Online Comics Now Helping Students Write, Read and Tell Stories in English and Spanish, More Characters Added

  • wmz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
      Dear group,
      Last year, when we first launched our storytelling comic strip
      generator -- www.MakeBeliefsComix.com -- you were among the first to
      give us your support and encouragement for providing a useful
      educational resource for ESOL and literacy students.
      We have just upgraded the site to enable users to also write their
      comics in Spanish as well as in English -- a request made by many
      educators -- and we have added more fun characters in response to user
      suggestions. Since the site was launched more 150,000 educators in
      more than 150 countries are using our free resource to encourage
      writing, reading, literacy and storytelling.
      I hope you will try out our new features and share them with your
      community of colleagues and students.
      All good wishes to you for the new year, and thank you again for your
      support.
      Bill Zimmerman

      http://webmail.aol.com
    • Rob Waring
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
        Hi all,

        I'm searching for some quotable quotes on the benefits of extensive reading.
        e.g.
        • When second language learners read for pleasure, they can continue to improve in the second language without classes, without teachers, without study and even without people to converse with.� Krashen, 1993.
        • The best way to improve your knowledge of a foreign language is to go and live among its speakers. The second best way is to read in it. Nuttall
        • Free voluntary reading may be the most powerful tool we have in language education. In fact, it appears to good to be true. It is an effective way of increasing literacy and language development, with strong impact on reading comprehension, vocabulary, grammar and writing. It is also very pleasant. Krashen
        Do you know any more?

        Cheers

        Rob

        waring_robert@...
        Skype: waring_robert

      • Smith Ken
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
          Rob,

          I've been reading "Reading Without Nonsense" (2006) by Frank Smith and came across two quotes from this book. It's not Extensive Reading per se, so they may or may not be what you are looking for.

          "Reading is THE fundamental human activity. Everything we do depends on the way we make sense of the world and our place in it. Unless we can read the situation we are in, there is no reason for doing anything." (page 1)

          "Children don't need nonsense in order to learn to read; they need to read. Let me repeat: TO LEARN TO READ, LEARNERS NEED TO READ." (page 12)

          (In the book the capitalized words are in italics.)

          Ken

[...]

          waring_robert@ yahoo.com
          Skype: waring_robert

        • Julian Bamford
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
            "A major way to round out a reading program is to introduce extensive
            reading material into the curriculum." William Grabe (1986)

            "Reading... must be developed , and can only be developed, by means of
            extensive and continual practice. People learn to read, and to read
            better, by reading." David Eskey (1986)

            "Any ESL. EFL, or L1 classroom will be the poorer for the lack of an
            extensive reading programme of some kind, and will be unable to promote
            its pupils' language development in all aspects as effectively as if
            such a programme were present." Colin Davis (1995)

            Rob, it would be great if you could assemble all these and, say, ask
            Tom Robb to put them on the Extensive Reading Pages.
            http://www.extensivereading.net/

            --Julian
          • George Jacobs
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008

              I’m a big fan of quotes, so even though few if any of these are what Rob is looking for, I thought I’d send them along. –george jacobs

              Teaching reading to people who hate books is like teaching swimming to people who hate water

                                      David Eskey, reading researcher

              Reading is like an infectious disease: it is caught not taught.

                                                  Christine Nuttall, 1989, Teaching reading skills in a foreign language. Oxford : Heinemann Educational Books, p. 192.

              If the students stop reading when the reading class ends, the course has not achieved what such a course should achieve.

              David Eskey 1986, p. 21, Teaching Second Language Reading for Academic Purposes, Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley.

              A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
                                      Arab Proverb

              There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island .

                                      Walt Disney

              When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls.  What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story’s voice makes everything its own.

              John Berger

              People ought to read just as inclination leads them, for what they read as a task will do them little good

                                      Samuel Johnson

              The joy of reading is not necessarily what you read, but in what you allow your mind to believe when you read it.

                                      Jeffrey Knight

              There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all.

                                      Jacqueline Kennedy

              I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me.  I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life.  As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.

              Malcolm X

              The person who doesn't read is no better off than the person who can't read.

                                      Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, p. 296

              The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them.

              Mark Twain, cited in Parenting’s Smart Starts 2000, p. 16, published by Parenting magazine

              The top ten ways to become a better reader are: Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, Read

                                      Anonymous

              In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you

                                      Mortimer Adler

              Travel Far, Pay No Fare… a book can take you anywhere.

                                      Anne Linbergh, Travel Far Pay No Fare

              Reading is thinking

                                      Oak Creek Elementary School , Lewis Center , Ohio , USA

              A book is a gift you can open again and again

                                      Anonymous

              All readers are good readers, when they have the right book.

