a budget windfall! Oh, but how to spend it all?

  • Ron Murphy
    Message 1 of 58 , Feb 26, 2008
      Hi all. I have a problem. A wonderful problem, actually. I'm
      wondering if anyone out there could help me:

      I have -- suddenly -- been given a rather generous budget to spend on
      reading material for our Center's student support room. Gee, poor
      me, eh? Yeah, I thought that would be your reaction.

      Anyway, I'm fairly well-versed in the area of graded readers. But I
      am looking to add other types of reading material -- encyclopedias,
      maps, posters, magazines, manuals, cook books, etc. If anyone knows
      good materials along these lines, I am very open for suggestions.
      The money must be spent within about three weeks. I am at a
      university, average student's English ability is false beginner,
      though there are plenty of others who fill the range from high
      beginner to (a few) advanced.

      Regards,

      Ron
    • EPER Enquiries
      Message 58 of 58 , Jun 17, 2008
        Dear All

        I think Rob is right and that I should put the EPER level chart on the EPER website.  It will take some time to get that organised so I attach it in the meantime.

        I concede that it spreads over several pages but I hope not so many as to require a kitchen (or any other!) table.

        As Julian says, the EPER booklists do offer a quality rating.  I find myself somewhat alarmed how adminstrators of reading schemes seem to want as many different titles as possible.  There are several  things to be said against this practice.  One is that some titles are very poor.  Admittedly reading a bad book helps one understand what makes a good book but you need to be a pretty committed and experienced reader to persevere with a bad book.  Another is that having a very wide choice reduces the chance of anyone else reading the same book.  I would rather get multiple copies of titles that have proved themselves.

        I am sorry if EPER prices seem extortionate and am grateful to Julian for his support.  The current (since last year) prices are:

        £60 for all the titles (approx since 1960) which you will only need if you have in your library ageing readers from bygone generations.

        £20 for a list of the readers currently in print.

        £10 for a list of those in print that I rate 4 or 5 out of 5.

        I have given you the EPER level in the table attached.  The extra offered by the lists is the quality rating, author, isbn, genre, age of target reader and gender of protagonist.  I am, however, struggling to keep it up to date and have over 100 titles wating to be added.  I ought to organise some form of updating on a regular basis.  Any ideas?

        Best wishes

        David

        David R Hill
        Project Director