxford)
         Thief in the Village, A (Penguin)
         Three Tomorrows (Cambridge)
         Trouble at Sea (Thomson)
         True Heroes of Sport (Oxford)
         Trumpet-Major, The (Macmillan)
         Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Penguin)
         Under the Moon (Oxford)
         Washington Square (Macmillan)
         Wild West, The (Oxford)
         Witches of Pendle, The (Oxford)
         Withered Arm, The (Oxford)
         Wizard of Oz (Oxford)
         Wrong Trousers, The (Oxford)

        Level 4 Books
         Agatha Christie, Woman of Mystery (Oxford)
      • stewart_reading@mac.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
          Hi again,
          In case anyone is wondering if one person could create enough tests to be useful, here is my current list of about 400 titles.  Basically I am starting with the easiest graded readers and moving up. At this point I am adding another test every other day.

          Daniel
        • Rob Waring
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
            Hi

            Wouldn't it be great if these tests were available say through the Extensive Reading Foundation for all to use?

            Rob

            At 06:38 AM 6/18/2008, stewart_reading@... wrote:

[...]

            Cheers

            Rob

            waring_robert@...
            Skype: waring_robert

          • stewart_reading@mac.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
              Hi Rob,
                  As I said, I hope people will use my tests, but I want the data generated by the students. For example, every time a students takes one of my tests they are randomly assigned 5 questions out of the ten or so I made for each book. They are also asked this question-

              “How many times did you use a dictionary while reading this book?”

              As they will have done a pre and post test I can look into how dictionary use influences their improvement in English. (There will be other factors such as number of words read etc.)

              For my doctorate I plan on studying several aspects of ER such as dictionary use etc. I hope to have thousands of subjects at different levels (uni / high school / jr high) all over the world.

              It doesn’t really make sense to just turn my tests over to the ER Foundation to distribute. If I do that, there will be less incentive for people to join my research projects. Besides, I am constantly adding tests so I do not want to add another layer of complexity. If someone wants to use my tests, they can talk to me.

              Daniel