                                      Jeanne Henry, If Not Now: Developmental Readers in the College Classroom

              Good children's literature appeals not only to the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child.

              Anonymous

              You don't know what you see; you only see what you know.

                                                              Kenneth Goodman, paper given at 1994 RELC Seminar

              Outside of a dog, a book is man's [a person's] best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read anyway.

                                      Groucho Marx , U.S. comedian from the first half of the 20th century

              Asking low proficiency students to read authentic materials in like asking them to drink water from a high pressure fire hose.

                                      Author unknown

              You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get people to stop reading them.”

                                      Ray Bradbury

              If we teach a child to read yet develop not the taste for reading, all our teaching is for naught. We shall have produced a nation of 'illiterates' -- who know how to read, but do not read. The major purpose for teaching children to read is to help them become readers who readily turn to books for information and enjoyment.

              Charlotte Huck, 1973, Elementary School Language Arts, Rand McNally

              I tell my students, “You only have to read on days that end in y.  You can have all the other days off!”

                                      Cindy Wesseling, elementary school teacher, Ohio , USA

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                I have this one from Julian and Richard at the top of the Extensive Reading page
                (http://www.eslreading.org/Teaching/Teaching/extensivereading.html) on my site:

                ... Reading is no different from other learned human abilities such as driving, cooking, playing
                golf, or riding a bicycle: the more you do it, the more fluent and skilful you become...'
              • Beth Pierce
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

                  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find graded readers in French, or a site which focuses on extensive reading in French?  I just know it has to exist.  I really have tried to find such sites, and such lists.  Merci....French teacher in Mississippi...Beth Pierce

                • Smith Ken
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                    Beth,

                    Here are two I found:

                    Check the left side of the website for Graded Readers. It lists GR's for different ages.

                    This one looks like a "gold mine" for you.

                    Best of Luck,

                    Ken Smith
                    Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                    Kaohsiung, Taiwan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                      Beth,

                      Here's another one. Students in the French department at the college I teach at use this series. I forgot about this one...

                      Ken

                      Can anyone point me in the right direction to find graded readers in French, or a site which focuses on extensive reading in French?  I just know it has to exist.  I really have tried to find such sites, and such lists.  Merci....French teacher in Mississippi. ..Beth Pierce

                    • Rosemary Schmid
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                        Don't you love the Internet, where people in Taiwan and Mississippi USA can help each other out? There's our hope for the future.

                        If you're a citizen of the USA, don't forget to vote!

                        Rosemary

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

                            Here's another reading quote, (I like them, too) but I'm curious, what is the point of putting these all together into some sort of list, book or collection when there already is one?

                            Those who do not develop the pleasure reading habit simply don't have a chance - they will have a very difficult time reading and writing at a level high enough to deal with the demands of today's world. Reading enhances literacy development leading to an uncontroversial conclusion: Reading is good for you. Reading is the only way we become good readers, develop a good writing style, an adeqate vocabulary, advanced grammar, and the only way we become good spellers.

                              - Stephen Krashen -

                            From "Books and Reading: A Book of Quotations"
                            (Edited by Bill Bradfield, 2002)

                            http://www.amazon.com/Books-Reading-Quotations-Thrift-Editions/dp/0486424634/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

                            Ken Smith

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                              Dear Every one on the List,

                              Longman print the number of words of
                              each new title of Penguin Readers and Penguin Active Reading.
                              It is printed on the back cover of each book.

                              I appreciate the fact that Longman counted the words and gave
                              us the information, but I am afraid some of them seem incorrect.

                              Do not believe the word counts of the following titles:
                              SSS PEARSON Ratio SERIES Titles
                              11300 40840 3.61 PGR4 Macbeth
                              11000 20738 1.89 PGR3 Canterbury Tales, The
                              13000 23566 1.81 PGR3 Vanity Fair
                              19000 33680 1.77 PGR5 Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The
                              1200 2077 1.73 PGR1 Six Sketches
                              2600 4128 1.59 PGR2 Extreme Sports
                              6700 4514 0.67 PGR2 Ghost of Genny Castle, The
                              17000 11305 0.67 PGR4 Lorna Doone
                              18000 11768 0.65 PGR3 Thirty-Nine Steps, The
                              2500 1524 0.61 PGR1 Surfer!
                              30000 17176 0.57 PGR5 Rebecca
                              23000 12213 0.53 PGR3 David Copperfield
                              41000 17893 0.44 PGR4 Go-Between, The

                              I asked Longman to recount the numbers of the words.
                              I will post hte correct data when I get the information from Longman.
                              (Of course, I might be wrong. I am going to check my own data.)

                              Besr regards,

                              FURUKAWA Akio
                              SSS