Re: No stronger evidence?

  • Rory Rosszell
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 1, 2006
      Dave Kees wrote:

      Is that true? According to my understanding of Krashen's Comprehensible
      Input theory, ER should be more than enough to help students gain
      competency. Have I really misread Krashen?

      Although Krashen stated on this list that he has never claimed that ER (only) is sufficient for language development, if you look at the quotation below, you can certainly see how people have developed that impression.

      Reading is good for you.  The research supports a stronger conclusion, however: Reading is the only way, the only way we become good readers, develop a good writing style, an adequate vocabulary, advanced grammar, and the only way we become good spellers (Krashen, 1993, p. 23).

      And although he supports a role for instruction, as he stated on this list a few years back, it is certainly a very limited one.

      I am not saying that comprehensible input (with a low filter) will
      make an adult second language acquirer perfect.  But it will take the
      acquirer a long way, as far as one can go.  And added form-based
      activities won't bring you any closer, except for performance in
      highly monitored situations
      (Krashen, 2003, March 3).

      Rory Rosszell
      Rory Rosszell
      Tohoku University
      Center for the Advancement of Higher Education
      41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku
      Sendai 980-8576
      Japan
      E-mail: rosszell@...
      Tel/Fax: 022-795-3370
    • Brett Reynolds
      Message 42 of 42 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Oct 2, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Rory Rosszell wrote:

        Dear Brett,

        I'm curious to know, is that what you do with your students?

        I'm assuming that Rory is asking whether my students do nothing but ER.

        Not at all! Extensive reading is just one aspect of our program.

        Best,
        Brett

        Brett Reynolds
        English Language Centre
        Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada