[ExtensiveReading] Award finalist books announced

  • Julian Bamford
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
      Dear all,
      At the IATEFL Conference in Harrogate UK this week, Alan Maley
      announced the finalist books for the 2006 Language Learner Literature
      Award. From new graded readers nominated by publishers, the Extensive
      Reading Foundation international award jury chose six finalist
      books--three books for Adolescents & Adults, and three for Young
      Learners. They are:

      Young Learners
      The Slippery Planet by Rosemary Hayes (Cambridge Storybooks Level 4)
      The Special Cake by June Crebbin (Cambridge Storybooks Level 4)
      Thumbelina retold by Sue Arengo (Oxford Classic Tales Beginner 2)

      Adolescents & Adults
      The Amazon Rain Forest by Bernard Smith (Penguin Readers, Elementary,
      Level 2)
      Ned Kelly: a True Story by Christine Lindop (Oxford Bookworms Library
      Stage 1)
      Within High Fences by Penny Hancock (Cambridge English Readers Level 2)

      Now the fun begins. For the next three months, you and your students
      can read the books in your category and vote online for your favorite.
      It could be a class project, with all the students choosing one
      favorite, or each student can vote individually.

      Voting is on the Extensive Reading Foundation website:
      http://www.erfoundation.org/
      Click on the banner headline "Obtain Books and Vote for the 2006 LLL
      Awards Now!"

      In past years, some people (including me) have had difficulty buying
      the newly-published finalist books in time to vote, so this year the
      voting page has a link to an independent bookshop where you can buy the
      books online.

      Voting closes on July 14, 2006. The jury will take into account votes
      and voter comments in order to pick a winner in each category.

      I plan to use this award to raise enthusiasm for reading in English
      among my students--by inviting as many of them as possible to read,
      vote and comment.

      Best wishes,
      Julian