Japanese comic books (follow-up) ; GRE

  • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      Hello--

      I wrote in a few months ago about the idea of using translated manga (Japanese comics) in an ER program. I got some wonderful responses from people who are doing that, and a lot of interest from other people. Thanks again!

      The presentation that my classmate and I did at CATESOL went very well. In fact, it was standing room only! People are really intrigued by this topic. The audience members ran the gamut from certified manga junkies to parents who had only heard of it due to their kids' hobbies. I put up a new version of our handout online:
      http://www.sharedwing.net/tesol/manga/
       I'm actually still adding to it, so if you have suggestions, let me know.

      Unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to really teach with manga myself. The class I'm teaching this quarter is a GRE prep class, and it's hard to work in (it'll be even  harder with the 5-week version I'm doing this summer--though I think we might read a chapter of Harry Potter or something). I really wish these students had had some ER experience, because their vocabularies are weak when it comes to not just the super-academic "GRE Vocabulary Words," but also the entire huge category of "words we often write but rarely say aloud." So the GRE is going to be a big challenge for them, because the "supplemental" words on the GRE--the "easier" words that surround and are supposed to help you get through the reading to the official GRE Vocabulary Words, as it were--are not words that they know. Reading anything at all for pleasure in English would have helped them immeasurably. They're all smart and are pretty dedicated students, and they would have really benefited from some ER.

      If anyone happens to know of any print or online GRE resources that are specifically targeted at second language learners, especially reading, please let me know. I haven't found anything, and all the standard GRE prep materials rely on making use of knowledge that my students don't have, particularly since none of them speak any European languages.

      Thanks again! Now, back to my thesis project, which is due in 11 days...

      P. S. It was great to meet some ER ML members at TESOL in Seattle. Thanks for being so welcoming!

      --
      Clarissa C. S. Ryan
      wintersweet@...

      http://www.readableblog.com/